MSP Stumble, and the Mazdaspeed Tantrum

check to see if your catalytic converter rattles or your resinator or muffler...last year my cat started blowing chunks and anytime i tried to boost itd stumble and misfire...i deleted the resinator and it was clogged with the cat's internals..now im running straight pipe and it ran cherry..till this other boost stumbling problem hit..i dont think its spark plugs

Yeah, I was wondering how to check for exhaust back pressure/clogging....??? Maybe I will just open a gap up after the J-pipe and see how it runs.
Only problem is that its intermittent... so i'd have to be trollin around loud for a while with it like that to diagnose, ha

Anyways, I thought that it might also be my half shaft, I know I have quite a bit of slop on the inner CV of my pass side. (think of 20 degrees of slop or so) The last owner put the smaller axel in there :( so I got the proper MSP one, puttn it in this weekend.

thinking of getting a ssafc and try tuning it to see if the ecu is the problem..swapped out o2 sensors today to see if that helps at all..will know by tommorow

im still running the stock injectors and fuel pump..testing my fuel lines on monday to see if its a fuel delivery problem. my injectors and pump are 10 years old so i guess its gonna need to get changed soon anyway

Hey stiki I pm'd you but your right just recent my res started to rattle I got one on order but as far as symptoms im just starting to get that cloggepd feeling..

yea..wen my cat blew chunks and clogged my resinator, i had a huge decreace in power, no positive boost, and a really hard time driving uphill..only because i was driving with it like that for awhile because i couldnt figure it out..lol

Well, i may have found the problem, I think it was my CV joint.... As weird as that sounds. Sucks because I changed 2 variables at the same time: I cleaned the filter and replaced the half shaft.

It has been fun to drive this car again... (alright)

Anyways, If it was the filter; I would think the problem would happen all the time, and It was intermittent. I may have rationalized the shudder to happen only when the CV was warmed up (anytime after sitting in the (warm) garage overnight, or a while after driving (cv warming itself up))

I am on day 3 of no shudder/stumble. and Will update you guys in a few days as well. If no stumble by the end of the week, I will tear open the CV joint to see if I can find any chatter marks etc. to confirm my results.

what?!..that could really be the problem?..like it would overspin or something from the torque wen the boost kicks in?

this thread has me lost now. You went from having what feels like misfiring and no smooth power delivery to replacing an axle...

^^^i'm with him haha...

It sounded like a small vacuum leak of some sort...possibly a leaking IM gasket...

how is a CV joint going to make your wideband go all willy nilly haha? although, i guess maybe it was just the filter...

Subbin. I'll have to grab a few logs from torque to compare. What manual listed the specs for the MAF and fuel trims?

LMAO, I think my o2 sensor must also be going out :( , because it is still all willy nilly

But the car drives great now....... And yes, the stumble/shudder could have been from either the filter or drive axel, [changed 2 variables at once :( ] I will Definitely have to open that drive shaft up to see if we can make some conclusions about it.
When it happened ---- It felt like the spark not jumping the gap (as when I had bad coils) but the AFR did not depict that.... and as I said before, I knew the half shaft (tripod CV joint) was sloppy before, and now I have the $ to fix it, so I did.

My conclusion: the culprit was either the intake filter, or CV joint... But I don't think that the filter was that bad, otherwise It would start pulling oil from the compressor seal....

Maybe I have stumbled upon another MSP phenomenon ?

The manual was the service manual for the protege/MSP/MP5

^...as it turns out it was my coilpacks...replace all those and wires and new copper plugs and im boosting 8psi now..now i just have a fuel cut issuse if i wot to long..so waiting on injectors, ssafc and some tuning to work that out!!!

^...as it turns out it was my coilpacks...replace all those and wires and new copper plugs and im boosting 8psi now..now i just have a fuel cut issuse if i wot to long..so waiting on injectors, ssafc and some tuning to work that out!!!

SSAFC should be all you need for 8psi (unless you have a larger turbo.) The stock injectors are good to around 220whp before they cause fuel cut.

SSAFC should be all you need for 8psi (unless you have a larger turbo.) The stock injectors are good to around 220whp before they cause fuel cut.

thanks..good to know..that'll save me 279 dollars on the injectors..since i cant find anyone with a ssafc for sale ima have to buy brand new for 400 :/..then ima get it dyno tuned and leave it at that..dont want to make it an unreliable daily beater

oh and my friend with a mazdaspeed miata said the deatschrewk injectors suck to

I heard that their injectors were good. I don't have first hand experiance though. There's no need for new injectors when used WRX injectors go for $100 or less!

Back