Need GPS Navigation recommendations

:
2009 CX-9 Touring AWD
Going shopping today for portable system, thinking a 5" screen as a minimum. What do you guys use and recommend? Concerned about price, so looking for the best value of features for the price.

Garmin nuvi 1490 LMT
TomTom VIA 1605TM

Also, any suggestions for mounting lower down on the console instead of on the dash or glass? Thanks a lot.

Well, I decided on the TomTom unit from Amazon. Will do a brief write-up on after I put a few miles on it.

Cheers!

What ever device you decide on, make sure it's comes with FREE LIFETIME MAP UPDATES.

I have the Tom Tom GO 2505 Very Happy with it.

Actually, the iPhone 5 is the best bargain. Like getting a free TOMTOM. Free maps. Free upgrades,..

Note: The GPS works anywhere. But the data connect (searches/ weblinks/ reviews) requires a 4G/3G/cell signal.

It works well in most situations, and will only get better. Some folks may find that it is enough for casual use.

I have the iPhone 5, and though the GPS on it is very good, I felt that I couldn't use the phone for other tasks and GPS at the same time that well. If others here feel differently, I'd like to hear how you manage it.

Anyway, just installed the unit on a Universal Vent Mount from Bracketron and gave it quick test. The 1605TM (TM for lifetime traffic and map updates) has a 6" WVGA 800 x 480 display that is very nice and crisp for this size, though, of course, if you've become used to the retina display on the iPhone, (1136x640), it might seem a bit of a downgrade!

Also, I'm not sure but think all TomTom units (and Garmins) besides this one have the much lower resolution 480 x 272 display which looks pretty bad.

I use the British female voice, and found the directions and turn by turn (distances in yards) to be very accurate on my trip. At the exact moment when reading a particularly confusing set of 6 overhead signs at night, in the rain, on the BQE, the voice guidance perfectly directed and read out the exit to take.

The menu system seem OK so far with only a little time using it, but there was one thing that seemed problematic. I like to have the list of driving instructions displayed so that I can always see what the next two or three turns are coming up.

On this unit, as you navigate through the list and reach the bottom of the (I think five) displayed directions, it does not automatically scroll down to the next set of five. In other words, you may be coming up to the fifth turn, but are unable to see the sixth turn or anything after that until you manually scroll down. Yet the previous four directions are still displayed which seemed totally useless.

The mount:
1315246_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

The universal mount from TomTom says that it is not compatible with this model, but it looks exactly the same and it's cheaper (on sale now) so I may return this one and switch if for the TomTom.

I did order the TomTom dash mount, but think that it is too far away to be practical.... and haven't tried the window mount which comes with it for the same reason. Anyway, thanks for reading, and let me know if you have any questions!

Installed in the car:
from above
TomTom1605ventmount2.jpg

from the driver's seat:
TomTom1605ventmount1.jpg

You'll need to be a bit of a mutlitasker to use the iPhone GPS, what with all the other things the device can do.

One drawback, the maps go away whenever you have an incoming call, and this can be at very inconvenient times, like merging ramps in a busy city.

Free is great, but most folks would find a separate gps head easier to deal with and to pass along to other drivers in the household.

Back