Need Prosport Gauge help/Feedback.

njintau_fsd

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
What's up guys:

So I installed a Prosport Performance 52mm Electric Oil Pressure Gauge (Amber/White) (216BFWAOP270PSI) in my MSP a little over 6 months back. The gauge ran fine for a month or two then started giving me weird readings. First, it would show oil pressure at 20-40 psi, (sometimes 60-80) at cold start, then after the car had warmed up, it would drop to zero. If I ran the A/C, the needle would either go to max or jump around. Thinking that it might be bad wires, I replaced the wires I used before with 16AWG insulated Stereo Wire and grounded the sender at the strut tower post by the battery and grounded the gauge in the cabin by the fuse box. Now it doesn't even run although it lights up and does the needle sweep just fine. :( Doing some research, I found a lot of angry reviews on prosport gauges, specifically the senders, which has me a tad worried.

So, my questions are:

1) Has anyone else installed this style of gauge before? Were there any issues? If so, were you able to fix them and how?
2) Are there any tests I can run to root out the problem?
3) If the sender is to blame, is there a another model sender I can use in place of the one that came with the gauge?

Btw, I used 16 and 18 gauge wire along with inline crimp connectors. I checked and double checked for any loose connections and I've checked the grounds, they're fine as far as I can tell. Once again, the gauge lights up (both colors) plus does the needle sweep, it just doesn't do anything else now.

I would really prefer to keep this gauge because 1) I like the way it looks, 2) money is tight and I don't have any on hand to buy an Autometer or an HKS.

Thanks in advance! :D

There was one of these in my 2nd MSP when I purchased it a couple years ago. It would do the needle sweep just fine, but would then start bouncing around - ended up being a faulty gauge. Something I noticed about it though is that factory wiring isn't all that great and frayed at the connector to the sender, so it wouldn't have worked anyways. Sounds like you used your own wires though.

Since it does the self test and then reads nothing, I'm guessing it's not getting any input from the sender. It could be electrical related, or it could be a gauge or sender malfunction. There's a possibility that one of your wires is shorting out/cut somewhere between the sender and the gauge that's not at a connection point. Your other option is to contact ProSport and see what they have to say about it. If it's only 6 months old, is it still under warranty?

Cool, thanks for the input. I guess I'll start by testing the wires for continuity and then resistance at the sender and see what Prosport thinks of the results...

So looks like the sender is toast. :/

Has anybody tried using a sender from another brand to work with their prosport gauge?

I'd appreciate any input here!

------------

Edit: I went back and rechecked the resistance at the sender because last time, I had forgotten to reconnect it before testing it. With Engine off, the sender read 2.4 ohms, with engine running, it read 0 ohms. I also decided to test the gauge to rule it out as a possibility. With the key in ON first, I removed the signal wire and grounded it to see if the gauge did anything, nothing. After just leaving the signal wire hanging, the gauge still did nothing (according to some research, the gauge was supposed to read at max pressure when the wire was disconnected.) The only time the gauge did anything was when I briefly touched the signal wire to the signal output on the sender, then the needled jumped. I'm starting to think that the gauge itself is at fault and it isn't sending the 12V signal to the sender.

I know I'm talking to myself at this point but I figured I'd just put this on here for anyone else who has issues with their electric oil pressure gauges in the future.

Last edited:
Back