NEED HELP: Dealer said I need new wiring harness's and PCM $3500

JD57

:
2006 mx5
Originally had a code on my 2006 mx5 that said weak cylinder number 4 and the car was running bad. I changed spark plugs and the code went away AND CAR RUNS FINE. Then cel came back on and had multiple codes: P0403 EGR, P0443 EVAP Canister, P0661 Intake tuning valve, and P2088 Oil control circuit low. The dealership said I need new emission and engine harness as well as PCM. $3500 total!!! Do I really need a NEW harness and PCM. And they said the PCM is VIN specific so I can't get one from a junkyard.........:(

A new engine harness is about $500 and you could probably change that yourself. From what I have read there were issues with early NC engine harnesses. As far as the PCM/ECU being VIN specific, I don't believe that is true. You can get your ECU bench tuned and they will send you a loaner ECU so you can drive your car while your ECU is getting tuned. If the ECU was VIN specific how could they loan you an ECU? I would get a second opinion from a different dealer.

Perhaps you do not realize that you are in the Mazdaspeed subforum. Our cars are much different. There might not be anyone here familiar with wiring harness and ECU issues on your non-turbo engine. We have a 2.3L direct injection turbocharged engine with a completely different harness and ECU.

I'd help, if I could, but you might have better luck in the sub forum for your MX5.

Latest posts

Back