my gargoyle

Sain't

I got a new snake. Check her out. I think she looks like a living gargoyle. I have to wear gloves because she likes to bite a little bit. Her head turns black when she gets angry or scared. Otherwise she's all a rusty reddish-brown.

Attachments

• head.JPG
    head.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 104
  • sigb scales close.JPG
    sigb scales close.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 71
  • angry girl.JPG
    angry girl.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 117
  • peeohed.JPG
    peeohed.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 99
  • solomon.JPG
    solomon.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 93
Sain't said:
I got a new snake. Check her out. I think she looks like a living gargoyle. I have to wear gloves because she likes to bite a little bit. Her head turns black when she gets angry or scared. Otherwise she's all a rusty reddish-brown.
sweet looking snake, i like the photo of her being happy eating mickey(boom07)

Nice snake! Not too sure I would liek the whole biting thing though. I had an Eastern Hognose for a few years. Here is a pic when we got him. He was 16 inches when we got him, 32" when he was given to the City of Jacksonville's widlife department. He now educates kids on how nice snakes can be. Apparently, he is loving the attention.

Attachments

• Picture_0827small.JPG
    Picture_0827small.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for the replies. I think the only time she's happy is when she's eating. She just doesn't trust people. (doesnt help that she fell off the back of a chair the other day). I just had her out seconds ago. She wrapped around my arm at the elbow and lunged at my face. Hmmm. I probably won't keep her very long. (boom07)

This guy, on the other hand is about as tame as a newborn puppy.

Attachments

• clinton ad.JPG
    clinton ad.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 82
  • shededed.JPG
    shededed.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Sain't said:
She wrapped around my arm at the elbow and lunged at my face. Hmmm. I probably won't keep her very long. (boom07)
be careful (poke)

It will take time. My snake did the same thing when we got him. nice, warm cage, and 15 minutes a day out time, and it will work out.

Of cours,e if you found it in your back yard, then yeah. Not a good idea.

Personally, the whole striking at the face thing would earn a round trip ticket to the reptile store.

I actually bought her from a research facility for a good price. (just breeding snakes, not animal testing). These snakes aren't too easy to come by and I couldn't pass it up. I've been trying to be patient with her, but I don't know. Sometimes she's OK and just strikes with her mouth shut or not at all. Other times she looks me square in the eye and goes for my face. I'll risk a bit to the hand, but not in the face! I've already got a few people who want to buy her so they can breed her so I'll probably sell her soon.

Last edited:
Nice hoggie, btw! I want so bad to get a western, but did you know that they are mildly venomous? That's the only thing keeping me from getting one. The thing is, their big teeth (not even sure they're fangs) are in the back of thier mouth so they're not likely to stick you. Plus they hardly ever bite. But they have a mild venom designed to help them digest reptiles and amphibians (they like toads). In humans the venom can swell up your arm at worst. Check out the sadistic freak in this link (hah)

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Yeah, I saw that jackass' site when I got our Eastern. In 2 years, we never got struck by our cage raised hognose.. The good thing, is these snakes are kind of stupid. They strike with their mouths closed. I got head butted once, was like WTF. He amost head butted my wrist, but since they are pretty blind, he missed. Was fun to watch him try to catch the mice. Ended up having to stun them so he could catch them like the hard-core predator he is.

I am not sure where you are located, but there is a place in town that knows their s***, and they raise westerns for sale. Out here in FL, Easterns are everywhere, so not worth selling what is in your back yard.

Do not sweat the mild venom, did not worry us at all.

Back