N/A Performance List

Hi Everyone

I have been lurking around this section and have got alot of info from you guys/gals..BUT there's still some questions that I have....

Well, let me start with what mods I currently have on my 2003 Protege5..

AWR Headers
Corksport Power series exhaust
Injen Intake
Now with the basic 3 mods, what direction would I take to increase power????everything as far as flow of air into the engine to exhaust flow exiting the engine is now freed-up(sp?)what's next for the average joe..

List: est. hp I can install myself

Underdrive pulleys: 3-8hp
Lightweight flywheel: 5-8hp

And here's a list of things more into it

Intake cam:
exhaust cam:
Bigger throttle body: 60mm...like the one advertised on Corksport
Cam Gears
????? MPI N/A Tuner???????
If there's any other parts that I missed please feel free to add

Let me just say that I DO HAVE a turbo kit and the MPI tuner so Im not looking for answer like the money spent get a turbo kit... I just want to know what steps the average joe in search of more power should take...and what parts should be looked at and installed before getting really into it....

Jeremy

Well for me, I got intake, header, axleback, cams.

My next step for power would probably be getting adjustable cam gears, high flow cat/mid-pipe, a full cat back exhaust, better ignition control like the MSD Digital 6, and a better cooling system.

For me, fooling around w/ the pulleys and underdrive is kind of a last resort. Almost on the level of Port and Polishing, and taking out VTCS in the intake manifold.

Im curious myself to hear what the experts think of the larger TB from Corksport. Is this really needed, even on a heavy n/a build?

With the Injen Intake, AWR Headers, and the Corksport Power series exhaust would I be putting down???120 to the wheels???? that's granted my starting whp was 103hp...which is a 17hp increase...

The AWR states that you will see gains of 8-10hp
Injen intake 2-5hp
Complete exhaust 8-10hp

I want to add a lightweight flywheel....it says that a flywheel can gain you amywhere from 10-30 hp....I'll take 10hp an add a UDP- 8hp

can I say with the 5 mods that i'll have 125-130hp to the wheel?????

Jeremy

scorch70 said:
Im curious myself to hear what the experts think of the larger TB from Corksport. Is this really needed, even on a heavy n/a build?

I'm thinking about this mod..simply because I already have an extra throttle body...and I have to return an axleback to corksport since they sent me a sedan instead of a p5....place it in the box and then order the throttlebody and tell them the core is on the way...I want to at least get 130whp out of this car...

Jeremy

A larger throttle body is a mod you only do when it becomes a restriction. It's so integral in maintaining and controlling velocity, and without a higher rev limit it may not be necessary.

If it's within your capability, I'd make the stand-alone your next mod. Guarenteed 10whp right way, then the ability to properly take advantage of every mod therafter......

supa saiyan pr5 said:
With the Injen Intake, AWR Headers, and the Corksport Power series exhaust would I be putting down???120 to the wheels???? that's granted my starting whp was 103hp...which is a 17hp increase...

Injen intake 2-5hp
Complete exhaust 8-10hp

I want to add a lightweight flywheel....it says that a flywheel can gain you amywhere from 10-30 hp....I'll take 10hp an add a UDP- 8hp

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, if you look in my sig, you will see that my last dyno said 116 whp. This was before my midpipe, so I cant really say what my current whp is, but yeah, with a CAI, header, full exhaust, you are probably looking at 115-120 whp. As far, as I know, a lightweight flywheel will not really gain you any whp, but it will reduce your losses to the drivetrain. Same goes for a underdrive pulley. So Im not really sure what you will end up with if you do those mods. But please let us know if you dyno.

Gen1GT said:
A larger throttle body is a mod you only do when it becomes a restriction. It's so integral in maintaining and controlling velocity, and without a higher rev limit it may not be necessary.

If it's within your capability, I'd make the stand-alone your next mod. Guarenteed 10whp right way, then the ability to properly take advantage of every mod therafter......

Hey Josh, how do you determine that your TB is holding you back? these cars run so rich to start with, I would figure that getting more air in any way possible would be a positive thing. Not true?

Jeremey you can always buy my motor. There's your NA mod right there. Have you sold your turbo kit yet? Put your MPI back on the P5.

Gen1GT said:

I totally understand...I was thinking that the stand alone would be next ..where as the more mods you do you can tune them in..instead of having mods that work part-time together..the managment bring them together to gain more....

Im waiting on FADE!!!! I want to see his results with the MPI..I have the MPI but it's not the N/A Unit..maybe I can talk to MPnick about the difference with the 2 units

Jeremy

SpicyMchaggis said:
Jeremey you can always buy my motor. There's your NA mod right there. Have you sold your turbo kit yet? Put your MPI back on the P5.

I still have it.....I thinking about it and jut bypass the Turbo Module..but im not to sure on how it can be done..I'll have contact Mpnick...

Jeremy

You have a good start on ideas and "wish list" items.

Just be careful from assuming that simple bolt-ons alone and their cumulative HP/Tq gains will mean that 1+2+3=6. It's not necessarily the case. You need to get a good combination and tuning together to see a good cumulative gain.

Good luck.

Last edited:
supa saiyan pr5 said:
I totally understand...I was thinking that the stand alone would be next ..where as the more mods you do you can tune them in..instead of having mods that work part-time together..the managment bring them together to gain more....

Im waiting on FADE!!!! I want to see his results with the MPI..I have the MPI but it's not the N/A Unit..maybe I can talk to MPnick about the difference with the 2 units

Jeremy
I know..I know. Dyno dyno dyno.:D

Had the cash to do it...then bought more mods with it....not sure how that happened(scratch)

The only diff I'm aware of between the turbo MPI and n/a MPI is the module.

supa saiyan pr5 said:

Injen intake 2-5hp
Complete exhaust 8-10hp

Jeremy

You can say that, but I dynod 116whp/120tq w/ intake, header, axle-back, and cams. Best way to do it instead of talk about it is to dyno after every mod.

A flywheel won't really give you extra hp. Your engine will just respond better.

As for the UDP..I would't even say 10whp. I'd say around 3-4whp. Like I said before..best way to find out is to add each mod then go dyno.

A lightened flywheel will free up hp, but it'll be mostly in first gear that you'll notice it.

David, to find out if a TB is holding you back, you have to figure out what the stock TB is flowing in CFM, then find out the airflow needs of your engine.

The basic airflow equation is this: RPMcid3456

That equation is an extreme generalizaion, and another rule of thumb figure is 2.2cfm per horsepower. Now someone just needs to have their TB flowbenched.....I'm assuming it'll flow more than 230-260cfm needed for these equations. If not, then it's time for a bigger TB.....

we do not need to increase the size of our stock TB. it's large enough for any NA application from my calculations. simply taking it out and giving it a good polish and making the opening lip a little less abrupt is enough imo.

my vote for things next to do : cams and ecu. order doesnt matter, but cams then ecu is cheaper because you only have to tune the car once. once you do those things you wil need a new clutch, so do the fly then.

PseudoSpeed said:
actually, that = 6

(spin)

edited....I can manage advance analytical statistics with logarathmic regression ananlysis, but addition boggles me... (screwy)

Back