Need advice on a USED 2008 CX 9 GT

ashbmw

Hi Guys

My wife and I are in the market to get a 7 seater as our 2nd vehicle. We are looking at 2008 CX-9 vs Highlander. I know I know we like CX-9 too but since it will be used by my wife and we are picking up something just under 100k (60k miles) drive how is the maintenance on the Cx-9? Gas wise I know it is same as any other V6 SUV but I'm more curious about oil change and etc. All the mechanics I've come across they swear by Toyota's Highlander but they might be biased.

any input will be greatly appreciated. :) I wouldn't hesitate if we were getting a new one...

Thanks
Ash

^
I've been owning my 2008 cx-9 for about 11 months and driven for 10000 miles (16000 kms), so far so good. *knock on wood*

The manual states to do the regular maintenance (basic oil change, etc.) every 7500 miles, so i suggest you followed the schedule. This is a Japanese car, so it should be more reliable compare to European or Domestic cars.

66,000 miles on my 2008 CX-9 GT, full synthetic every 7500 miles and going strong.

Not a single problem...knock on wood!

7500 oil change interval is for people with longer trips.
5000 is more conservative in my opinion (and easier to remember, too).

Thanks

thanks for the response guys! Now I'm going to see few dealers to check out 2008 GT with Navi/Leather/power tailgate, blind spot sensors, and etc with 50K - 70K miles. Any tips to check if car has been taken care well? like transmission etc?

Also correct me if I'm wrong if 2008s were ever recalled by Mazda?

Thanks again
Ash

There were 2 recalls for 08: some Thule roof rack accessory that had poor mounting hardware, and then a recall for the seat heaters I think (mine fell out of the vin range).

One thing you need to consider is AWD or FWD. I see you live in Canada. If you live anywhere flat, get FWD, unless you travel alot in hilly/mountainous areas which receive snow. The CX-9 AWD seems to have a high maintenance rate in my opinion. There are a good number of posts on here of folks with the rear differential failing (they make a right turn and hear a grinding noise). Something about a re-designed part inside the rear housing. That and pre-mature leaking of the rear housing. If you do get a used 08 AWD, I would say be prepared to fork out good money on the rear differential at any time if its already at 60k. Mazda did work out the kinks on the rear differential, but not until 2010 or 2011.

Regarding the Highlander, the front seats are pretty lousy, not physically possible to get an adult in the 3rd row, (just a temporary 3rd row, emergency need only, tiny little 3rd row flaps that can be pulled up and called seats).

Also, the Highlander 2008 model was the first year of the new body style. CX-9 2008 was the 2nd year of the CX-9.
Highlander only has a 5 speed automatic. CX-9 has a rock solid Aisin-Warner AWF-21 (although the Mazda version is a slightly reconfigured version of the AWF-21) 6 speed Japanese transmission.

Fuel economy on the Toyota is 18/24 vs CX-9 18/22.

Here is where to look at actual facts about reliability for both vehicles, for your reading pleasure:
Highlander: http://www.truedelta.com/Toyota-Highlander/problems-268/2008
CX-9: http://www.truedelta.com/Mazda-CX-9/problems-730/2008

Very interesting is that 2010 and 2011 True Delta reports are OUTSTANDING for the CX-9. This is because all the kinks have been worked out.

Thanks so much! but now you got me thinking...If i go for 2010 they are atleast 8K more in price. Canadian car/truck prices are ridiculously high. I'm looking at 30K dollars for a 2010 GT taxes included.

The recall of my '08 was about the power-seat, not the heater.
There is a wire that might come loose or short during driving. The power seat "might move" while
you are driving (hence, a call is needed due to safety).
'09 models, however, have new 2-stage seat warmers, that experienced problems. I am sure later ones
are fine now.

@Ceric - I wonder if I get an used 80k km (50k m) and run into transfer/differential front/rear and leakage issues - what amount am I looking at to get them all fixed?

@Helbigtw - you mentioned most of the kinks were fixed in 2010

I have 2010 demo at the dealer about 51k (miles) about 28000 (GT Navi etc)
and 2009 with low 29k miles same price 28000 (same options GT navi entertainment too in this) by a private seller

which one looks a better deal in your opinion?

btw thanks for the review I read up about highlander 2008 not many great reviews esp with tires, brakes, and 3rd row seating which is imp to me.

A bad transfer case will cost you more than $2k to fix at dealers.
Bad differential is probably a bit lower, but it will be around $1k.
Let us hope that it would happen to you.
Remember that the warranty is 5yr/60K (miles) in US (what is that in Canada?).

Both transfer case and differential/coupling (at the rear) are covered under powertrain warranty.

Hi Guys

My wife and I are in the market to get a 7 seater as our 2nd vehicle. We are looking at 2008 CX-9 vs Highlander. I know I know we like CX-9 too but since it will be used by my wife and we are picking up something just under 100k (60k miles) drive how is the maintenance on the Cx-9? Gas wise I know it is same as any other V6 SUV but I'm more curious about oil change and etc. All the mechanics I've come across they swear by Toyota's Highlander but they might be biased.

any input will be greatly appreciated. :) I wouldn't hesitate if we were getting a new one...

Thanks
Ash

Keep in mind that in the '08 Highlander, if you have a 3rd row, the seats aren't split. It's all up or all down. Depending on your kid situation, that could be a real pain.

Between Highlander and CX(, let me break it down for you:

Highlander:
Pros: better MPG (1-2mpg), best-in-class reliable (not that CX9 is bad)

CX9:
Pros: fun to drive. As reliable as Pilot, not to Highlander level (according to ConsumersReport).

I have a 08 CX-9 AWD running it in Calgary. Mountain trips, snow, ice, long trips, city commuting, you name it. 95,000 Km, regular oil changes with Mobil 1. I have not had one problem with this car. Very happy with it. Fun to drive and still looks sexy after 4 years. I have not experienced any of the reported transfer case noises or issues. The Bridgestone Dueler OEM tires are absolute crap so if you buy a used CX-9 with these tires, think about investing in some new (and better ones). Winter tires highly recommended since you are in Canada. Blizzak LM-25 all the way.

Randy

I believe Highlanders had the same lousy OE tires from Bridgestone.
Don't know if that had changed.

I just looked a brand new Tahoe last week (as in a customer's vehicle), and guess what kind of tires it had? Yep you guessed it. Duellers. And the lady mentioned to me how terrible they are with wet traction.

Bridgestone has the pimp game down for sure.

The game is simple.
You sell them cheap to automakers. When the uninformed owners (like 80% on the streets)
replace their tires, they go for the "same" tires. Then, big money is made.
Look at how expensive the Duellers are. Do you think automakers are that stupid to put such
expensive and lousy tires on their vehicles? No way. It is win-win between automakers and tire
makers.

great feedback...thanks I have more confidence in buying a CX9...I'm still looking for a GT 09 deal...let's see

Back