My brake light comes on when I brake then goes off

Khoifather

:
Mazda Protege5
It started happening today after the fun run we had yesterday in Philly. I thought its because I had low brake fluid but turns out I still have plenty. We did so some pretty hard braking and stuff but what can be the problem?

I remember my mom's car had this problem and I just put more brake fluid in it and it went away but the brake fluid in my car is still alot.

Your brake light comes on when the brake fluid level gets low. See your owner's manual. Most likely your pads are low and need to be changed. If you are around 20-30K, it's your pads. Change 'em, and the level should go up, and the light go away.

You can visually check your brake fluid level under the hood. If you get someone to depress the brake pedal, you can see what it is dropping down to.

protejay5 said:
(hand) i hope you're joking. think about it: blinker fluid?

HEY now. thats a valid question....i've flushed my blinker fluid like 10 times since having my p5.....you can't neglect your cars essential fluids. (thumb) (poke)

Change pads now... trust the people that are saying this - I had my brake light do that s*** for 4 months - think about it
- thinner pad
- Press brakes hard and more fluid is needed to press pad against rotor
- fluid level will go low enough to trigger brake light
- let go off pedal, fluid rises back to the main reservoir, showing enough fluid levels and light goes away

cbcbd said:
Change pads now... trust the people that are saying this - I had my brake light do that s*** for 4 months - think about it
- thinner pad
- Press brakes hard and more fluid is needed to press pad against rotor
- fluid level will go low enough to trigger brake light
- let go off pedal, fluid rises back to the main reservoir, showing enough fluid levels and light goes away
my pads were fine! if u dont here ur squeaker then really dont worry about it! i went for about 2 or 3 months like that then i heard squeaker then i changed them!

Back