Need help removing Roulette wheel from engine bay

RedSled

Contributor
:
'02 Protege2 - 85K+ miles & going strong
Hi folks, been quite some time since I was last here, been a little busy with life... anyway I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right 'technical' direction regarding my 'roulette table' which used to be a car.
<O:p</O:p

I call it my roulette table because whenever I am coasting I get a clacking sound like that which the roulette ball makes as it spins. I only hear this sound when coasting, as soon as I press the gas pedal just enough to match/increase the speed the clacking sound stops.

I suspect it's in the drive train somewhere but dont want to just replace the transmission if it's something simpler and easier, and most importantly cheaper!

History: This all appears to have started after I had the front-drivers side brake caliper seize in the on position resulting in a smoky toasted caliper and rotor. Ive checked the hub and it appears fine, no heat damage as a result of the seizing but I suspect strain was put on the drive train, so any ideas where to start?

Regards,
Charlie

A friend told me that shifting weight on and off of that side of the car, like when turning will make the sound more and less noticable if it is the CV. Does that sound right?

Either way, the sound is unchanged by shifting the weight on to and off of that wheel, it only changes (gets slower) as the speed gets slower.

does the noise come and go when you push the clutch pedal inand out.I know when throw out bearings go bad they make a similar noise like described.

My bad for not mentioning... this is an automatic... I know, I know... you can beat me up later!

My bad for not mentioning... this is an automatic... I know, I know... you can beat me up later!

with that being said what about checki12wng the pass. side axle carrier bearing that bolts to the block.if thats bad it could cause a metalic noise.

Back