• (16W) Black Mica

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • (27A) Velocity Red Mica

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • (29Y) Titanium Gray Mica

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters
anarchistchiken said:
Dude, what kind of idiot do you think Ken is? He wouldnt leave off important stuff like that.
everyone knows that Ken would never let Pep Boys ruin his cred on the streets. w3rd holMZ

the car has a rear axle from a GSL-SE (limited slip differential and all wheel disc brakes) does this make any drive shaft differences?

Captain KRM P5 said:
the car has a rear axle from a GSL-SE (limited slip differential and all wheel disc brakes) does this make any drive shaft differences?
nope.. no change there.

If you're planning on getting a whole front clip, use the transmission off of that, as the stock 1st gen trannys are much weaker (much over 200hp they start exploding). The only downside of using the turbo tranny is that it is longer and will require a custom length driveshaft (not too bad.. any offroad truck guy has to do that anyway) but it's a couple hundred bucks ontop of everything else..

Most of the info you'll ever need can be found (or linked to) in this thread in the 1st gen archive; http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=108398

Standalones are more complex for sure.. but if you're going to do a full swap, then wiring up all the proper sensors from the turboII will get to be a pain as well... That is a lot of work for an ECU that will quickly become the limiting factor to making more power..

I've sat down with my mechanic (who already has a 387rwhp 13B Turbo 1st gen) and I came up with about $7k total outlay to do the project as I wanted (standalone, 60-1 turbo, FMIC etc etc etc. Should be 350+rwhp) And easy $3500 just to get a J-spec bolted up and running.

Captain KRM P5 said:
oh, and what wheels are on the car then? the gsl-se has a different bolt pattern? Do you have different wheels front and rear? :)

rx7gslse said:
nope.. no change there.

If you're planning on getting a whole front clip, use the transmission off of that, as the stock 1st gen trannys are much weaker (much over 200hp they start exploding). The only downside of using the turbo tranny is that it is longer and will require a custom length driveshaft (not too bad.. any offroad truck guy has to do that anyway) but it's a couple hundred bucks ontop of everything else..

Most of the info you'll ever need can be found (or linked to) in this thread in the 1st gen archive; http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=108398

Standalones are more complex for sure.. but if you're going to do a full swap, then wiring up all the proper sensors from the turboII will get to be a pain as well... That is a lot of work for an ECU that will quickly become the limiting factor to making more power..

I've sat down with my mechanic (who already has a 387rwhp 13B Turbo 1st gen) and I came up with about $7k total outlay to do the project as I wanted (standalone, 60-1 turbo, FMIC etc etc etc. Should be 350+rwhp) And easy $3500 just to get a J-spec bolted up and running.
200 hp in this car would be fine in all honesty. I'm not looking to have anything other than a really quick but also very streetable 1st gen. 350 to 400 horse on a 1900 lb car to the rearwheels would scare the pissing hell out of me :)

In regards to the standalone, the tuning aspect of it is just more of a headache than I want to put up with. And when you say $3500 to get the engine into the car, what all does that include?

ok, in more details I uploaded the spreadsheet I put together detailing out the project (I wanted to budget it all beforehand)

I'm sure there's a lot of places to shave $$ off of that as it was kind of a "worst case scenario" budget, but it's here.
http://www.rx7gslse.com/turboII.xls

the three colums across the top are options of whatto do with the motor, the bottom section is the parts to get the motor in the car (and knock off a grand if you're not buying a standalone)

Ken you know me I always go for tits.

But could u change it to more of a metallic finish? I think that would make tits look even better!

LZ
Z

I voted for Lava Orange Mica....(I think thats the color of the 3s right?) I voted for this because it would be easier to take your red car now and make it another type of red. Plus it would be different, but still kinda retro-ish because of the flake color. Then you could get some of those mesh like BBS wheels(kinda like the old style wheels) in bronze color and I think that would look sweeeeeeeett. But yeah... good luck y0 and keep me posted.

Familia323 said:
I voted for Lava Orange Mica....(I think thats the color of the 3s right?) I voted for this because it would be easier to take your red car now and make it another type of red. Plus it would be different, but still kinda retro-ish because of the flake color. Then you could get some of those mesh like BBS wheels(kinda like the old style wheels) in bronze color and I think that would look sweeeeeeeett. But yeah... good luck y0 and keep me posted.
The only thing i'm not a fan of with mesh style wheels is that you can't see the calipers. yeah, silly i know, but I'd kind of like to find an open/spoke style with some visibility to the rotors yet retain the retro look. picky i know :)

rx7gslse said:
oh, and what wheels are on the car then? the gsl-se has a different bolt pattern? Do you have different wheels front and rear? :)
It is converted to -SE suspension front and back.

Dude, I have almost a whole 13BT sitting not too far away. It has a hosed side seal, i think, and I sold the turbo already, but let me know if you need some parts! I've got a bunch, and a bunch of spares, to boot.

I may rebuild the core, too, and sell that, as I found an inexpensive source for VERY, VERY good apex seals. =)

flat_black said:
Dude, I have almost a whole 13BT sitting not too far away. It has a hosed side seal, i think, and I sold the turbo already, but let me know if you need some parts! I've got a bunch, and a bunch of spares, to boot.

I may rebuild the core, too, and sell that, as I found an inexpensive source for VERY, VERY good apex seals. =)
intriguing - what kind of work would it take for a side seal? what else do you have?

To replace the side seal, you are going to need to pull the engine apart, and replace all of the gaskets/seals along the way, basically. So it'd be a fresh engine. I have a lot of the accesories for the engine, and various other bits, the intake manifold, and a bunch of other stuff... If you ask, I can take a look. I have the spare intercooler, and a handful of other turbo-related parts, too.

Let me know what you want/need, and I'll see what I can do. =)

i know thier is a reinforcment bar needed to fit the 13B into the SA chassis, do you have that? wiring, ecu, pretty much anything you have would be appreciated. I am going to try and source the engine from a junker or from japan.

1900lbs really? is that a Formula Mazda?

Captain KRM P5 said:
200 hp in this car would be fine in all honesty. I'm not looking to have anything other than a really quick but also very streetable 1st gen. 350 to 400 horse on a 1900 lb car to the rearwheels would scare the pissing hell out of me :)

In regards to the standalone, the tuning aspect of it is just more of a headache than I want to put up with. And when you say $3500 to get the engine into the car, what all does that include?

Back