Need Parts Recommendations - Fuel Injectors, Distributor Cap/Rotor and O2 Sensors

Fraya713

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Doing some maintenance on my car and wanted some advise.

Can anyone recommend me some quality Fuel Injectors, a Distributor Cap And Rotor if Applicable, and Oxygen Sensors for my 2002 MP5?

Thank you all!

oem injectors, there is no distributor cap - has 2 coils on plugs and 2 wires going to other 2 plugs, denso o2 sensors...............rockauto is good source for coils if not doing oem, ngk wires, denso sensors get part numbers and search the web if not doing oem. NGK copper BKR5 plugs are good price, oem & is nothing that'll make it do any better. You can run NGK copper ZFR5's that are long reach and will smooth idle a bit but not much else.

Last edited:
Regular maintenance would be plugs, wires/coils, oil & filter, air filter, o2 sensor, no reason to replace much else unless its broken.

Thanks guys, for O2 Sensors - it's just the upstream and downstream right? Just the two?

The ECU keeps a pretty good eye on the O2 sensors.
There's 11 different codes the car can throw about the O2 sensors.
It should let you know when to replace them.
New ones can't hurt but may not be worth the expense.

Last edited:
The ECU keeps a pretty good eye on the O2 sensors.
There's 11 different codes the car can throw about the O2 sensors.
It should let you know when to replace them.
New ones can't hurt but may not be worth the expense.

O2 sensors are still considered general wear and tear items, and regular replacement (every 100k or so) is recommended.

If you're close to or over 100k, I would highly recommend you to change the Timing belt, Timing belt tenssioners, and Water Pump. Auto Zone sells the whole timing belt kit which includes the water pump timing belt and tenssioners for around $150. Really easy to do. And if you need help putting the car back in timing when you do it just let me know.

Now go back and do the camshaft seals since they weren't done when you did the rest................

If you're close to or over 100k, I would highly recommend you to change the Timing belt, Timing belt tenssioners, and Water Pump. Auto Zone sells the whole timing belt kit which includes the water pump timing belt and tenssioners for around $150. Really easy to do. And if you need help putting the car back in timing when you do it just let me know.

do you have a part number for this kit?

O2 sensors are still considered general wear and tear items, and regular replacement (every 100k or so) is recommended.

Aparently the O2 sensors start to slow down when they age so new sensors can only be good,...

However,.. One guy wrote in the he didn't notice any change at all in performance or mileage after replacing both.

I'm personally going to wait for my ECU to say that I'm inverting too slowly (wearing out).

p0133_zpsrfmk3dur.jpg

Now go back and do the camshaft seals since they weren't done when you did the rest................

Another guy wrote in that he replaced his cam seals (thinking it would be prudent,... his weren't leaking), but the new ones did start leaking. He has done them three times now. His advice is to leave them alone if they're not leaking.

I'm glad I "forgot" to do mine when I did my T-belt...

(Two examples of "Leave well enough alone" or "Don't put and old saddle on a new horse" (or rust turd))

Thanks for all the comments guys, my Protege5 is in decent shape, needs some TLC though.

It's almost at 120k miles and the check engine light recently came on and I'm getting absolutely terrible gas mileage - like 250 miles a tank on a good day..
Here's what I've purchased so far:

02 Sensors
Denso 234-4752 Oxygen Sensor
Denso 234-4721 Oxygen Sensor

Fuel Pump Kit & Filter
950-0124 Denso Fuel Pump Kit with Filter

Spark Plugs
NGK # 5464 Iridium Spark Plugs

Spark Plug Wires
NGK (5659) ZE76 Spark Plug Wire Set

Oil and Oil/Air Filter
Royal Purple 5W‑30 SAE
K&N PS-1008 Pro Series Oil Filter
K&N 33-2134 High Performance Replacement Air Filter

PCV Valve
OEM 9751 PCV Valve

Need to clean the EGR also, bought a new canadian EGR a couple years ago.

I also need to buy new Motor Mounts as they're pretty much shot, and the Time Belt Kit I'm looking at purchasing - Need to save some money for these though..

http://onlinemazdaparts.com/
Mechanical Catalog - 2002 - Mazda - Protege5
engine, mounts, mount Protege 2.0L Side Auto Trans $108.23
engine, mounts, mount Protege 2.0L Front $54.48
engine, mounts, trans mount Protege 2.0L Auto Trans $75.10
engine, mounts, mount Protege 2.0L Rear Auto Trans $47.85
Sub Total: $285.66

And the Timing Belt Kit I'm getting:
http://store.propartsusa.com/propar...ege_5_2002_to_2003_20l/tbk10221/i-544957.aspx

Any advise you guys can give or anything else I'm missing or think should be taken care of?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments guys, my Protege5 is in decent shape, needs some TLC though.

It's almost at 120k miles and the check engine light recently came on and I'm getting absolutely terrible gas mileage - like 250 miles a tank on a good day..

02 Sensors

Fuel Pump Kit & Filter

Spark Plugs

Spark Plug Wires

Oil and Oil/Air Filter
Royal Purple 5W‑30 SAE

PCV Valve
OEM 9751 PCV Valve

I also need to buy new Motor Mounts as they're pretty much shot, and the Time Belt Kit I'm looking at purchasing - Need to save some money for these though..

http://store.propartsusa.com/propar...ege_5_2002_to_2003_20l/tbk10221/i-544957.aspx

Any advise you guys can give or anything else I'm missing or think should be taken care of?

250 miles a tank is horrible i get 250 miles for about 1/2-just under 2/3rds a tank. i have those same ngk plugs they help with throttle response some but this car is still slow. put a k and n drop in filter in it, that bumped my mpg up 1 or 2 every tank. other than that you covered just about everything i can think of.

No need to replace the fuel pump, keep it simple don't waste your money throwing parts at the car it doesn't need.

02 Sensors

Fuel Pump Kit & Filter

Spark Plugs

Spark Plug Wires

Oil and Oil/Air Filter
Royal Purple 5W‑30 SAE

PCV Valve
OEM 9751 PCV Valve

Have you checked what the trouble codes are?

You can get a bluetooth ELM327 adapter for around 10 bucks, and read codes and data using your smart phone with the Torque app. Works excellent.

Also, there's no need to replace the fuel injectors. Just run a good fuel system cleaner like Seafoam or Techron. Before you change the plugs, get a can of seafoam and suck a third of it through the brake booster vacuum line, and dump the rest in the gas tank. It'll work the carbon out of the intake, intake valves, and combustion chamber.

Last edited:
Have you checked what the trouble codes are?

You can get a bluetooth ELM327 adapter for around 10 bucks, and read codes and data using your smart phone with the Torque app. Works excellent.
I had autozone do it, but I lost the e-mail I saved the codes on, they were pretty generic and could have been a number of things from the above I'm replacing.. I'll have to check that bluetooth ELM327 out out!

Also, there's no need to replace the fuel injectors. Just run a good fuel system cleaner like Seafoam or Techron. Before you change the plugs, get a can of seafoam and suck a third of it through the brake booster vacuum line, and dump the rest in the gas tank. It'll work the carbon out of the intake, intake valves, and combustion chamber.
I've done multiple Seafoam treatments and it hasn't helped the shittiness that is going on with the car.. basically why I've decided to simply buy new parts.. the cars over 13 years old.

hornsfan is correct if the pump is putting out good pressure no need to replace it. i feel the same with o2 sensors i do not replace them unless a check engine light code shows one is failing.

Back