Need details about how to prep a car before a paint job

Khoifather

:
Mazda Protege5
Hi, I plan on getting a paint job soon and I want to do the prep work myself. I'm not sure what exactly to do and what strength sand paper to buy. Can someone tell me what exactly to do or show me to a website that explains everything. Thanks!

ok, first thing is get some 150 grit sand paper, well, get a lot of it! Start with taking anyting off of the car that isn't going to get painted (less tape time, this is a good thing) anything else that is, i.e. wing, fender flares, mirrors, take them off and sand them sepratly, these will be painted off of the car. If you are getting a professional paint job, take off your door panels and sand the jambs and behind the panels. You will want to scuff the clear coat so it is no longer shiny, but don't take it off. Anything you can take off of the car the better, badges, stickers, anything to save the painter time will make it cheaper for you. Remeber though, if you mess it up and he has to fix it you will get charged more. Your paint job is only going to be as good as your prep job, so take your time and make sure its right. best of luck bro.

150? id start with 180 little less course. i would then finish with wet sanding with 600. well depends if they are gonna primer. if they are then 320 dry should do the trick. the primer should fill in the scratches. everything else he/she said is right.

Back