msp trans/axel problem

SleepyMSP

:
2003.5 MSP
Ok all,

Been a while since i actually posted anything on this forum but now is the time.

So a few months ago driving down the street at a light the msp died and threw all the simptoms ofan lsd failure. So after droppig the tranny and finding a good lsd inside but a broken reverse gear lockout i think: hey look at that only a 30$ part to fix. Later noticed a cracked bearing on a shaft so off it went to a tranny shop to get new bearings installed. Once all is said and done i get the green light from the shop that the tranny is ready and as good as new, so off to the reinstall. Now here is the problem after i reassemble everything and start her up everything is fine but as soon as i take her out for a test the problem is still there.

Here are the simptoms:
-will move forward with very light throttle but any more and something breaks free and makes a terrible noise ( like grinding but smoother) behaves like neural until rpm drops
-more prominent while turning and reversing
-When initial problem presented driver side axle seal was ruined, leaking and the spring was in the LSD bearing

Now im thinking that it is an axle who's CV joint has sheared off causing the problem but the CV boots look fine.

Has anyone else had this problem before or could shed some light on my problem.

Thanks

P.s. my gf took a video that shows the problem that I will try to upload

Last edited:
So i managed to get the video uploaded. My gf thought she saw the drivers side wheel kick out when the noise happened but it didn't show up in the video.

Last edited:
Did you check all the teeth on the ring gear and the diff itself? It sounds like the diff has failed or the synchros are completely shot for 1st and reverse. Take it back to the shop and tell them it isn't fixed.

Did you check all the teeth on the ring gear and the diff itself? It sounds like the diff has failed or the synchros are completely shot for 1st and reverse. Take it back to the shop and tell them it isn't fixed.

There is no synchro for reverse.....

I suspect the diff has failed, it just failed internally where you couldn't see it.

When I pulled the tranny I checked out the diff: tooth wear, cracks, binding, etc... everything looked to be ok (see pic below) maybe I missed something but a busted LSD should present cracks in the housing separating the ring gear from the diff.

As for the synchros I don't think that is the problem as the issue happens in all gears (first/second/reverse...I didn't dare try anything else when it first happened). I checked the gears and synchros for tooth wear and to make sure that the synchros still "index" correctly. Also there has been on warning signs of a synchro issue with the transmission (grinding/stuck gears/etc...).

KZ90Ahr.jpg

(wishing now I took a lot of pics when the tranny was in pieces)

Thanks.

I've rebuilt the G15 trans more than 10 times probably. There is no synchro in reverse trust me.

Do you have any pics of the trans when it was apart?

I've rebuilt the G15 trans more than 10 times probably. There is no synchro in reverse trust me.

Do you have any pics of the trans when it was apart?

unfortunately not I was so convinced that I knew what the problem was that I didn't take any pics. But I remember not seeing any abuse on the gears/synchros or forks.

potential cause that I thought about was the clutch hub splines have stripped causing the input shaft to lose its grip when torque is applied to it, but again I have never heard this happen in the low whp application of this car. For reference I'm pushing less than 200 WHP (probably way less lol) and have an exedy stage 1 clutch and fidanza flywheel installed.

LSD. Mine did the same thing. Also, looked okay, couldn't turn by hand, but put it in a vice and cranked on it and sure enough, it rotated freely from the ring gear. That sucks for you.

LSD. Mine did the same thing. Also, looked okay, couldn't turn by hand, but put it in a vice and cranked on it and sure enough, it rotated freely from the ring gear. That sucks for you.

This could make a lot of sense. There was one thing that I remembered thinking was odd was that when I put the LSD back in the casing and spun it on the bearing that the ring gear wasn't completely flat (like the ring gear was warped or something) but I thought it was not abnormal because it lined up with everything and didn't bind on anything.

Well guess its time to drop the transmission again and start shopping for a diff.

what would people recommend get the a revised welded OEM diff or spring for the M-Factory LSD? from what I see the price on the M-Factory LSD is not that far off the welded LSD price.

I would go with mfactory..... though the latest revised oem lsd hasn't had any issues.

I'm in the same boat just took mine apart and same thing....looks good from the outside until you tap or wiggle it and the whole case comes off.SOB

isn't the mfactory garanteed for life? and rebuildable =) im kind of in the same boat you are, but not NEARLY as bad as that. mine had a shattered plate inside though the dif still difs and works, just doesnt lock. i was pretty lucky to not get any chunks in the gearset... hopefully you were too!

so just to let everyone know, I managed to pick up a MFactory from a local guy here and threw it all together. Finally after months of dicking around, the MSP is once again back on the road...now to fix the rest of her LOL

Back