Need Help: Considering 2016 CX-5 Purchase, Have Questions!!

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
I'm considering the purchase of a 2016 CX-5 Touring (used), but I have a few questions I was hoping to get some answers for here on the forum.

1) Does anyone know if the 2017 CX-5 will have a manual transmission with the 2.5L engine? I REALLY want a manual and I would wait for the 2017 if it comes with one in the 2.5L. I know you can get it in the Sport trim, but for other reasons (which I won't get in to) that doesn't work for me. Getting a AT will be really hard for me, but my options in a manual for this category of car is very limited (see below).

2) Do people feel the Bose / Moonroof and Technology packages are worth it? I like the idea of the better headlights if they truly are better as I do drive at night quite a bit. On the flip side though, I want to be able to transport a very large dog, and the moonroof really cuts into the headroom, so I'm not sure it's worth it or not....thoughts?

3) While on a test drive I found the blind-spot monitoring light in the driver's mirror very distracting. Is there a way to permanently turn off this system? I understand you can hit the button, but that you would have to do that every time you drive because it resets every time the car is turned off. I also have heard you can turn the beeper off, is that true? I don't trust driving aids / new newfangled technology (see still wanting a manual above) that much, I don't want to get lazy with checking my blind-spots, or become dependent on something electronic that could fail.

4) I'm not so sure about the 2016 radio set-up. If I don't like it and want to get an aftermarket stereo, would it work with the commander's knob system, or would that all just become redundant? I'd really like to get Android Auto in my next car, so going for a used 2016 would be a compromise on that part.

I think that's it for now, I may think of more questions later. I've been shopping for a car for a long time and I've test driven just about everything out there with 5 doors in a hatchback or SUV...and I really do mean just about everything!! I've narrowed it down to the CX-5 or a 2017 manual transmission Forester Premium trim. The Forester I can get with the manual, but I've heard of alot of oil consumption issues with that car that have me nervous and I find the seats in the Forester have too much lumbar for me. Also, I don't "need" AWD. The CX-5 seats are better, but not great, so I'm hoping I would just get used to them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Transport a very large dog ... (thought)

I have a large Golden Retriever. The car is not really big enough for him (boot only) and quiet frankly, a large dog does nothing but ruin a quality car.

I have the 14 CX5 with moon roof. The moon roof is a nice to have, but can easily live without it. The HID lights on mine a truly fantastic. As an engineer who designs industrial LED products, LEDs would certainly not sway me in deciding on best headlights. They have issues too.

The Bose sound is not bad, but its very opinion based. If you used to a iinferior sound quality, then Bose is great. If your used to top end audio, then you might complain.

Blind spot monitoring for me is the BEST feature I have ever had in a car. It has already saved me from an accident. Cant imagine why you would find it distracting.

Brian

Thanks Brian,
When I say large dog, I'm talking Bernese Mountain Dog, Newfoundland type size. I take care of my parent's large do, he's 32" to the shoulder and weighs 140 lbs. Right now we have to play musical cars whenever I have him, using my dad's F150. He does fit fine in the back of a Forester, I'm not sure about the CX-5 though. The rear seats would have to be down, I know that for sure. I know most people think a Golden Retriever is a big, but to me that's a medium size dog...just imho.

Good to know about the LED lights, I mostly drive on dark roads out in the country at night. So if they are really much better that would be good for spotting things like critters on the road. Sorry to hear they may have their own issues.

My current car (2002 Toyota Solara) has factory JBL speakers and tweeters (it was a package at the time) with the factory stereo. It think it great, but then again I don't bump the bass or anything. I've only test driven CX-5s with the Bose system, so I'm not sure what the base system is really like. I do figure that I could always upgrade the speakers / stereo if needed. I couldn't care less about the moonroof, just another thing I would never use and would probably start leaking on me or something.

When I was doing my test drive at night just driving straight down the highway, every time someone was about to pass me I would see the light turn on and my reaction was to immediately look at my driver's mirror, even though I had no intention of changing lanes. To me an orange light turning on = problem so my eye is drawn to it right away, thus taking my eyes off the road (even for just a split second). I don't want to constantly be looking at that light if I can avoid it. If the light only turned on when I had the turn signal on indicating and there was a car there, I would be totally fine with that. But coming on and off whenever someone is passing me I find annoying and distracting. I know some people love it, but for me, I would prefer to not have it....again, just my preference.

Last edited:
I have 2 BMDs and a Great Pyrenees/Chow Chow mix. All 3 fit with the seats down but it's a bit tight. My BMDs are girls and 28" at the shoulder and about 75-80 lbs.

What I've found difficult is my BMDs are 9 and 9 1/2, so they have a hard time jumping up into the back due to the height of the CX5. They have a much easier time jumping into the back of our CRV as the hatch opening is almost a foot lower.

But the CRV isn't nearly as fun to drive and look at.

Last edited:
The BSM is one of the best features, and believe it or not, your brain will adjust and adapt to the light inside the mirror... Has saved me several times already!

