Mud Flaps

altaski

Heads up-Factory front mud flaps or the factory extension do not protect doors from chips. In only 20 miles on cinder covered snow I lost all my paint on the bottom edge of door, bottom 4 inches. So if you drive in the snow, put on a set of aftermarket big ones to extend down about 5 inches and out about 3 inches at bottom.

altaski said:
Heads up-Factory CX 7 front mud flaps or the factory extension do not protect doors from chips. In only 20 miles on cinder covered snow I lost all my paint on the bottom edge of door, bottom 4 inches. So if you drive in the snow, put on a set of aftermarket big ones to extend down about 5 inches and out about 3 inches at bottom.

mixmasterlove said:
Which 1s ?? The factory front mud flaps OR factory extension?? I have the front and rear on mine.

If you bought mudflaps for the front, then you added to the little tiny ones. Even these will not protect your doors.

I've been driving in snow/mud/gravel the entire week I've owned mine, about 1,000 KM thus-far and its just fine...

Installing mud flaps

koala said:
I've been driving in snow/mud/gravel the entire week I've owned mine, about 1,000 KM thus-far and its just fine...

Did your CX7 come with the flaps installed or did you install them yourself? Mine doesn't have them but I am considering ordering them online and I was curious how difficult they would be to install. I appreciate any help anybody out that can give...

Thanks!

Brad

Has anyone noticed on the inside of all the doors, down low, that road debris and water come in and you basically have to wash these areas too when you wash your car. I have factory mudflaps but they really don't do that much good. I guess it's just the design of the car body.

CX7andMiata said:
Did your CX7 come with the flaps installed or did you install them yourself? Mine doesn't have them but I am considering ordering them online and I was curious how difficult they would be to install. I appreciate any help anybody out that can give...

Thanks!

Brad

I installed them myself, takes about an hour. They come with good instructions.

CX-7 Bratt said:
Has anyone noticed on the inside of all the doors, down low, that road debris and water come in and you basically have to wash these areas too when you wash your car. I have factory mudflaps but they really don't do that much good. I guess it's just the design of the car body.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. The worst was after driving on muddy, sandy roads for most of a weekend, I must have had a couple of pounds of sand down in the doors.

Mamas Ride said:
I installed them myself, takes about an hour. They come with good instructions.
wow thats crazy, when i used to work for mazda, it took us about 5 min a car to do. but then again we did hundreds of them.

madeinmexico805 said:
wow thats crazy, when i used to work for mazda, it took us about 5 min a car to do. but then again we did hundreds of them.

Fronts aren't too bad, you just need to primer a small spot where the 2 way tape goes The rear on the other hand you need to remove the inner fender plastic... an hour was my best guess, didn't have the clock running. I'm sure you could slam em on in no time flat if you didn't give a crap how they come out:)

Mamas Ride said:
Fronts aren't too bad, you just need to primer a small spot where the 2 way tape goes The rear on the other hand you need to remove the inner fender plastic... an hour was my best guess, didn't have the clock running. I'm sure you could slam em on in no time flat if you didn't give a crap how they come out:)
actually you just remove the bottom screw,(i think its an 8mm) the you stick a small screwdriver where the little tab, just enough to pull the tab off with some needle nose pliers, and then you hold the plastic open and you should have enough room to stick the little u-nut in. then you repeat for the second little tab. then the bottom nut just needs to be slid in. hope this helps some of you

I did my own instllation

I installed the factory mud flaps.

The rear ones use 1/4 turn fasteners
The front use screw out fasteners.

Rear took about 30 minutes, including staring at them and going slow on the first one. You do not need to remove the tires or the fender wells to do these.

These pop off. The driver side rear have an extra box covering a portion of the well that you need to get loose so having that wheel off would have been quicker than fooling with it to get it off.

The fronts took longer as I did not want to damage car/stock covers.

The instructions tell you pull forward to release the clips after removing fasteners and screws. But you cannot as the rear portion of these are behind the fender sheet metal. Rotate enough to unhook the clip on the bottom then just pull out to pop cover off the clip on the side. Then use a screwdriver and push clip taps by inserting it behind fender from wheel well and pull with pliers. After learning that it took about 5 minutes to do the other side.

The originals do not have tape holding them. The new ones do. You do not need to paint the wheelwell where they go. Just clean really well and then go over it with alchohol. Leave strip covering the tape on until mud flap is mounted on both clips. Then flex the front edge forward and pull off cover strip with tweezers. Done..

Attachments

• CX7 002_1.jpg
    CX7 002_1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 515
  • CX7 003_2.jpg
    CX7 003_2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 448
  • CX7 004_2.jpg
    CX7 004_2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 466
  • CX7 005_2.jpg
    CX7 005_2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 439
  • CX7 006_2.jpg
    CX7 006_2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 488
there is a TSB for new door seals to stop this.

CX-7 Bratt said:

Back