Need help with relay part numbers and Lg fuse specs (2023 CX-5)

I have just purchased a 2023 CX-5. I am currently in the process of cobbling together a tool kit and spare parts kit.

I have the fuses sorted out and am now working on the relays. Under the hood, there is a collection of relays. It looks like it mostly comes down to 2 types of relays. 3- green relays and 10- black relays.

IMG_2367.JPG

I figure get one of each style, and I'm pretty well covered.

I have been doing web searches, forum searches, and owners manual searches, and cannot get a proper part number for either relay.

The black relays have a bunch of numbers on the top. The only hit I found was a partial match of 7181-8498 at walmart. Not sure if that is a correct part.

I would appreciate any assistance with info regarding a Mazda part number, and a generic part number, for the green and black relays.

I thought I had the fuses sorted out, but now are not sure of the designation for the larger 30A-50A large square fuses. The smaller fuses are Mini-Low Profile, but I don't know if the large, square fuses also have a specific type or designation.

Cheers, TR

I found a Bussmann 40A ATM-LP maxifuse at Amazon. Looks like the right size, but Amazon says "does not fit 2023 Mazda CX-5". I'm confused .

I think this is going a bit 'above and beyond'. Relays hardly ever fail. Although I have seen a very occasional relay failure reported, I have never had a relay fail in any car in well over 40 years of car ownership.

I think this is going a bit 'above and beyond'. Relays hardly ever fail. Although I have seen a very occasional relay failure reported, I have never had a relay fail in any car in well over 40 years of car ownership.
RB, I'm a belt & suspenders kind of guy. I like to have a small collection of easy to repair items, to prevent being stuck on the side of the road. I've been driving since the mid 70s. Relays went bad. Relays have moving electrical contacts that can get crudded up from arcing. Back in the day, I had a little tool to just to clean relay contacts. I think the newer cars have better spec'd relays, that are not user repairable. I think it's just old habits from old problems.

The new cars are getting so complex, there is little left for a road side repair guy to do. I'm pretty much down to a serpentine belt, fuses, and relays. And I haven't yet verified the serpentine is user replaceable.

I guess it comes down to, the relays run critical systems, they are easily replaced, and small enough to toss in the little box with my spare fuses.

Thanks for your input, TR

Hawke,

Thank you for the numbers.

UM46-67-730: This matches numbers on the 10 black relays.
G110-67-730: ???
PE02-18-811: This appears to be a replacement for the 3 green relays.

I can find G110-67-730 online, but don't know the placement of this this relay.
Can you please clarify?

Thank you for your expertise, TR

Back to the fuses. I have done more digging and think I have the larger cartridge style fuses sorted out.

Would it be a J-case fuse (FMX- Low Profile)?

I would appreciate if this can be confirmed or denied.

Thanks, TR

Back to the fuses. I have done more digging and think I have the larger cartridge style fuses sorted out.

Would it be a J-case fuse (FMX- Low Profile)?

I would appreciate if this can be confirmed or denied.

Thanks, TR
I can't confirm or deny, but here are the part#'s for the cartridge style fuses:

KD5P-67-S99 (20A)
KD5R-67-S99 (30A)
KN2J-67-S99 (40A)
KD5S-67-S99 (50A)

Hawke,

I went to mazdaswag.com, entered my VIN, then searched by part number. The 20A is unavailable. The 30A and 40A said "This part does not fit your 2023 Mazda CX-5".

I went to 2 more online mazda parts stores. Both say the 30A and 40A parts numbers do not fit.

Last edited:
Hawke,

I went to mazdaswag.com, entered my VIN, then searched by part number. The 20A is unavailable. The 30A and 40A said "This part does not fit your 2023 Mazda CX-5".

I went to 2 more online mazda parts stores. Both say the 30A and 40A parts numbers do not fit.

My guess it hasn't been updated, checking https://parts.mazdausa.com/ it shows other part# for some fuses that afaik have been superseded, if you type in those part#, at for example mazdaswag, you will see it has been replaced by the part# I posted.

Hawke,

You are probably right about the lack of update. MazdaSwag site rejected my VIN as incorrect, due to lack of update. The other sites, I just used the year/make/model and got rejected. It's not a proprietery fuse. I ought to be able to walk into Gooober's Auto Parts and pick one up. I haven't owned a new car since 1984. I didn't know "new car" parts buying would be so challenging.

Thanks for the tip on the "heater" relay. I think I'll just grab a black relay, and a green relay and be 90% covered.

Toss in a pile of mini-lp fuses, and handful of maxi-lp fuses and my kit is nearly complete.

Thank you for taking the time to sort this out, TR

I decided to go "hands-on" with the fuses.

Confirmed-

Blade fuses: ATM Mini-LP (Low Profile). ATM Mini will fit and function, but are taller.

Cartridge fuses: FMX-LP (Low Profile). FMX fuses will fit and function, but are taller.

Blade fuse taps: I have read numerous posts saying ATM Mini-LP taps do not work in Mazdas. I did not bother ordering and trying. Posts say use ATM Mini tap. Fits fine, but is taller.

I confirmed this during the installation of a dash cam. Be sure to install the tap in the correct orientation, or you will inadvertently bypass the fuse by feeding the tap directly from the power buss.

I’m more concerned with the fuses at the foot well that I use to add on for miscellaneous lights, Soundsystem, remote start, etc.

The cabin mounted fuse box uses the same blade, cartridge fuses, and taps as the engine mounted buss. There are no relays in this location.

One small selection of fuses, a fuse tester, and a fuse puller has you covered.

I’ve had more fuses blown in my 30 years of driving and all but one were at the foot location fuses. The one time it was in the engine bay (relay) was because the fuel pump wasn’t running (Nissan versa hit pot hole). Long story short, it was still a fuse in the foot well area that didn’t look like it popped but once I had a voltmeter on and realized it was bad.

I’ve had more fuses blown in my 30 years of driving and all but one were at the foot location fuses. The one time it was in the engine bay (relay) was because the fuel pump wasn’t running (Nissan versa hit pot hole). Long story short, it was still a fuse in the foot well area that didn’t look like it popped but once I had a voltmeter on and realized it was bad.
One more thing to check if your fuel pump shuts down after hitting a pot hole.
Modern vehicles have an inertia sensor that will shut off the fuel pump if it determines you may have been in a collision.

I had a friend that called for help after hitting a pot hole and the engine wouldn't start. I spent hours troubleshooting before stumbling onto the reset button. Push the button, the car fires right up.

I make sure I know where the reset button is on all my cars to sort this out quickly.

And, that reminded me to look this up for our 2023 cx-5. The interwebs show nothing. An owners manual search shows nothing.

I think I will start a new thread.

Back