My little morning story on P5 handling

azoblu3

:
2003 Protege5
Hi all, just wanted to share what happened to me this morning with my P5.

I stopped to get coffee at Tim Hortons this morning and getting back on the road, I'm at this red light, and turning right.
The street I was getting on has 3 lanes and the right one merges with the center one after about 500 meters. So I turn right on the rightmost lane as traffic was only coming on the 2 other lanes and here we can turn right on red lights.

As I'm getting speed and waiting for a car on the center lane to pass me so I can get into traffic, this a$$hole on the center lane honks his horn at me like a madman, so I decided to honk him back (just a little touch on the horn) to let him know "Calm down man! I saw you".

So I get behind him and this a$$hole SLAMS HARD on the brakes hard!!! (going about 60km/h - 40mph). I had just enough time to swerve left and get on the other lane and swerve back right passing him so I don't crash in the ditch.

Right after I got the car stable, I saw blue and red flashing lights behind us and a cop stopped the both of us.

He came up to me first and asked me if I was ok. I replied I was shaken and a bit on an adrenaline rush but I was ok and...he told me he was going to have a long talk with the other driver and that I could go and he wished me a good day!!

So I took off laughing at that a$$ that has probably gotten a ticket for wreckless driving or maybe worse.

All this to say that I was amazed at how the P5 handled all that left/right swerving (and without screeching the tires too!). My P5 saved me (and itself) from what would have been a bad accident today. Thanks P5!!

SIDE NOTE: I was 5 minutes late for work. lol.

Last edited:
Sweet!! I would venture a guess that it wasn't the jacka$$es first time to brake-check somebody.

Did you spill your coffee?

Actually, I did spill coffee....2 drops beside the shifter (those 2 drops got out from the little hole on top of the cup). Nothing else!
:)

I don't understand people who brake-check others. Don't they care about their cars....although this one had a company Econoline so he probably didn't care, he would have blamed me for ramming it it I did. Good thing there was a cop nearby tough!

Last edited:
Lucky you here in va if you rear end someone its automaticly ur fault even if they brake check you. If he was in a company van then you should have gotten the number to call and report him.

IMO, swerving to miss him was better choice than trying to remember the phone number and hittin the asswipe. Maybe the cop called the company number and told him...........oh, wait, he wouldn't have to because the company will see hit on ins cost due to the ticket on the van.

What he could be getting

I was just checking how much points he could get off his drivers license for what he did...here we go (this is taken from a quebec govenment website):

Heavy braking without necessity 2 points
Wreckless speed or action 4 points
+ 300$ to 600$ ticket
+ Possibility of up to 5 years in prison
+ Possibility of losing drivers license for up to 3 years

Serves him right! (eekdance) (bird)

Love that a cop saw it. Some young guy tried to brake check me in an Infiniti the other day and epically failed, he wound up spinning out.

If you remember the company you should still call them. Just as an extra little kick-to-the-nuts.

Sadly, checking for the company was the last thing on my mind. But yeah, that would have been a real kick-to-the-nuts for him if I did.

Last edited:
Lol on that a$$, wish more cops paid attention to bad drivers not just speeders. On a side note just curious where you are that doesn't have snow all over the roads. My P5 with winter tires has also managed to save me three insurance deductibles from other inattentive stupid-a$$ driver that don't know how to shoulder check before they change lanes.

We do usually get a lot of snow here in Quebec, but seems like this year....well we don't have so much.
We had a few snowstorms in december, but we also had a few days over 5 celsius, so much of the snow has melted since.
I hear you on those drivers that don't shoulder-check, happened to me a few times also.
I also hate those that don't take 2 minutes before driving to remove the snow from their cars and leave with all their windows covered...real dangerous.

Not the fastest car on the road (saved me from speeding tickets!) but it looks good & handles like a go-cart.
I suppose that's why we all still keep them (180K).
Glad the handling & your skills saved you.

Latest posts

Back