MSP Intake manifold ?

boubou22

:
2003 Mazdaspeed protege
Hi, I project to change my intake Manifold on my MSP, I read on this forum about it and I don't know which one choose. 626, MP3 or FS-ZE intake manifold ??. I take my car during the winter, so I need to keep the VICS. I want the most reliable while giving me a good performance gain.

Thanks

Last edited:
626 would be your best bet for performance. the mp3 manifold is the exact same as a regular protege with the exception that the vtcs are non-existent.

a lot of users got lost of power with the 626 , make yours research .. the best of those would be the oem one without the vtcs

Best intake manifold is a custom like the 505Zoom but those are not readily available unless part of a group buy. Removing the VTCS flaps in your stock intake may be the best bet. I can't comment on the 626 mani as I have never dyno'd a car personally with one but theoretically it would make sense losing low end with a long runner manifold.

IIRC 626 you lose low-end torque but gain hp at higer rpms. not huge #s either way.

It was a fad switch and that is all. But don't let that stop you from following the crowd. There is a dyno on here from a FL member that showed no gain at all. But all the 626ers expressed doubt about it while praising their switch. Taking out your flaps as stated is the way to go versus swapping for a 626.

Never dyno'd the 626 manifold, but I'd never switch to the big ass stocker unless it was hogged out and p&p

It was a fad switch and that is all. But don't let that stop you from following the crowd. There is a dyno on here from a FL member that showed no gain at all. But all the 626ers expressed doubt about it while praising their switch. Taking out your flaps as stated is the way to go versus swapping for a 626.

Regardless of performance gains it's just easier overall. It weighs less than the stock one and there are less complications with gaskets since there isn't an upper and lower, and it helps that it looks better.

what year 626 intake manifold are you running? Is the plenum volume bigger on the 626 manifold than the msp?

it's smaller, the 626 doesn't have the 2 sets of butterflys

I would like to have different feedback from those who have installed a 626 intake manifold please !

You will have better luck finding the results yourself than waiting on someone to comment.

Just search for yourself and quit being a lazy ass. All of the 626ers love their manifold swaps. Its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Only don't be dissapointed when you find out that you will not get a good performance gain. But hey it may look better to you and it weighs less. You'll be the king of the highways, AutoX course and streets. I wonder why Mazda didn't add when they built the MSP? Boy we got ******!

Yes I began my search yesterday and some really enjoy it and others seems to been disappointed... and I don't understand why you talk about poor gain and king of the highway ?

So it's up to you, it has mixed results. You can try it yourself or try to find a 505 mani that is proven to make more power.

I got a deal for a full ported and polished protege garage intake mani, but I have to use my car all year long so my speed need to start at very low temperature (-35C). On crossover website they said no issues with cold start. What do you think ?

no issues with that over priced 626 manifold in the cold, all kinds of 626's used to drive everyday in the same temperatures.

Back