need advice re alloy wheel size new mazda3GS

JaneF

Is there any significant performance difference/handling between the 15" vs. the 16" aluminum alloy wheel? Picking up my new Mazda 3GS 15" aluminium wheel this weekend and considering the upgrade to the sport pkg (moonroof, 16" wheel). Do not really want the moonroof, but wondering if I will regret not getting the larger sized wheel. I am not concerned with looks, only with handling. Would appreciate very much any input from mazda owners. I am buying the car from a dealer 300 miles away from my home and cannot test drive both sizes (only test drove a 16" with the local dealer)...he knows I am not buying from him and therefore he won't want to waste time letting me test drive a 15" which I am scheduled to buy at the moment.

I believe it'll mainly be looks. With the 15" rims, you'll have a really tall tire. For example, if you had the option of getting 17" rims, your tires would be low profile, which many think look better. Of course this is still subjective.

You said you don't care about looks, so might as well save money and stay with 15" rims, especially if you dont' care about sunroof.
I would just get power windows/locks and stay with the cheaper trim.
The advantages of smaller rim is:
-faster acceleration (I doubt you'd notice this much though, but theoretically since the wheel is lighter)
-Your tires will cost less
-Smoother ride with taller tire.

Disadvantages:
- You might feel that it handles not as well because the tall tire can give it a "mushy" feeling. I'd doubt you'd notice this too much. Since your'e talking about GS trim, I'm assuming you're from Canada and so roads have tons of potholes/cracks. I'd say the tradeoff for smoother ride makes up for this.

- Looks "not as pleasing" (oh well)

If you want, you can always wait around on the forum for someone to sell their 16" rims and get them cheaper. You can also probably get Protege 16" rims.

Olestra said:
I believe it'll mainly be looks. With the 15" rims, you'll have a really tall tire. For example, if you had the option of getting 17" rims, your tires would be low profile, which many think look better. Of course this is still subjective.

You said you don't care about looks, so might as well save money and stay with 15" rims, especially if you dont' care about sunroof.
I would just get power windows/locks and stay with the cheaper trim.
The advantages of smaller rim is:
-faster acceleration (I doubt you'd notice this much though, but theoretically since the wheel is lighter)
-Your tires will cost less
-Smoother ride with taller tire.

Disadvantages:
- You might feel that it handles not as well because the tall tire can give it a "mushy" feeling. I'd doubt you'd notice this too much. Since your'e talking about GS trim, I'm assuming you're from Canada and so roads have tons of potholes/cracks. I'd say the tradeoff for smoother ride makes up for this.

- Looks "not as pleasing" (oh well)

If you want, you can always wait around on the forum for someone to sell their 16" rims and get them cheaper. You can also probably get Protege 16" rims.

Thanx so much. Already I am feeling better about forgetting the sport pkg. The seller (dealer) says he will let me test drive the 15" and he is sure I won't notice the difference from the 16 I test drove locally. He has given me a great price on the car and been totally upfront so far on everything (I had done my homework re wholesale price and MSRP etc) so you are confirming what he is telling me:))

Larger tires for 15s

I too have a Canadian 04 GS with stock 15 inchers.
If you don't want to spend on the sport package, but want great handling, have your dealer replace the cheap Toyos BEFORE taking delivery of the vehicule.

The stock Toyos are mostly touring tires, they are sninny at 195/65 and will wear quite fast under spirited driving..... my experience. But they are confortable and quiet.

Wish i had replaced the tires when buying the car, i changed them at 8000kms and they were wearing fast.

I replaced the stock touring Toyos with larger performance Falken ZIEX512 205/60 tires. Makes a big difference on handling, but not on the wallet.... paid $460cdn balanced+installed+taxed. Overall size is about the same as stock and width is same as the 16" tires. And as a bonus, i still have the confortable ride for our so-called highways and roads in Quebec.... my commute in Montreal is quite bumpy. Looks quite good too, fills up the wheelwells very nicely and i don't scratch my rims when parallel parking by the sidewalk, as the larger tire provides protection for the rims.

Weight of wheel/tire combo is about 36lbs.

Back