Especially for all those crazy drivers in SAC area...

(ughdance)

the seats in the 2016.5 Touring have seat warmers, that is a great feature for me. 2016.0 Model does not have them.

I don't use the Moonroof, but I do really like the BOSE RADIO/CD Player. I did not add the TECH package, so I cannot speak to that.

I have yet to see confirmation that the 2017 2.5L is avail with the Man Trans.

Definitiely try other competitors' CUV before making your purchase. I bought a 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD 2.5L about 7 months ago. It only has 7,100 miles on it and now it started to squeak when I move the car at low speed. I wasn't pressing on the brakes so it's not the usual brake pads scratching on rotors kind of noise. I am kind of disappointed about that. It's my first Mazda and very likely will be my last one.

I wish the blind spot warning light on the side mirrors is red instead of yellow as the yellow color is not that obvious. But I know some people do not like the warning lights red like on the Benz.

Last edited:
I bought my wife a 2016.5 CX5 Touring Auto. We both really like the car. If going to upgrade the stereo anyway I would not opt for the Sun/Sound package. Although some people love having a sunroof and believe you must get one with the other. I'm not a stereo type person by any means and the Bose is better than base option but it isn't anything crazy. As far as the stereo...I find it very easy to use and program, communicate and overall operation.

I think the Subaru might be a better fit for you with the big dog and manual desired transmission. #savethemanuals

But if I had to choose I think I would still choose the Mazda as I don't need AWD, my 50lb Doodle fits fine, and I really like the look and drive of the CX5. I'm not a big fan of the new Subarus but do like Subaru overall. Unless you were looking into the Turbo model. Then it's a different comparison all in itself.

I can turn the blind spot monitoring off in my car. Is a button to the left of the steering wheel for it.

1) SkyActiv-G 2.5L + 6-speed manual on new 2nd-gen 2017 CX-5? I think chances are very slim. Although Mazda6 has such configuration, but Mazda may not willing to spend any money to certify CX-5 2.5L + manual on new EPA ratings for such a small market share!

2) Bose + moonroof and Tech packages on Touring or GT with Tech? I believe LED lightings and AFS or ALH if our NHTSA/DOT can approve it soon enough, are really worth the money no matter there're some quality issues by Mazda. The rest is all personal preferences. Moonroof is fine for me although we don't use it other than letting heat escape while parking. And Bose system in 1st-gen CX-5 is a cost-cutting product - not very good!

3) If you hate current BSM on 1st-gen CX-5, wait for newer ABSM (Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring system) by Mazda which is featured in new 2nd-gen CX-9. It'll be flashing the warning icon a lot less than old version with more software logic to calculate the situation. 2nd-gen CX-5 should have ABSM.

4) I believe some member has successfully installed after-market infotainment system in non-Bose system with steering wheel controls. Not sure if he's connected to commander's knob part or not.

I think the Subaru might be a better fit for you with the big dog and manual desired transmission. #savethemanuals

Yeah, I really would like a manual, but the Subaru has it's own problems. For one, I find the seats on the painful side of uncomfortable. If you go over to the Subaru Forester forum there is a fiery rage storm across the sky of an argument about the oil consumption issues. In many of the threads you'll see people saying that it's a problem in the manuals. That could just be a cop-out to make the 98% CVT drivers happy, but who knows. Also, the complicated AWD and associated costs are really something I don't need. I do go down Forester Service type roads, but my 2wd car does ok (except for ground clearance which is why I want a SUV), and my old Mazda B2300 was a rock star on dirt roads.

What I've found difficult is my BMDs are 9 and 9 1/2, so they have a hard time jumping up into the back due to the height of the CX5. They have a much easier time jumping into the back of our CRV as the hatch opening is almost a foot lower.

But the CRV isn't nearly as fun to drive and look at.

I'm totally on board with you there, the load height is not idea. I do have a sloped driveway that I can drive down a bit to make the jump in height much less, or I'm willing to get a ramp. I parked a Forester and CX-5 next to eachother and the heights are just about the same. The CR-V does win here, but I just can't stand them, it's too much of a soccer mom car for me (I'm 34, male, single) and I already live in the burbs, the CR-V is just a bridge too far. The RAV4 is also really good for the cargo lift height, but I really don't like the new models. I was considering a 2012 V6 Limited RAV4, but the cost for one with 80,000 miles is the same as a used 2016 CX-5 Touring, and because that model generation was developed so long ago, I don't think it would be as safe of a car in crashes as something newer.

Keep the thoughts coming, this is what I have so far....

1) We don't know if the 2017 2.5 will have a MT, but it seems unlikely.

2) Bose / Moonroof is take it or leave it. I haven't see much argument for the LED lights being significantly better.

