Need new tires for daughter's 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD

Daughter is a newer driver. She does both highway and local driving.

My number one concern is safety, especially in wet conditions. May encounter some snow, as well, but we're not in an area that needs snow tires.

Longer life in a tire would be a bonus, but not worried about road noise.

Bought the car used with Uniroyal 225/65 r17 on car. Tires are near end of life with some dry rot, so want to change out sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

My concerns mirror yours as wet performance is high on my list. I don't have any experience with the Scorpion but run Continental DWS on all my vehicles including a 2019 CX5. I also put these on my daughter's 2015 CX5.

... highway and local driving ... number one concern is safety, especially in wet conditions ... some snow, as well, but we're not in an area that needs snow tires ... Longer life in a tire would be a bonus, ...

Nicely, there are an increasing number of tires with the 3PMSF "severe service" designation, a step beyond typical 3-season tires.

TireRack, by the way, has a nice set of Reviews/Charts based on customers' opinions on experiences with the tires they've purchased. Allows you to change the priorities for various factors (ie, rain, snow, tread life, noise). Can be an additional bit of information for several tires you might be considering.

Some tires I might suggest looking at. These are all-weather type all-seasons, with notable wet grip and acceptable winter grip.

• Michelin CrossClimate2 -- 225/65-17 102H SL, 3PMSF, 640BA, 60Kmi warranty
  • Nokian Encompass AW01 -- 225/65-17 106H XL, 3PMSF, 600AA, 60Kmi warranty
  • Nokian Remedy WR G5 (or the WR G4) -- 225/65-17 106H XL, 3PMSF, 60Kmi warranty
  • Bridgestone WeatherPeak -- 225/65-17 102H SL, 3PMSF, 700AA, 70Kmi warranty
  • Vredestein Quatrac Pro -- 225/65-17 106V XL, 3PMSF, 400AA, 50Kmi warranty
  • Yokohama Geolandar CV 4S -- 225/65-17 102H SL, 3PMSF, 660AA, 60Kmi warranty
  • Firestone Weathergrip -- 225/65-17 102H SL, 3PMSF, 640AA, 65Kmi warranty

Have the Nokian WR G4, myself. On the third year with them. Exceptional wet weather grip, decent snow grip (though not a 'snow/ice' tire), and good mileage. I imagine the Encompass AW01 tire is nearly as good.

A couple people I know have the Michelin CrossClimate2 tire ... and they generally rave about them. Decent in the wet, acceptable in lighter snow.

Last edited:
A popular choice is the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3

I'll echo that choice. I moved to these Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's not long after they were introduced in 2021 and have been absolutely delighted with my purchase. I had considered Michelin CC2's and Continental LX25's but the Pirelli's ticked all the boxes of what I was looking for in an All Season tire. I was really close to getting the Michelin's but my neighbour had them and within one season they were wearing so fast (despite balancing checks) that he returned them to COSTCO where he bought them.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the General Altimax RT45 yet. When I was shopping for tires a few years ago, lots of folks on here recommended either the Conti LX25 or the Altimax RT43 (now RT45). I went with the Generals on my 2014 Sport and they are great.

Back