Mystery Substance

GTXT23

LightFoot
I first noticed this on the rear body panel sides while accessing the rear cargo area , its on the body under the rear tailgate and just below the hydraulic arm(s) in the water channel - both sides - At first I thought it was a bird dropping - then I started to find it on other concealed body areas -near the front shock towers - both sides - looks like vanilla ice cream with pepper in it - Hard like epoxy - anyone know what it is ? ?

Attachments

• D779F935-5152-46C4-AB8E-9B8ED4C88C6D.jpeg
    D779F935-5152-46C4-AB8E-9B8ED4C88C6D.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 71
  • C0A4BABB-48F3-4542-85B1-001B5752A3CF.jpeg
    C0A4BABB-48F3-4542-85B1-001B5752A3CF.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Could be vanilla ice cream with real vanilla bean specks. :D

You said it was hard like epoxy. Does that mean you can’t chip it off? If it’s on surfaces not plainly in view then as Conrad said, it’s probably some sealant or glue. Your car might have been made on a Friday.

Could be vanilla ice cream with real vanilla bean specks. :D

You said it was hard like epoxy. Does that mean you can’t chip it off? If it’s on surfaces not plainly in view then as Conrad said, it’s probably some sealant or glue. Your car might have been made on a Friday.
Well truth was discovered - as a warning to future buyers of a new car - I looked at the photo closely and its a substance with microchips in it ! Its called DataDot and the dealer tried to swindle me into buying it saying " it was already on the car " - Im not happy about it-is an understatment - but at least I didnt pay for it -Now I want to physically remove it ! If I hadnt posted it here , I never would have figured it out - looked at a close up ..and its microchips ...not pepper -
Heres a article on it :

Attachments

• 7C224F53-CB45-4C57-B112-2F9C30EEE707.jpeg
    7C224F53-CB45-4C57-B112-2F9C30EEE707.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 37
  • CA95A12F-C674-4B2D-ADCB-4262C1D74A8F.jpeg
    CA95A12F-C674-4B2D-ADCB-4262C1D74A8F.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 40
Well truth was discovered - as a warning to future buyers of a new car - I looked at the photo closely and its a substance with microchips in it ! Its called DataDot and the dealer tried to swindle me into buying it saying " it was already on the car " - Im not happy about it-is an understatment - but at least I didnt pay for it -Now I want to physically remove it ! If I hadnt posted it here , I never would have figured it out - looked at a close up ..and its microchips ...not pepper -
Heres a article on it :

whaaaaaaat

Yes and I just discovered a sticker under the hood confirming it -- removed that - but since its not actually a tracking device and I didnt pay .... it was not reported to any databases , I may just leave it -- as removing it may do more damage to the paint underneath - It will come off with Tarminator - but the stuff is so toxic it will remove paint too- so its a pisser - I just hope nobody else here has this happen - I would like to name the dealer .. but dont think its allowed to name businesses --just watch out !!

Glad you found the answer. Reminds me of the time when I had a company out to clean my carpets and he asked if I wanted the Scotchguard treatment as well. I declined and later on he admitted that it was already in the cleaning solution so you get it whether you pay or not.

These Data Dots can’t actually actively track your car, right? It’s like the microchips that you can put under the skin of your pets? If your car gets stolen then if the cops find it they can scan the dots to see who the owner is. Am I understanding that correctly?

Glad you found the answer. Reminds me of the time when I had a company out to clean my carpets and he asked if I wanted the Scotchguard treatment as well. I declined and later on he admitted that it was already in the cleaning solution so you get it whether you pay or not.

These Data Dots can’t actually actively track your car, right? It’s like the microchips that you can put under the skin of your pets? If your car gets stolen then if the cops find it they can scan the dots to see who the owner is. Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes - I just did the research to get the truth , as I do not want to pay to be tracked --- Its simple and needs to be scanned to be read - The $350 they tried to extort in F&I is a fee that gets you " registered " with the company and other law enforcement entities -- which in my opinion is absurd - I dont want the car back if its been stolen anyway - total the thing -- Thats why I said no and I thought they were pulling a sales scam saying it was already installed to close me -- but it was in fact partially applied --I only found 4 locations so Im thinking about trying to remove it before it hardens up --

WTF? What good is this? If your car has to be scanned with some sort of scanner after it's been recovered from being stolen, can't the VIN just be read to accomplish the same thing?

I looked at the website, I don't think these are actually microchips. It says it is a "passive" system that is read with a 60X scope. It appears to be tiny dots (1mm) suspended in a polyester resin. Similar to a barcode.

I looked at the website, I don't think these are actually microchips. It says it is a "passive" system that is read with a 60X scope. It appears to be tiny dots (1mm) suspended in a polyester resin. Similar to a barcode.
Sounds like a scam. No real value. If your car is stolen and chopped up for parts, you don’t really want it back!

From what I take from the info card that OP posted, the only theft deterrence is the sticker they put on the window saying “Stop! This vehicle protected by Dipping Dots”

WTF? What good is this? If your car has to be scanned with some sort of scanner after it's been recovered from being stolen, can't the VIN just be read to accomplish the same thing?
Hence scam -- It makes zero sense and it sounds like something an insurance company funded --Im guessing - But I would not want pieces of my car back after getting a call saying ,, yeah we found some of it ? There are ID#s all over the car - and VINs and a seciurity system and I have full coverage -

I think youre right -- I looked closely at the photo I posted and these are information discs or dots or whatever ..I would say computer chips is not accurate- to expensive

Hence scam -- It makes zero sense and it sounds like something an insurance company funded --Im guessing - But I would not want pieces of my car back after getting a call saying ,, yeah we found some of it ? There are ID#s all over the car - and VINs and a seciurity system and I have full coverage -

Yeah, we found a piece of your car, the piece with the dots on it, want it back?

This is SUCH BS!!! I'm sure that elderly people fall for this right and left. Shame on the dealers!!!

Latest posts

Back