need more power!

Rick Jacobs

Contributor
Forgive me, because I know I already asked this once, but I forgot under what topic I posted it and caanot find it. Anyway, what is FS-ZE? I've seen those of you who have added an FS-ZE Intake cam, and I do not know what an intake cam is. I've also seen people mention FS-ZE in comparison to turbo. Are these two topics one in the same? Is FS-ZE a company or what?

That's my first question. The second is what should I add next? I have installed the AEM RAM intake. I'm looking to spend no more than $300-500. Some local friends have suggested a new header, but I wanted another MP3 owner's opinion. Thanks in advance.

FS-ZE is the engine code for the Japanese engine that's in some Familia's (Protege's). There are a few versions of that car, the Sport 20 and a few more, but I think they are all basically the same car.

Anyway, the FS-ZE engine is the same as ours except for pistons, intake cam, ecu, and a few more parts I am sure. The FS-ZE makes ~170 HP.

As for what to get next, I would say the header but lemme get my car back and I will let you know how it does.

thanks, man. That brings up a couple of more questions. How much is the FS-ZE and where can you purchase one? Are they used like the JDM engines you can get for the Civics or are they new?

they're used...i think if you can get a new one somewhere, but of course, you're gonna be paying a shitload more. most companies won't sell you an engine with a significant amount of miles on it anyway, so any used engine you would get should be in good condition. i believe on corksport.com they had one for about 2000 USD...if you looked around you might be able to save a few hundred dollars. running a turbo might be cheaper if you're competent enough do install it yourself...plus you'd get a higher output. you COULD get the fs-ze and turbo it, but since its 10.5:1 compression, there will be a high chance of deto. but i think if you have someone who can do some stand-alone tuning REALLY good...you could get it to work. hell, look at what XS did with the new celica.

Rahne, like NC_MP3 and kep0 have said already it would be cheaper to go another route. You can get some pretty good gains from dropping in the FS-ZE intake cam (the cam that is in the Japanese FS-ZE engine), the Mazdaspeed exhaust cam, and high compression pistons (mazdaspeed or the stock FS-ZE ones). The cams alone could give you around 20 horsepower more at the flywheel. You can get all of these from www.corksport.com. Hopes this helps you out. Jon.

thanks guys, I'm learning a lot. Does "at the flywheel" mean whp or bhp? Forgive my ignorance. Does anyone know what the whp for a bosal header is?

Just so you know, Mazda Motorsports sells the FS-ZE long block brand new I think...At least the price they have it on their site for, it should be new...

Just a thought...

whp= wheel horse power..power to the wheels ..der :D
bhp= Brake horsepower. i believe this stands for stupid european way of saying horsepower, dont know where the brake comes into that.. no conversion necessary, same as hp rating at the flywheel

If you go over to Mazdamotorsports.com and fill in the appropriate info in their online catalog search engine (93 Mazda MX-6, 2.0 DOHC I-4), the Bosal header will come up. The info they listed says that it can increase whp by "approximately" 8. This is the gains on the 93 MX-6 which does not have the power robbing cat right under the exhaust manifold that the MP3 has. In theory this header should give us more of a power gain by getting rid of the cat. If it does, and by how much, I don't know. Either way 8 whp is a great inprovement for $282! (plus custom installation) Hope this helps you out. :) Jon.

NYCZMP3, I live in Tinton Falls off of exit 105/109 (either or) on the Garden State Parkway. (A.K.A. Nowheresville) Its around Eatontown, Redbank, Lincroft, Shrewsbury, etc. I don't know if any of this helps you or not. The one thing I do know is that you won't be seeing me driving around for a while. I just crashed my MP3 yesterday. You can read my sob story in MP3 General. Take it easy, Jon.

Back