Need Help! Thinking of boostin my P5

scooter

:
2002 MP5
what's up

I have a 2002 mp5, which is my daily driver and i am thinking about buying a turbo kit for it. I have read some on here about what kits are available, but i am not too familiar with turbos in general. I am looking at the hiboost kit as well as the wagner kit. For those boosting already please leave me some pros and cons of your kit.

thanks

jeremy

Do it boost is great!!!!!!!!!! People won't suspect your p5 to be fast at all then you can blow their doors off!!!! Hi boost is tha s***!!!

i've had a turbo kit on my car for over 30,000 miles now...what do you want/need to know? the increase in power is fantastic, regardless of which kit you go with. its such an improvement over stock that its not even funny.

downsides? you have to, simply MUST, use premium (higher octane) gasoline. 91+ and nothing less. if you don't follow the directions and decide to crank up the power outside of what the kit designers had in mind you run the risk of blowing up the engine. just don't get "boost greedy" and you will be ok :D

fyi - we offer turbo kits and accessories at our store

captain

What kit do you have? I am leaning towards the wagner kit because i am in pennsylvania and they are relatively close to me. I use this car as a everyday driver so i am not going to get boost greedy at all. I just want to increase the power alittle but nothing crazy. Have you heard any info on the wagner kit at all? I am not big on the pre-programmed ecu because you really dont know who programmed it, could be someone that has no clue what they are doing ya know. I just need this car to still be reliable after boosting. Also it is a five speed tranny , i read alittle on here with the auto's having some clutch trouble after boosting. what have you heard?

jeremy

Boost is good. I've been boosted for 18,000 miles now with only a few minor issues. Whatever kit you get, just make sure you get real fuel management(no FMU). The biggest thing required for boosted cars is FUEL. I've killed two factory fuel pumps with a FMU. Presently I have the walbro 255lph pump on the way. Best advice I can give you is don't cheap out on the fuel management, I did, now I'm having to do a few things over again. BTW, I have the spool kit(no longer in business), and I boost 6psi daily. Have fun and happy boosting.
mike

Boost is addictive so it is hard to not get greedy. Mine is my daily driver and the difference from stock is awesome. If I could safely turn up the boost without spending another fortune in fuel management I would!

scooter said:
captain

What kit do you have? I am leaning towards the wagner kit because i am in pennsylvania and they are relatively close to me. I use this car as a everyday driver so i am not going to get boost greedy at all. I just want to increase the power alittle but nothing crazy. Have you heard any info on the wagner kit at all? I am not big on the pre-programmed ecu because you really dont know who programmed it, could be someone that has no clue what they are doing ya know. I just need this car to still be reliable after boosting. Also it is a five speed tranny , i read alittle on here with the auto's having some clutch trouble after boosting. what have you heard?

jeremy
I have the Bell Engineering kit. Other than some custom kits, this was the first commercial protege turbo kit and I was one of the first ten to do prototyping for it. There is a big thread on the quality of Wagner's turbo kit by Equinox, you should read up on that before you decide to go with his kit. I personally suggest HiBoost or Bell Engineering (the two kits we chose to carry) because in my opinion they are the most proven, reliable and user friendly turbo systems for this car. Depending on your driving habits, you will want to upgrade the stock clutch. Mine lasted a little over a year before I bit the bullet and went with a new one. The auto tranny on the protege can handle about 6 to 7 psi of boost and nothing more. The tranny's converter and gearing is simply not robust enough to handle that much torque. A transmission cooler *might* help but to date I know of no one who has installed an aftermarket cooler on this car. In regards to preprogrammed ECUs, you have nothing to fear from HiBoost. his unit is as plug and play as they come.
mikem said:
Boost is good. I've been boosted for 18,000 miles now with only a few minor issues. Whatever kit you get, just make sure you get real fuel management(no FMU). The biggest thing required for boosted cars is FUEL. I've killed two factory fuel pumps with a FMU. Presently I have the walbro 255lph pump on the way. Best advice I can give you is don't cheap out on the fuel management, I did, now I'm having to do a few things over again. BTW, I have the spool kit(no longer in business), and I boost 6psi daily. Have fun and happy boosting.

mike
umm, FMUs are real fuel management. top fuel drag cars, professional racers, aftermarket turbo companies and many street and strip applications use FMUs daily. there is nothing inherently wrong with an FMU if it used properly, tuned properly, etc. the problem with the protege fuel pump is not the FMU, it is the pump itself. its a miata part designed to flow for the 1.8 and 1.6 that mazda chose to share across the line. its just not capable of adding the fuel that a turbo kit requires. i've replaced mine and had an inline Pierberg for some time. Havin fuel management simply means you are adding fuel by increasing the number of injector pulses whereas an FMU increases fuel pressure. Both methods draw more fiuel, and over time even an engine management system going off of injector pulses will wear down that stock pump.

