MSP has no Power to anything and wire harness to main fuse box fried

harvey55

:
mazdaspeed protege
A few weeks ago my MSP lost power to everything. The locks didnt work, wouldn't start, etc. I took it to the shop and they said one of my relays was loose (Coolant Fan Relay) and they pushed it in and it started. A week or so goes by and the same issue occured, so I pushed the same relay which felt loose and waited about an hour and it started. Before I could get a new relay the car finally would not start for anything. I checked all the fuses and relays and they all appeared to be in good condition. Next I took the whole fuse box off to look at the wires. I noticed two wires completely fried and burned. Photos attached.

After looking at the wiring diagram I believe that one wire goes to the rear O2 sensor and the other goes to a noise filiter. (Not quite sure what the Noise Filter is). I am trying to figure out where to get one of these harnesses or just the connector? I have not been able find any online. Has anyone else had this issue or what else should I possibly check to make sure this doesn't happen again. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20151124_204658.jpg
    20151124_204658.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 20151124_204708.jpg
    20151124_204708.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 1,094
  • 20151129_191625.jpg
    20151129_191625.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 1,068
It's not uncommon to see discolored or melted connectors under the relays, but I have not noticed it on the harness itself like that. Easiest fix will probably be to replace the harness.

Yea that was what I was planning on doing. I am just having a hard time finding the just the connector of the Harness. I don't really want to pay $200+ on the entire harness.

You could also just crimp some new pins on the wires and install them into the existing connector.

You don't have to buy a new one for $200, you can get a used one at a junkyard

+1. It is WAY cheaper to go to the junkyard for the wire harness. Mazda doesn't really sell, just the single connectors. You have to buy the whole harness.

Back