need a sql sub to match a 500/1

tsunami

Contributor
:
mazda3 5 door
hey guys

finaly got my 500/1 (thanks nate0123) and am now looking for a good sql compliment for it. right now i am running a boston pro series off of a 300/2 bridged. mostly listen to metal/rock some random hip hop and electronic thrown in and jazz

i went and listened to some stuff at my local tweeter, very helpful and nice guy just a lil dissapointed in what they had on display that i could listen to

focal10" .... wow smooth sub though it seemed a lil unerpowerd with the 500/1

polk sr series 12" (new sub from polk) liked the way it sounded though it may be a bit more punchy then i want especially since i was looking for a 10 not a 12

alpine type x... not as punchy as the sr but for some reason i didn't like the way it sounded that much... could have been the box/room as it was a ported box...?? or maybe its just not what i was looking for.

thats all they really had besides some mtx and the new w3... not really lookin at the w7 either.

i really liked the focal but the price threw me for a loop... 850$$ seems a bit steep for 1 sub

really wanted to listen to a w6 but they didn't have any as well as the new boston sub the g5.

thoughts/suggestions and ideas are welcome just trying to get some more input

thanks guys

Last edited:
i recommend the jl w3. best sub that ive owned thus far. but, I play almost exclusively hip-hop/rap, so quite a bit different in taste.

i think the 500/1 would push 2 w3... and i only want 1 sub... preferably 10" but i am open to other option... pretty much solid on just 1 sub regardless of size though.

keep in mind that the enclosure has a lot to do with how the subs sound. that being said, i'd go with the 10w6v2 or SR 10. both are excellent subs, but the SR is a little less efficient.

yeah i was just looking at the focal site and saw what they had listed for the 27 kx sub and the enclosure it was in was some fiber glass enclosure made to show off the installers ability... (i think it had a lot to do with why it sounded underpowered)

that being said i wish they had had a w6 for me to listen to. there is a mom and pop stereo shop that also carries jl i may go there but thats pretty much all he carries so i won't be able to compare it to much...

wish as a paying customer they would have offered to set up a 10w6 and a sr10 for me to listen to and compare....

Last edited:
not directly but i stated a couple times that i wanted to hear a w6 and the guy just kept saying that they didn't have one for display and i also mentioned i would have rather heard the 10" instead of the 12" polk sr and he said that he didn't have one of those for display either what you see is what we got... ???

I was recently looking for a 10" for my 250/1. I have both the 8w7 and the 10w3v3. Sound is almost identical, but the 8w7 is punchier. You would swear it's a 10" sub. I'm currently running the 8.

Attachments

• 4sale40.jpg
    4sale40.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 312
glad to hear the amp arrived in one piece (2thumbs)

edit: wait, did it arrive already? I only sent it on Saturday...

tsunami said:
not directly but i stated a couple times that i wanted to hear a w6 and the guy just kept saying that they didn't have one for display and i also mentioned i would have rather heard the 10" instead of the 12" polk sr and he said that he didn't have one of those for display either what you see is what we got... ???

think of the mentality of the majority of their customers. they want a ton of bass and probably really have no idea what they really want or how to achieve what they want. if they just had 10's on display, somebody would come in and ask why they aren't as loud as the 12's at another store.

yeah i know the avg customer probably goes to that big red sign on the mtx dual 12 box that says something along the lines of the most bestes bass evar!! or whatever... but they are pretty much my only choice to compare subs as the only other store that carries jl only carries jl they have 1 entry level type company but nothing i would be interested in to compare it to... pretty much sucks to be me...

yeah i am prob goin with the 10w6... as i can't compare the polk sr and the 10w6 side by side i will go with what i know...

Too bad you aren't closer, i'm getting rid of my 10" Alpine Type-R DVC 1 ohm 1000w.

I'm running it off a 1000w class D amp right now and it is way too much sub for me now.

Good luck with your new setup

Matt

Back