Need Help !!!

hyck

:
Mazda 3i
Something weird happened, I don't think there is a connection, but anyway. So I changed my seats (front and back), from cloth to leather, with some seats from a totaled 04 3. So after I changed them few things happened. First my Airbag light came on, so I am wondering if there are airbag sensors on the seats? So I reset the ecu (disconnected the battery) to see if the light will turn of and it didn't, so I just left it. Then when I started driving it, the engine sounded differently, at least I thought so, and the biggest problem, when the car is moving and I take it out of gear (put it on neutral), the engine starts to rev up and down like 5-6 times, from 500 rpm to like 1000-1250. Then when the car is not moving, the rpms go down to 500 and stay like that (usually they stay at 700-750,) and few times it was about to turn off. There is also some heavy knocking coming from the engine. Could it be because of misfire, because I still haven't changed my plugs? My car is and '04 3i with 64k miles. If anyone has some thoughts of what is wrong please reply. Thank you guys for your help.

Last edited:
hyck said:
Something weird happened, I don't think there is a connection, but anyway. So I changed my seats (front and back), from cloth to leather, with some seats from a totaled 04 3. So after I changed them few things happened. First my Airbag light came on, so I am wondering if there are airbag sensors on the seats? So I reset the ecu (disconnected the battery) to see if the light will turn of and it didn't, so I just left it. Then when I started driving it, the engine sounded differently, at least I thought so, and the biggest problem, when the car is moving and I take it out of gear (put it on neutral), the engine starts to rev up and down like 5-6 times, from 500 rpm to like 1000-1250. Then when the car is not moving, the rpms go down to 500 and stay like that (usually they stay at 700-750,) and few times it was about to turn off. If it would help my car is and '04 3i with 64k miles. If anyone has some thoughts of what is wrong please reply. Thank you guys for your help.

It is the ghost of the totaled 3 coming back to haunt your car. :mad:

There is an airbag sensor in the seat. It is so if there is weight in the seat and it is less than a certain amount the airbag will not deploy. This is there to protect children from getting injured by the airbag. It turns the airbag off even if I pick up a case of beer and put it on the seat for the drive home. What year is your car?

This thing doesn't have seat bags I take it?
Airbags have a serial associated with them that the ACU matches with the serial its programmed with. If it does have seat bags, you'll have to have it reprogrammed by the manufacturer in order for your pyrotechnics to work properly.

yes, there are seat airbags on the new seats, so you are saying it has to be reprogrammed, how do I do, go to the dealer? How much will they charge for reprogramming, any idea?

Last edited:
hyck said:
yes, there are seat airbags on the new seats, so you are saying it has to be reprogrammed, how do I do, go to the dealer? How much will they charge for reprogramming, any idea?

If you got them from a totalled car are you sure the airbags were replaced in the seats after you bought them? Im still not sure what correlation there can be from airbag sensor and the engine behaving the way it is unless the ECU is just getting totally confused and acting up due to mismatch from what it thinks you have and what you actually have - dealer should be able to reflash your ECU

the engine idling like it is sounds like its just from the power cycle you gave it its re-learning everything with your mods it will probably take a couple hundred miles happens to me all the time i wouldn't worry about it. as far as the seats/airbag go i would double check your plug connectors under the seats to make sure they are tight and you didn't cut a wire on the seat exchange. good luck

Back