Need a new engine, should I go JDM or USDM FSDE?

that's a 4WD FS-DE, why don't you save time and use the whole engine as is, but swap the USDM FS-DE intake cam, cam gears, crank pulley, water pipes, etc over? the head is the same as the protege's

Last edited:
that's a 4WD FS-DE, why don't you save time and use the whole engine as is, but swap the USDM FS-DE intake cam, cam gears, crank pulley, water pipes, etc over?
WHOA! I didn't even know there was such a thing as a 4WD FSDE, how can you tell?

Well I was going to use the MSP head because I replaced the valve seals a few months ago and I know they're good. I gotta change over the crank pulley regardless because the USDM one has the teeth for the crank angle sensor. And I was also toying with the idea of dropping the engine as is and just swapping over the intake cam, but again, I don't know much about the JDM FSDE or the differences in the head and was looking for more information before I knew which route I should take. From the info I've gathered the JDM intake manifold is slightly better the in higher RPM range over the USDM one.

So let's assume I use the JDM head, beside the intake cam, cam gears, the pulley and the turbo related stuff, is there anything else I need to make it work with the MSP? I supposed if I'm going to swap over the intake cam anyway, I can take a look at the valve seals on the JDM valves and if they're bad or on their way out, swap them with the ones on the MSP valves.

Now that I'm done with the swap, I'll just leave a few gems of wisdom for people who want to tackle this swap. I am not responsible or liable for anything that might happen with your swap, these are just recommendations to get this to work that I've found out on my own, since I couldn't find this info myself before hand, figure it'll make it easier to have this info while you prep the engine.

This is for the JDM FSDE, I can't speak for the FSZE.

The things to make the swap work:
-MSP crank pulley (MSP has teeth on them, JDM doesn't but it does already have the crank angle sensor)
-MSP intake cam (check both intake and exhaust cams before you swap, but only the intake on mine was different).
-MSP fuel rail assuming you're using the JDM intake manifold (you could also use the JDM fuel rail with a 626 fuel line that goes from the rail to the firewall, but if you wanna keep it the same, use the MSP fuel rail. You'll also need a different set of washers or modify the plastic black ones for the rail to bolt to the manifold. the MSP fuel rail uses four bolts but the JDM intake manifold only has two threads to bolt down the rail. It will work though)
-MSP throttle body (the TPS on the JDM throttle body has a different connector and you can't swap connectors because the housings are different, a lot easier to just use the MSP throttle body)
-MSP oil pressure sensor (the JDM one has a 1 pin connector, the MSP has a two pin connector)
-MSP coil on top with valve cover (you could use the coil packs but you would have to modify the harness to reach the packs. Also keep in mind the space might be limited with the turbo and intake pipe in the way, easier just to use the MSP COT and valve cover)

Also if you're using the JDM intake manifold you'll most likely need to adjust the throttle cable with the allen screw on the throttle body.

Otherwise it's a straight forward FSDE swap.

Back