MSP running lean HELP!

MspJohn

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I have a 2003.5 MSP. It's had problems about the past 6 months or so with running lean, stalling out a few times on cold start, fouling plugs in a matter of a day and sputtering/hesitation in boost. I've replaced pretty much everything related to ignition. And also had cleaned injectors. My wideband harness that runs from o2 to box got ripped out of the socket from something so I took that harness out of the car, would that have anything to do with a lean fuel/air mix? Any help will be greatly appreciated

How do you know it's lean with no wideband? If it's a cel make sure o2 sensor is good

Cause before the harness got ripped out it was always running lean. Couldn't tell wha the AFR was cause the led's were somewhat burnt out. I've checked every vaccum line and no leaks. Getting really frustrated with it.

Just stock ECU. Planning on getting a Split Second AFC if I can get one off here for cheap.

There is one in the FS section in Russia, but the thread has had no activity from the OP since posting.

The P0171 means you may have a vacuum leak, and does not indicate the car is running lean. The stock tune is so rich on these cars I highly doubt you are actually running lean. An aftermarket WB has nothing to do with the stock ECU so that will not affect it.

The P0171 means you may have a vacuum leak, and does not indicate the car is running lean. The stock tune is so rich on these cars I highly doubt you are actually running lean. An aftermarket WB has nothing to do with the stock ECU so that will not affect it.
Where would I even start to look for the leak at? And should I do it with carb cleaner or equivalent while car is running?

Isn't 171 for the o2 sensor?

From what you described you had a narrowband which is useless. Get a wide band

Isn't 171 for the o2 sensor?

From what you described you had a narrowband which is useless. Get a wide band

Lol it's a ProSport junk ass wideband. Question on these cars how would I check the EGr to make sure it's functioning properly? And could a bad egr result in white burning my plugs in a day? I had forgot to mention earlier that when I am at idle and go to accelerate it bigs way down and I have to play with it just to get it going. Not too bad once it's warmed up but annoying as piss

He could have a faulty upstream O2 causing this problem...

I had the same problem on my MSP when I purchased it. Faulty upstream o2 sensor not reading correctly. Not saying that's what it is, but it's a possibility.

If the EGR is suspect, supply 12v to operate the prindle and see if the engine bogs down when the prindle is commanded open. If so, then it isn't your issue.

I'm going to assume you don't have a scan tool where you can view live data... Or if you do, what do your fuel trims look like? Do you have mode 6 and can view misfires? Are the o2 sensors switching like they should? I'd just pay a shop $50 to smoke test it if you don't have the knowledge or equipment to do it.

He could have a faulty upstream O2 causing this problem...

I had the same problem on my MSP when I purchased it. Faulty upstream o2 sensor not reading correctly. Not saying that's what it is, but it's a possibility.

If the EGR is suspect, supply 12v to operate the prindle and see if the engine bogs down when the prindle is commanded open. If so, then it isn't your issue.

I'm going to assume you don't have a scan tool where you can view live data... Or if you do, what do your fuel trims look like? Do you have mode 6 and can view misfires? Are the o2 sensors switching like they should? I'd just pay a shop $50 to smoke test it if you don't have the knowledge or equipment to do it.
No I don't have a tool. I had just replaced my upstream o2 and I had cleaned the egr valve a couple of months ago. When I had took it off it was quite rusty where it bonds to the head. I was thinking about replacing it anyways thy and the spring was hard to budge

Back