Need help to locate knocking noise

falsedawn

:
Red 2002 P5
No, it's nothing to do with my engine, I'm sure of that.

It started a while ago, not long after I changed brake pads on all 4 corners, which makes me think I might have disturbed something whilst doing the job.
I'm fairly sure I did a proper job as the brakes actually work great - no grabbing or pulling, very solid feeling.

Now the noise happens at various times - sometimes when accelerating gently, often when braking and going round a slow corner at the same time, but never when braking in a straight line (no matter how hard).

I _think_ it is coming from the rear somewhere, and it's almost like the noise a knackererd cv joint makes (a fairly noticeable "click"), which can sometimes be felt through the actual floor of the car.

As the noise started after doing the brakes, I reckon it's something to do with someting I might have done (or not done!)

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can check or what might be causing this? I torqued every bolt up properly, so it's not loose lug nuts or anything stupid like that.

Thanks.

Check ur caliper bolts (the big ones on the back that hold the caliper in place). A friend of mine's car had that happen. She has a lowered car, and lives down a dirt road, and the bolts on the front driver's side caliper actually backed out some, and the caliper was clunking around. So check that...

Do you have any modifications on your car at all? Does it happen on bumps? Maybe try reproducing the sound by pulling up and pushing down on the rear of your car while parked.

What do you mean by "check the caliper bolts"? that they are on tight? I torqued them up and used threadlock, so I don't think they are loose, but I will check again when I get chance.

No modifications at all, totally stock, and it sometimes makes a click over bumps, but then again it also clicks when not going over bumps sometimes.

Could it be the pads moving around in the caliper?

Yeah, that's what I mean. I think u should just give the breaks a good once over visually, and go around and make sure all ur bolts are on correctly

Back