Need help quick! Howthe fock do I push in the brake on the rear?

Khoifather

:
Mazda Protege5
I just changed my rear brake pads and now I'm having problem pushing in the brake. It won't budge in at all and if I try to close it over the brake pads, it will hit the brake pads so it won't go in. How the hell do I push this damn thing in? This car is pissing me off and why the hell does everything we do on it gotta be so hard?

Khoifather said:
I just changed my rear brake pads and now I'm having problem pushing in the brake. It won't budge in at all and if I try to close it over the brake pads, it will hit the brake pads so it won't go in. How the hell do I push this damn thing in? This car is pissing me off and why the hell does everything we do on it gotta be so hard?

stick something in the piston and turn it..

or ther eis a hex thing behind the pistion you gotta turn..

I got stuck there too.. ended up taking it down to Mazda...
(protest)

changing rear brake pads

ARe you rying to change the rear pads? If so, I can help. As I struggled when I did mine. And I know all the tricks

Um yeah pretty much I'm trying to change the rear brake pads. I got the new freaking BRAKE PADS in but now, I cannot close the CALIBER over the freaking brake pads because the PISTON is in the way and it won't go back in when I use the clamp to push it back in.

I'm currently doing mine and am having problems removing my rear brake rotor. It won't budge even after hitting it with a hammer.

there is a bolt on the back of the caliper. remove it and you will see a hex screw behind it. turning this screw pulls the caliper open. once you get the piston fully retracted, but the pads in, put the caliper back in place, then turn the hex back to replace the piston in the right spot. If memory serves, turn the screw till the piston stops and the pads are squeezed to the caliper. then turn back like 1/3 turn. after that just replace the covering bolt and you are good to go.

Do you have a hammer? Stick the handle of the hammer inside the piston at an angle (think of a spoon resting inside a bowl). Press down on the hammer to lever it against the inside of the piston and turn clockwise to "screw" it in. Takes a couple minutes. The hammer works well because the rubberized handle will "grip" onto the inside of the piston. Real easy.

eepr5 said:
there is a bolt on the back of the caliper. remove it and you will see a hex screw behind it. turning this screw pulls the caliper open. once you get the piston fully retracted, but the pads in, put the caliper back in place, then turn the hex back to replace the piston in the right spot. If memory serves, turn the screw till the piston stops and the pads are squeezed to the caliper. then turn back like 1/3 turn. after that just replace the covering bolt and you are good to go.

this problem has been adressed on this board several times, and the answer has always been the bolt in the back. banging, hitting, twisting, etc only works on the FRONT calipers.

Banging also works on chicks. If you bang them right, they will open up easier next time. Then you can twist'em any way you like. :D

eepr5 said:

This is the correct way. :)

Back