My Latest Mod

After about 3 months in the car and experiencing power fluctuations from a dying battery and an alternator that still needs to be tested, the ITPS decided to melt and become one w/ the power supply. I ordered a 90 watt M1-ATX power supply that functions much like an Opus, but is smaller and cheaper. :) It is 6.5"x 2" and will be going in sometime this week. Hopefully this will work better than the previous setup.

I also picked up another bezel and I'll be getting another Xenarc frame to try and make a cleaner looking dash. The bezel is scratched up, so I'll still have to paint over the fake CF. I'll post pics if it turns out better than the current one.

Last edited:
Latest update:
M1-ATX still isn't working, but Shawn's 4 yr. old or more Keypower 250watt DC-DC PS that is the same size as a regular power supply does work. :) So, that and my USB stuff is taking up all of my glovebox space, but everything is working as it should right now. It's been thru about 5 autoxes w/ no problems.

Anyone want to contribute to the fund to buy this: Oh Geez....:D

Still trying to find time to install the sub and DVD burner, finish the 2nd bezel and try to to get the M1-ATX working so I can have my glovebox back. Going to 13 autoxes so far this year hasn't given me much free time. :p

Screen looks good, i gotta give you guys with the stock-looking setups credit. What software is that Katya? Also any word on an mp3car/mazda meet? I am hoping to get my case finished sometime soon.

great work katie...still looks great even with the complications...I'm sure you will figure eveything out...

Doodsmack said:
Screen looks good, i gotta give you guys with the stock-looking setups credit. What software is that Katya? Also any word on an mp3car/mazda meet? I am hoping to get my case finished sometime soon.

This? Oh Geez
It's software + hardware designed to allow a user to map out an autox course after they run thru it one time. :)

There is some talk about a DC area meet sometime soon, but no dates toosed out yet. If you look on the gatherings board on MP3car, you'll see the thread. My autox schedule is nuts and I might not be able to make it one. I'll be in Aberdeen on Sunday if you want to try to get together. PM me and let me know.

Topher said:
newbie question...what's the point of a carputer?

To replace the MP3 HU that was stolen less than a month after I replaced the stock HU. I wanted something that didn't look flashy, but would play MP3s, easy/cheap to upgrade, and fun. This plays my music, does nav., wi-fi and has Bluetooth for use w/ my phone. I'll also eventually be able to burn DVDs, engine management, map autox courses, and all kinds of other fun stuff. I haven't had the time/funds to do all of that, but that is part of the reason why I went w/ a carputer instead of just a HU. It's been in the car for over 6 months yet and the car hasn't been touched.

Devilspawn said:
great work katie...still looks great even with the complications...I'm sure you will figure eveything out...

Thanks John :) I just have to find the time.....(crazy)

Fab work was free since I did it all myself (and the amazing case that was made for me by a friend), parts were probably around $1K, including the DVD burner and sub but minus the screen. You can go cheaper if you use regular components, but I did laptop components to save on size and also because they are sturdier.

If you check on MP3car.com, you can often find people selling almost complete set-ups and snag a pre-made that way. Otherwise, figure out what you want it to do, lots of music= big hard drive, DVDs or gaming= fast processor, fast processor+ big hard drive= big power supply, that sort of thing.

Also figure out where you would want to put it. Poseur did his on the seatback in the hatch, I did it in the dash, some people go for under the passenger seat or where the spare tire goes.

Last edited:
i love how you got the puter in the dash, i tried it with a stock P5 headunit as the case, the mobo fit but the rear connectors didn't clear it.
great job on the bondo also!

with your great advice and wonderful ideas for where you want to go with your project (bowdown) i feel like i just want to do the same things as you. You really have your head together on this. as for the geez program... be shure to talk to me about that i would love to get my hands on something like that also...
thank you so much for helping me out with my first autox i can't wait for my next chance to come out. (wrc)

(p5black)

What's the boot time?

I might've missed this, but what are you using for audio, external amp or something else?

What's the boot time?

I might've missed this, but what are you using for audio, external amp or something else?

I was going through old threads and just saw this. The carputer's been out for over 2 years now. If I remember correctly, boot time was probably around 30 seconds or so as there wasn't much on there, Win 2K, carputer interface software, and media and GPS software. I have an external 4 channel amp that is still under the passenger seat. All of the hardware I used is mentioned in the first post. I need to sell all of my old stuff. If I were to redo this now, I'd used either a Pico or Nano-ITX board and an in-dash retractable touchscreen. But that won't happen unless I stop autoxing and definitely after I finish grad school.

Why go with the in-dash, retractable screen as opposed to the bondoed screen?
All of the internals were behind the screen, so if I needed to access anything, I had to pull out the whole dash. W/ a Xenarc retractable, I could have that in the upper din and all the internals in the lower din in an MSP pocket and still have it look pretty nondescript and very easy to work on.

Back