Need help, bad wastegate?

rickyfinch07

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I got back in my car today after being on the road for three days. It won't build any boost. After checking all my connections I, pulled the vacuum line that runs to the wga, and I can blow air into it.
Is my wga bad?

Thanks in advance,
Ricky

Last edited:
Also, the car is smoking intermediatly when I let off the throttle under acceleration. I assume its fuel, but can't smell it.

Update..
Smoke has a blue tint to it. I'm worried I some how blew a head gasket.
I.didn't run the car hot or anything. Tomorrow I'm going to replace the exhaust flange gasket.. something I've been putting off.
I.want to see if the smoke is coming from the leaking exhaust flange gasket or my head.....

I.drove the car about 40 miles. Ran fine with the exception of not having boost and smoking under acceleration and after acceleration.. I'm really hoping it's fuel, however it doesnt smell like it is running really rich. I can't smell fuel at all.
Please if you have anything to offer, do so.
Yhank you,
Ricky

Last edited:
If it was just your waste gate actuator, you would likely still be able to build some boost if not over-boost, since the actuator spring holds the waste gate closed until it has a predetermined amount of boost pressure applied to the diaphragm. It is not likely that the leak at your waste gate actuator is allowing a large enough boost leak to prevent you from building any boost at all. That being said, you should not be able to blow air through it either. Sounds like you may have multiple issues. Check to make sure your internal waste gate flap is actually closing. If it does not, you will not build boost. You could have a sizeable boost leak, check all of your charge pipe connections and check operation of your bypass valve.
The smoking issue could be due to you car dumping excess fuel due to a large boost/vac leak. Check your boost and vac readings. However, blue smoke usually means you are burning oil. could go on and on, but hopefully this helps.

Where I sit now, I'm going to have to remove the turbo and figure this out. I'm 100 % sure also that my internal flap as moved and the wag actuator is bad. I just think it's strange it all appeared at once.
The car does burn some oil but it's never smoked like this, maybe it's mostly fuel and some oil.
I checked all connections, everything is good, vac at idle looks spot on where it's been since I bought the car.

Once I get the turbo off, is there a way to check to.see if the wga actuator is.bad?
Thanks.

Edit, also it will build one pound.of boost.

Sure there is. Check to see that the internal waste gate flap is closed with no pressure applied to the waste gate actuator. There is common problem with a metal sleeve for the waste gate flap hinge pin backing out and not allowing the flap to close. If this is the problem, there is a thread that shows how to fix it. You can find it with a quick search. To check the waste gate actuator apply 7-8 psi to the vac fitting on the waste gate actuator and see if it holds pressure and opens the flap. That simulates the boost that is needed to open the waste gate. Also use a vacuum pump to check if the WGA holds vacuum. If it does not hold pressure and/or vacuum, then it should be replaced. Good luck.

Also while you have the turbo off, check your intake tube and charge pipes for oil. If you have a bunch of oil in your intake tube and valve cover breather hose, then your pcv system is malfunctioning. If there is no (or very little) oil in the intake tube and breather hose, but you have a bunch of oil in your charge pipes and intercooler, then you probably have bad turbo seals. Both pcv and turbo seals can cause the engine to burn oil. Other causes of burning oil will require internal engine repairs (valve stem seals, piston rings, etc.)

Back