need advice for buying a protege

kastleback

Contributor
:
2003 mazda protege 5
Hey guys. I used to own a 2003 protege5 but am now looking to switch to a protege sedan. I found one (2002 protege) thats for sale for $500 but it states that the car went bad because the timing belt gave. im just wondering if itll be worth the buy and fix? not sure if i can post the actually craigslist post on here. 127xxx miles. thanks

I'd guess that there is an interference between the valves and pistons. That could be somewhat expensive if a shop does all the work. You might want to get more details before even looking at the car.

You should assume you'll have to replace the engine or at least do extensive headwork. That $500 Protege will end up costing $2500+. For that much money, you can probably find a comparable sedan in better shape.

2002 Protege Sedan? That would me a FS 2.0 motor, non interference. all you need is a new timing belt and you're good to go. I've replaced many broken belt-fs motors. not hard to do at all...can almost do with my eyes closed (except for lining up the timing marks). I promise you that 2.0 motors are non interferance and that the engine is NOT done. I'd buy the car and pay the $400 and get the water pump and timing belt replaced. that's a $900 car and will last a very long time.

Last edited:
2002 Protege Sedan? That would me a FS 2.0 motor, non interference. all you need is a new timing belt and you're good to go. I've replaced many broken belt-fs motors. not hard to do at all...can almost do with my eyes closed (except for lining up the timing marks). I promise you that 2.0 motors are non interferance and that the engine is NOT done. I'd buy the car and pay the $400 and get the water pump and timing belt replaced. that's a $900 car and will last a very long time.

While the Protege engine is said to be non-interference, forum members have had valves bend when timing belts break. For the original poster, without knowing more, it's unclear if simply replacing the timing belt will be enough. The OP will have to assume a worst case scenario in which either head work or an engine replacement will be necessary.

While the Protege engine is said to be non-interference, forum members have had valves bend when timing belts break. For the original poster, without knowing more, it's unclear if simply replacing the timing belt will be enough. The OP will have to assume a worst case scenario in which either head work or an engine replacement will be necessary.

With as many fs motors that I have replaced timing belts on, it is a extremely rare occasion (maybe less than 1%) that there will be bent valves. I for instance never seen one (unsure with how many i've done now) but all of the protege motors 2nd gen and up are non interference, including the z5, fs, bp, and zm. as far as 1st gen 323's and proteges, i am unsure because it is an extremely rare occasion we will see one roll through the dealership as a trade in for a new 3...as it will still be running.

It may need a new head but you can get a complete used head for $100 from a JY and a HG kit is about $120, plus timing belt and wp is another $150. You could have a healthy running protege for $1k.

OP, offer him $350, try a timing belt (it will more than likely work), and if it doesn't work then just get a new head. If you don't buy it, depending on your location then I may.

Back