Need help fast!

BlackJack

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT (gone :()
Need help with gauge install

Okay, so I'm 3/4ths through installing the Prosport gauges (done oil pressure, A/F ratio, and Boost setups and wirings). All that's left is the illumination, ignition, and ground wires. ground is simple: connect to bare metal. As for illumination, i want white lights in daytime and amber at night. Thus, I read that orange wires (for amber lights) can be tapped into the orange with black stripe wire going to the radio which is the signal for parking lights. For the white lights, i'm not sure where to tap to as I'm afraid it would cause complications with the amber lights. As for the ignition wire, I'm thinking of tapping into the cigar wire (red, IIRC) since i got the radar detector setup done there anyway.

Problems: where to connect white wiring to?!

Last edited:
I used Add-a-Fuse minis to tap mine into the fuse box which drops down under the right portion of the dash. I cut no wires. I do not recall the specific fuses I taped but I believe I put the amber light into one for a left or right parking light and the white into cigar or something like that.

I'd really recommend doing this instead of cutting wires.

I can use that sure, but the cigar wire is already cut, so I thought why not?

So, i can put the white into cigar and still put the ignition wire in there too?

for the amber wire, I will be tapping into the orange w/black stripe like the MS3 Boost Gauge install thread stated.

If you want more advice in the future, it would behoove you to pick a better thread title...e.g. "Need help with gauge install".

Oh well.

Also, I'm thinking of tapping into the fuses behind the glove box.
F43: White and ignition
F75: Constant power
F82: Amber wiring

Let me know if this is right

Sorry my car is not in a place where I can look. It sounds OK and it's easy to try. That's the nice thing about add-a-fuse. You can just keep trying until it's right.

Well, I just put them all with their respective locating wires and now it doesn't power up at all!

I'm gonna try changing the ground to somewhere more bare metal. If not, then I will do the add-a-fuse from Ace Hardware.

Well, I just put them all with their respective locating wires and now it doesn't power up at all!

I'm gonna try changing the ground to somewhere more bare metal. If not, then I will do the add-a-fuse from Ace Hardware.

There is a good ground location under the kick panel on the driver's left side. You will see other stuff grounded there. Also, if you get add-a-fuse, make sure they are "Mini".

Yeah, I went to Autozone and got those, but I didn't think twice to get the Mini's when I got the regular. Stupid me!

Autozone and Pep Boys are sold out of them in my town, but in the morning, am gonna keep looking around.

Just to clarify, I can use F82 for night-time Illumination and F43 for daytime illumination and ignition right?

Yeah, I went to Autozone and got those, but I didn't think twice to get the Mini's when I got the regular. Stupid me!

Autozone and Pep Boys are sold out of them in my town, but in the morning, am gonna keep looking around.

Just to clarify, I can use F82 for night-time Illumination and F43 for daytime illumination and ignition right?

I believe so but I'm not looking at the manual at this moment. I did run the daytime and ignition off the same line as you indicate above. I ran amber/nighttime off one of the parking lights but not sure if it's F82.

One thing to note is that I've had an issue with the automatic headlights. When they automatically come on or go off after the car is running the switch from white to amber and back works great. However, if it's dark outside and I start the car, the lights are white. It works fine 100% of the time when I operate the lights manually. Even when it acts odd, it's not distracting.

I just looked at the diagram for the interior fuse box (GT version) in the owners manual. It has the fuse locations and meanings.

I'm looking at the diagram from here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123687033

And it shows that F82 is the dash Illumination. No other fuses relate or say parking lights. Maybe if i connect it to F60-61, which is headlight lows.

It also indicates that F82 is TNS Relay. Any idea what that means?
TNS is the power when the head lights are on. It includes tails, parking, dash, etc. That's what you need.

Great that's what I wanted to hear.

Now just to get mini add-a-circuits which seem to be DAMN popular around because no one with 5 miles have them. awesome!

If I can't find anything, anybody have any other way to tap into the fuses?

Okay, now I'm getting really frustrated.

I finally got mini add-a-circuits and hooked up all the ignition wires and white light wires together to the add-a-circuit and hooked it into F43.

Started the car for testing. NOTHING happened with the gauges. I'm getting pissed. Changed the ground to more bare metal and still nothing.

What I did with the wiring is i put all 3 red wires into 1 with butt connector and same thing for white and put the two wires together with butt connector then put that wire into the add-a-circuit. But, nothing happened so I'm pissed and really wanted to get this to work.

Any idea what's going on?

Okay, now I'm getting really frustrated.

I finally got mini add-a-circuits and hooked up all the ignition wires and white light wires together to the add-a-circuit and hooked it into F43.

Started the car for testing. NOTHING happened with the gauges. I'm getting pissed. Changed the ground to more bare metal and still nothing.

What I did with the wiring is i put all 3 red wires into 1 with butt connector and same thing for white and put the two wires together with butt connector then put that wire into the add-a-circuit. But, nothing happened so I'm pissed and really wanted to get this to work.

Any idea what's going on?

I assume the gauge is doing nothing (no startup dance). If so, I would check and recheck the wiring. Start at the back of the gauge and make sure it's really hooked into the slot correctly. Then trace the wires and make sure any splices you did are good. Because the wiring that comes with the gauge is really small, I did enounter a problem where a splice I made to a slightly larger wire was not a good connection. The wires in question here would be ignition, ground and (maybe) white. Again, I'd bet there is just something funky in a splice someplace. Dont give up hope...

Yeah, the gauges are not doing anything at all. Not even starting up.

Trust me, I've checked and triple checked the wiring. I'll take a pic soon, but I connected all the red and white wires together into one wire and hooked it with the add-a-circuit. One thing I changed here is to hook it to a different fuse because the add-a-circuit only goes to a max of 10amps. I hooked it to F66 for Instrument illumination and ignition.

However, since the stock wires are 24gauge, I couldn't find any spare 24gauge wiring so I just got 22gauge. Think this is the problem?

Yeah, the gauges are not doing anything at all. Not even starting up.

Trust me, I've checked and triple checked the wiring. I'll take a pic soon, but I connected all the red and white wires together into one wire and hooked it with the add-a-circuit. One thing I changed here is to hook it to a different fuse because the add-a-circuit only goes to a max of 10amps. I hooked it to F66 for Instrument illumination and ignition.

However, since the stock wires are 24gauge, I couldn't find any spare 24gauge wiring so I just got 22gauge. Think this is the problem?

Not likely a wire gauge problem. I did the same. There is always the possibility that the actual gauge unit is bad. But I would confirm by pulling it completely out and running it directly to known power and ground before contacting the vendor. Sorry for the problems.

Yeah, I'm gonna clear the splices and do a more professional splice and if that doesn't work, then I guess I'm gonna call up Ken and have em replaced.

But the weird thing is that all of the gauges can't be bad.

Yeah, I'm gonna clear the splices and do a more professional splice and if that doesn't work, then I guess I'm gonna call up Ken and have em replaced.

But the weird thing is that all of the gauges can't be bad.

Agree. That's why it seems like there is maybe a bad connection someplace. Question: Are you hooking to a known "ground" where other things are grounded? I hooked mine to the ground bolt under the kick panel next to the driver's left leg.

Back