Need info from you guys about the CX-7

Hi,

It's been almost 4 years now that I have my Mazda 3 and I'll be changing it soon. I love the Mazda 3. Fell in love with it. It was a first year model and it had a few issues like all first year models do. I was lucky and only had an air bag sensor issue. After that the car was flawless.

With kids and a dog now the Mazda 3 needs to grow...Living in Canada I want AWD and having loved my Mazda 3 so much I'm looking at the CX-7. I've made searches here and like in the Mazda 3 forums there's the "horror stories" and first year issues. So I will wait for the 2008 model since a couple of months in my 3 is fine.

Where the Mazda 3 was loved 99% of the time by critics, I have seen some so so reviews of the CX-7. Of course, a test drive will help a lot.

Almost all complain about the initial lag which I understand a TSB was issued to take care of.

Basically, what I want to know is :

1- Is the lag is still noticeable (having owned and loved V6 in the past, I have to say I would feel more comfortable if it had a V6) ?

2- Are the check engines etc still present? I don't know who designs gas caps for Mazda but they should fire them as it was an issue with the Mazda 6, 3 and now CX-7. What is so difficult is designing a decent gas cap?

3- Does anyone know if the 2008 model will have the iPod input?

Thanks for all who chip in! (drive2)

Oliver

I encourage you to get the CX7. I'm a proud owner and I'm willing to have a helping hand to help you with your purchase.

Since getting the TSB for the lag, the ride is smooth and I love the power and handling. My CEL occurred at 1500 miles and since then, no CEL (crosses fingers). And unfortunately, still no iPod input for the 08 model.

Hey, having the first one to respond, can you get me a good discount for HID foglights? LOL

Yeah, No iPod for the Tech, and Still a Dealer accessory. And surprisingly I never got the Check Engine light, they just put in the new gas cap at my last service visit. And the Turbo lag, once you get used to it is really unoticeable, even then its very small.

Last edited:
Hi,

Basically, what I want to know is :

1- Is the lag is still noticeable (having owned and loved V6 in the past, I have to say I would feel more comfortable if it had a V6) ?

2- Are the check engines etc still present? I don't know who designs gas caps for Mazda but they should fire them as it was an issue with the Mazda 6, 3 and now CX-7. What is so difficult is designing a decent gas cap?

3- Does anyone know if the 2008 model will have the iPod input?

Thanks for all who chip in! (drive2)

Oliver

Welcome to the CX-7 section!!!

I'm the former owner of a 03 Protege ES and 04 Mazda 6 GT-V6. I currently own a 06 Mazda 3 GT and a 07 CX-7 GT, so I am familiar withthe car you are driving and the one you are considering.

1) The lag that people are talking about is only from a dead stop. If you punch the gas hard from a dead stop there is about a 1 second delay before the power kicks in and then it kicks in HARD. The PCM/TCM reflash improved this delay, but I wouldn't say its completely eliminated. Once the vehicle is moving there is no lag in traffic, tons of torque a touch of the gas pedal away at all times.

2) I had 1 CEL, it was fixed about 6-7 months ago and has never come back.

3) There is no factory iPod input for 08 model. I don't have one of these gadets and probably won't anytime soon so I don't really care, but it is funny that a $20k Mazda 3 has a feature that a $40K CX-7 doesn't.

The test drive won't disappoint, it definately has that Mazda feel to it, I love mine.

all i can say is, drive the crap out of the competition and make the decision that best fits you, your life style, and wallet.

The most attractive thing about the 7 is its price w/value and fun to drive factor. The powertrain, size, and price make it more attractive than most CUV's you will be taking a look at.

All i can say is, if you are going to spend top dollar as in a fully loaded GT AWD w/nav and so on, i would bump up to an Acura or comparable AWD vehicle.

happy shoppping

Please don't turn this into an RDX vs. CX-7 thread. They are both nice vehicles that are similar in almost every way. You can argue the semantics, but there is not a whole lot of difference (hp, size, weight, handling, etc.) between the two. Acura = "more refined", Mazda = "more value", both of which are subjective...

Just a note to the OP regarding the turbo lag; I noticed it a lot when I first started driving it, but by this point (6,000 miles), I barely notice it. The turbo does kick in hard though! Test drive it and see, but that should not be a make or break IMO.

mikey has a point... drive the crap out of every vehicle you're considering.

And the RDX must be considered as it is so similar to the CX-7.

on your test drive, move everything! play with everything! touch every facet of this car that u can. Drive it like it was yours, put things in the holders, put ur cell phone somewhere, try and get a taste of the car like you it were yours. See if the car meshes with you & pay attention to how it shifts and reacts in terms of the driver that you are.

alot of people tend to take test drives like the car cant be touched! afraid to move the seats, play with knobs open every lid or whatever. just break the car in, only then will you know!!

(beer) i just like this face lol

I have a late model 2007 build date CX7 and have NO issues with throttle lag or CEL or anything. My car runs excellent fron day one and still is. Ed

I've had my CX7 for a month now with zero problems. Granted, that's not a long time, but so far I've enjoyed every minute in this vehicle. No check engine lights and I've gotten used to the small amount of turbo lag (although I'm still curious if my 7 needs the ECU reflash) that is present. I have the "sport" AWD model and it was built in January of 07.

There is a TSB addressing turbo lag in some early build vehicles. The TSB lists the Vin number for those vehicles that may require a reflash. Ed

I've had my CX7 for a month now with zero problems. Granted, that's not a long time, but so far I've enjoyed every minute in this vehicle. No check engine lights and I've gotten used to the small amount of turbo lag (although I'm still curious if my 7 needs the ECU reflash) that is present. I have the "sport" AWD model and it was built in January of 07.

I hate how they started painting the Sport trim's mirrors late in the model year. (gun)

Oh...believe me I will test the crap out of the competition and the CX-7. Couple of things that influence the choice. First I lease for business reasons and Acura, same with Subaru (I was looking at a Legacy GT wagon), have not attractive lease rates and tend to put the residual value at the end of the term so low that you end up with monthly payments not even close to the CX-7. They want you to buy or put cash down (a big no no financially wise when you are an expert on leasing (evil) ).

Second, there's not a lot of vehicles that meet my needs and budget that I find interesting. Forget sedans. (sad2) Wagons here are from European brands so mucho $$$ and Subaru of Canada believes it's in that club and are overpriced in higher level trims. (rlaugh)

In the CUV or mini-mid SUV market:
Jeep? no thanks...been there and never returning.
GM? Acadia, Outlook and Enclave trio is nice but too big for my needs and my budget.
Ford Edge? No...I just don't like it.
CRV? Not enough power
RAV 4? Nice V6 but exterior and interior are very average...read boring (blarf) Santa Fe? Actually better looking than a RAV 4 and a decent package priced right. Handling worries me but I will drive it.
Murano ? Still decent looking, nice V6, ok interior but again overpriced here. If you want leather you need to get the SE at $48K (wow)

So here you have it...Santa Fe and CX-7. No sedans possible and the rest are either too small, too big or too expensive.

I would like a Subaru Legacy GT wagon but not at $750 per month(screwy)

Thanks for you input so far and the CX-7 looks better and better....(drive2)

My CX-7 had the lag TSB addresses before I took delivery without me even asking. There is a bit of a delay right from a deadstop, but you can get past that with a little brake torque.

Other than that, I've had mine since March, hasn't been back to the dealer for anything. Haven't even needed an oil change yet (5200 miles on the clock).

If you're leasing for business reasons the CX-7 will be hard to beat... same reason I went with it.

Back