Thanks for all the information. So what your saying captain is that you would recommend a fmu over a pre-programmed ecu? I called wagner today and they off two different kits. The low end allows 6-8psi and comes with a fmu $3450. Then the second kit allows more boost and comes with a stand alone $4600. Its alittle expensive but I am gonna do some more reasearch before i make any moves. Where can I take a look at the bell engineering kit?

scooter said:
Thanks for all the information. So what your saying captain is that you would recommend a fmu over a pre-programmed ecu? I called wagner today and they off two different kits. The low end allows 6-8psi and comes with a fmu $3450. Then the second kit allows more boost and comes with a stand alone $4600. Its alittle expensive but I am gonna do some more reasearch before i make any moves. Where can I take a look at the bell engineering kit?
If you have money go with an ECU solution. i am just saying that for the money, there is nothing wrong with an FMU. $4600 for a turbo kit with a standalone? i can get you the hiboost kit get with a preprogrammed ECU for almost $1000 less!!! 210+ plus horsepower to the front wheels, my friend :)

you can take a look at all our turbo goodies here :: http://www.mazda3online.com/index.php?cPath=27_99

Last edited:
YP5 Toronto said:
$3995 from Hiboost.... this includes so much...INCLUDING the HALTECH F10... for ECU based Fuel Control.
we sell the hiboost kit for $300 less than Juan

Another option that will be ready very soon is the Street Sleeper by Mental Addiction Motorsports. Later this summer they will also have the Thumper kit which is designed to take advantage of forged internals. Both kits come with computer management.

Again thanx for the info, toronto. I am not familiar with the haltech f10 What is the deal with it? Also I read somewhere there hiboost changed the intake on their kit to run in front instead of up and over. Is this true? Also what upgrades are available with hiboost for example turbo, bov ect.

Basically...the F10 takes control of the injectors. It uses an Air Temp, Rad Fluid Temp and Manifold Pressure Sensor to monitor the various conditions and adjusts the fuel accordingly. It will come pre-tunned from Hiboost and you are good to go..

So...when you are boosting at 8psi...it knows what to supply against various weather and driving conditions.

It may be a bit overwhelming if you are new to this stuff...but visit www.haltech.com and read up on everything you can. You should even read the manual on the F10...it may seem confusing at first, but you get a great idea of how it works.
It does not increase fuel pressure...or demand anything more from the Fuel Pump than if it the stock ECU was controlling the fuel. Granted it is working them a bit harder at full boost...but that is given.

The STOCK ECU still controls everything else...the F10 only controls FUEL. a better solution than an FMU IN MY OPINION.....

As you grow with your system...you can get larger injectors and then Hiboost can send you a new image for the F10 to control those. I am getting mine soon...and will be simply updating the F10 with the new MAPS for the new 440cc injectors.

scooter said:
Again thanx for the info, toronto. I am not familiar with the haltech f10 What is the deal with it? Also I read somewhere there hiboost changed the intake on their kit to run in front instead of up and over. Is this true? Also what upgrades are available with hiboost for example turbo, bov ect.
If you have any questions, please call me at 310 902 2617. I will answer all your questions.

The kit will produce up to 300whp the way it comes from the box. You don't really need any upgrade turbo to get to those levels. You will need forged rods and race fuel to get there but the hardware is capable.

The kit will allow you to run up to 12 psi on 93 octane. If you want to run more boost on the street, we recommend getting the E6X Haltech upgrade to run up to 15 psi on 91 octane.

Other upgrade options are:

SSQV HKS BOV or Greddy Type S BOV, Electronic boost controller, Pauter Rods and JE pistons, ACT Clutch.

Juan

Modern Performance Inc or Mental Addiction Motorsports are some options. Not sure if MPI is still making kits or just selling their piggybacks. If you go with MAM, then it will come with the MPI piggyback that will control fuel and timing. If you get anther kit without engine managment, you should look into the MPI, the thing will keep you safe by letting YOU control your fuel and timing. You need to have timing retard to keep the motor safe. MPI has a MSP putting down 328WHP at 15psi, that's almost 400hp at the crank. The unit is the s***. If you do not go with it, then look into something that will control timing as well as fuel, if you can retard timing then you can help with preventing detonation which kills motors.

Latest posts

Back