MSP in QC winter

I just bought mine this year and i don't plan in driving it this winter.

I know the previous owner did drive it in the winter.

I am probably going to use my girlfriend's honda civic in the meantime.

that the thing, i just baught this nice car, i really dont want to drive a beater. Especially since winter in mtl is like 8 months.

I would just buy a beater around 1500$ that could last a couple of winters.

Not a bad investment if you want to keep your current car for a while. If you don't plan on keeping it for several years, just drive it in the snow and make sure you put anti rust treatments on it since you are just going to sell it eventually anyways.

The thing is, i dont want to drive a beater. im too good for that :p
but im not good enough to own 2 nice cars.

I put the anti rust on a month ago when i baught the car. And i will prolly do it again just before winter. i think it should be good.

I don't live in Canada, but I do live in the Colorado Rockies. I tried to drive my Ride in the snow 4 inches deep when I first got it. With the performance wheels and tires I was all over the road. I though it would be alright being a front wheel drive. The only way to drive during winter is to change out the wheels (16") and tires with more aggressive tread.

I also given all the rust problems you guys have up north, Ditto on additional rust protection.

I am with everyone else, my Ride pretty much stays parked safe and warm in the garage and I drive a SUV in the winter.

That's a choice you will have to make, either to drive a beater or drive your nice car. I would rather drive a beater.

Just make sure you get a good anti rust treatment on it, preferably the permanent anti rust treatment and not the ones that last only several years, it's going to be better for the car in the long term and gets a good protection on it for future winters. It will cost alot more obviously.

Last edited:
I drove it last year, but am going to try really hard to find a place to store her in the winter this year and just take a bus or something...or drive the Gf's crap-o-matic

I think im going to have to drive it this winter. And maybe next winter if i have some cash saved up i cant find a nice winter car.

My MSP has seen every Montreal winter with no issues. A good set of winter tires and your good to go. Wash it one in a while to remove the salt.

I drive mine every winter when I was in MTL, my car is even lowered with no ABS on the MP3.

Anti-Rust the car, get yourself a good set of winter tires and learn how to drive properly in snow or icy road, it will be fine.

the cheapest winter tire is better in the winter then any summer tire. Don't be a fool, don't put your or my life in danger, get winters, that what I say to people. As for the thread starter, a winter beater is the best way to go. From my experience, besides driving in snow, if there is any damage going to occur to the car, it always happens during the winter months for me.

That's a fact.

If something would happend to my msp during the winter i would be very upset. With all the elements in place, snow, ice, plows and so on, you never know what can happen.

Also, i was lucky enough to buy a winter beater that came with a set of winter and all-season tires.

Newf: did you know that starting this year there is now a law in quebec that forces people to have winter tires on their cars starting december 15th?

Well, not sure if a beater is the best. I mean, if your MSP is your project car, it'd be silly to driver during winter. If your MSP is your daily car like mine, I don't see why not to drive it in winter. Winter tires and rust proofing and you're good to go

I think is from Nov 15 th that all cars has to have winter tires on in QC. I could be wrong.....

OH..OK. Dec 15th is too late, isn't it? Most of the time, there is snowfall way before Mid Ded....

Back