NA MSP - going the NA route

Nothin yet. Haven't had a chance to go by the shop. Photography's been really busy this month. Don't worry though. Looking for cams right now.

So..I'm in the midst of working out my goals on a spreadsheet. Also working out the list of parts that I still need. I think this looks promising. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some Haltech E6X tuning for an NA application?

I'm guessing the Haltech I have has already a base map for a boosted car or do they all come blank? Is there an autotune function on the E6X?

Complete N00b in the EMS department here.

I wish I could help you with the EMS question.

If you need a J&S Safeguard, let me know, I'm selling one.

Maybe you covered this, but...

I don't understand why you're spending thousands of dollars to REDUCE the power and performance of your MSP?! I'm really confused.

IIRC, there was a JDM model with 170hp - pistons, cams, software, etc were different. You'll probably spend north of $2,000 to replicate it, and even then, if you're running a cat and/or a stock P5 ECU, you won't match the power that engine had.

...so the question is...why?!

I'll buy your turbo parts. lol.

socal youre just not right. sorry, but with a good tune this has potential to make more power than a msp and it will have power at every rpm. id rather have 170 na hp than 170 boosted hp.

if youre looking for help with the haltech install contact brian_mp5

socal youre just not right. sorry, but with a good tune this has potential to make more power than a msp and it will have power at every rpm. id rather have 170 na hp than 170 boosted hp.

well-chosen words

Maybe you covered this, but...

I don't understand why you're spending thousands of dollars to REDUCE the power and performance of your MSP?! I'm really confused.

IIRC, there was a JDM model with 170hp - pistons, cams, software, etc were different. You'll probably spend north of $2,000 to replicate it, and even then, if you're running a cat and/or a stock P5 ECU, you won't match the power that engine had.

...so the question is...why?!

I'll buy your turbo parts. lol.

It's different and I wanna do it. That's the most basic answer. And..don't worry about the ecu etc. It'll be running a full standalone ems.

socal youre just not right. Sorry, but with a good tune this has potential to make more power than a msp and it will have power at every rpm. Id rather have 170 na hp than 170 boosted hp.

^^^^ qft!^^^^

More horsepower than a bone stock MSP? Possibly, but it won't be cheap. And it will have less torque. I already covered the "it will cost more" part, too.

Don't get me wrong...I like n/a power too. But it won't even come close to 200 wheel with a perfect tune on a 2 liter with static cams, stock valves, etc. I'm sure 150whp would be "peppy," but I wouldn't be able to pay someone significant sums of cash to reduce the performance of my car (my guess is about +15hp and -15lb/ft crank compared to the stock setup).

I'd rather have 245 boosted hp (common on the bolt on P5 kits according to dynos on YouTube) than 170 n/a. ;)

At any rate, have fun with her, and I commend you for being original.

Ps, if you'd rather have N/A power than boosted power...why is your car supercharged?!

Last edited:
my car is indeed blown, but i really wish i was NA with the same power

You can be NA with the same power! It would only cost about 3-4x the cost of your supercharger kit! Haha.

I recently dealt with this dilemma with a 12V VR6 (VW) engine. I wanted a drag project, but I really wanted an N/A motor. Fully massaged stock bore/stroke (2.8L) N/A builds, including relatively beefy cams, built heads with O/S valves, narrow stems and port/bowl work, 288 cams, custom management, short runner manifolds, etc. *barely* break the 200whp mark (I've seen as much as 220whp).

A basic intercooled turbo kit on a stock block, stock head car with just a turbo chip for a tune makes closer to 300-350whp and costs a fraction of what the N/A build does.

Needless to say, the VR project got a turbo.

I briefly considered the same situation on the P5...full bolt on cars were making about 102-105whp in the dyno thread. Basic bolt on turbo kits were making 200-220whp on youtube. Not really a tough decision once you look at the numbers.

N/A is sweet if you're rich and can afford a solid build. If you're on a budget and you want power, though - FI is the way to go fo sho.

Any dyno or vids of the supercharger setup? Who made the kit for these things anyway...what kinda blower?

hey man...if you wanted to ask ajkulish for the rundown on his car, pls do it over pm. Just so this s*** doesnt' get cluttered with 15 different conversations.

Back