3) BSM I may get used to. On that note, I did notice that the dashboard lights on the car were super bright at night. I looked for the dimmer, but couldn't find it. Last night I downloaded the CX-5 manual and found out how to dim the lights. Does the mirror warning light dim with the dash lights? Maybe that's why it was so annoying, maybe it was set in "daylight" mode. Also, it says that the BSM will stick to the condition before the car was turned off, but my test didn't work on that front. I'll try that again, and anyone speak to if the BSM is off when the car turns off if it stays off the next time you start the car? (As a total side note, why in the world is there a whole section of the CX-5 owner's manual on how to load golf club bags into the car....this seems weirdly specific).

4) No info back just yet on this.

More test drives today!

Thank!

If it helps you any, Dave Coleman was doing an interview at the press event for the 2017, and he mentioned something about the 2.5 possibly being available with the manual. The way he worded it was a teaser though, no confirmation. Said something like, hey, if you guys want a manual on the 2.5, like if you would buy that, just let us know! *wink wink*

If it helps you any, Dave Coleman was doing an interview at the press event for the 2017, and he mentioned something about the 2.5 possibly being available with the manual. The way he worded it was a teaser though, no confirmation. Said something like, hey, if you guys want a manual on the 2.5, like if you would buy that, just let us know! *wink wink*

Wow, that would be something, can you remember where you saw that? I'll try doing a search for 207 CX-5 and Dave Coleman. Thanks

I think it was stated in this video.

Yep, at 8:10 in the video, he asks about how many people would buy the 2.5L manual. Doesn't say what trim that would be in though, they may still stick it in the Sport trim level with them dropping the 2.0L engine...but if they know what's good for them they would have it all the way up to the GT!!! Hopefully at least the Touring would get it, thank you so much for sharing!!

I just got back from a 2016 test drive of one without the Bose system.....getting back to my questions.

1) See above

2) More headroom for sure without the Bose system. Radio seemed ok to me, not great, not terrible, something I could throw some speakers at later if I really wanted to.

3) Turning BSM off, then the car off, and then the car back on, the BSM stayed off! Maybe this changed in 2016, but I'm happy about that if I find the system annoying I can always turn it off and put a piece of electrical tape over the warning light on the dash.

3) Still not sure on changing out the unit. The commander's knob was a bit awkward, but then again I've never used one before.

Right now it's down to whether the dog will fit and if I should wait on info for the 2017 MT. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
⋯ I was considering a 2012 V6 Limited RAV4, but the cost for one with 80,000 miles is the same as a used 2016 CX-5 Touring, and because that model generation was developed so long ago, I don't think it would be as safe of a car in crashes as something newer.
This may not be true. NHTSA Frontal Barrier Crash Ratings on passenger side listed on window sticker for 2016(.5) Mazda CX-5 has only 3 stars, whereas 2012 Toyota RAV4 has 4. The overall crash ratings are about the same between the two.

IIHS

[2016 CX-5]

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-10%20at%203.21.46%20PM.png

[2012 Rav4].. small front overlap not tested and a disaster until a mid-year change in 2014.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-10%20at%203.19.59%20PM.png

Touring is hands down the most value trim. Read an article where the author ranked it best trim/car combo in the segment followed by crv.
Bose and moonroof are ok. On good roads you can enjoy the bose system. Else cabin noise ruins it.
If tech package has adaptive cruise, smart city breaking then those are good features. Else don't do it for LED lights only. I got the bose trim since wife wanted moonroof.
Right now you can walk out with base touring for 23 ish. 17s are going to be awesome so sales should be hard to come by - i would not get a used unless its 19 k or less.

Right now you can walk out with base touring for 23 ish. 17s are going to be awesome so sales should be hard to come by - i would not get a used unless its 19 k or less.

On the 17s I'm not sure what I think about the new "lower" stance. I wonder how much ground clearance they will be sacrificing. Also, whether or not cargo volume, which is already a bit small for my liking, will go down even more with the new interior.

Right I could get a used 2016 CX-5 Touring (no bose package) with 40k miles for around $17k - $18k. $6,000 more for a new one doesn't seem so bad on the face of it, but the I hate the idea of taking a depreciation hit.

This may not be true. NHTSA Frontal Barrier Crash Ratings on passenger side listed on window sticker for 2016(.5) Mazda CX-5 has only 3 stars, whereas 2012 Toyota RAV4 has 4. The overall crash ratings are about the same between the two.

True, though IIHS has it as a Top Safety Pick + for the CX-5. The old RAV4 I have a hard time believing would have passed the small overlap test that the 2013 failed...that was the first year of their "new and improved" design.

2) Do people feel the Bose / Moonroof and Technology packages are worth it? I like the idea of the better headlights if they truly are better as I do drive at night quite a bit.

Along with the LED headlights, the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) is fantastic if you drive at night along twisty, rural roads. They swivel to point into turns, which is great for spotting deer and other wildlife at night. It's one of my favorite features.

Along with the LED headlights, the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) is fantastic if you drive at night along twisty, rural roads. They swivel to point into turns, which is great for spotting deer and other wildlife at night. It's one of my favorite features.

question about the AFS swiveling mount: new 2016 CX-9 owners are posting that their AFS headlights are shaking a lot almost to the point that they feel loose when going over bumps, is that true for the CX-5 ?

Back