Msp clunk fix

jbrewer4639

Contributor
:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
Ok I've been looking for awhile now and I can't even find the gb I bought my clunk fix from. Can someone show me pics of thiers or better yet give me some instuctions thanks. It's finally warm enough to get this done

I think it has been a while since the last GB on the clunk fix. There are pix somewhere, I have seen them, maybe in the older for sale ads. Someone will have them though, you may also find the clunk fix for sale from time to time

no lie.. I installed the clunk fit and still had the damn clunk. The clunk went away and has stayed away since the coil over install

this is one thing i never bought for my MSP... i couldn't bring myself to drop $200 on a two brackets that weren't guaranteed to work... i was going to, but i just had my mechanic re-stabilize the sway bar, and replace the bushings. had that done a year ago and haven't heard the clunk since.

if you describe the clunk well enough, and show a (good) mechanic the source of the problem (and clarify that just replacing the bushings will only fix it for a few months then it will act up again), they should be able to fix it for way cheaper! i think i paid $60 for him to fix the clunk, replace both headlight bulbs/license plate bulb and an oil change! not too bad, considering the "AXR Clunk Fix" was like $220 shipped, not including installation!

I think it has more to do with bad road surfaces than anything else. I had mine replaced in year 1 under warranty. I've only greased them twice since in rolling up 86K.

Heres my Clunk Fix from a GB
76411_1498712959700_1590420198_31213934_2610663_n.jpg

155439_1498712799696_1590420198_31213933_6317670_n.jpg

The key is to make sure you use some Permatex Grease when you install the new bushings. I put brand new bushings on mine and it still made noise untill I greased them. No more Noise!!!

I Had the clunk after the clunk fix too lol. It worked for a while but then came back. Grease is your friend, I have to regrease them once a year to keep the clunk away. I wish they had grease nipples!

Simply because I just got my 03.5 MSP a couple weeks ago and I have the ever annoying clunk in the trunk... what exactly is the rear sway bar doing that is causing it to bang into the bottom of the car? To grease the bushings... you have to take the sway bar assembly apart to get to the point where the bushing contacts the sway bar correct?

I don't think the sway bar actually hits the car, but to grease or replace the bushings all you have to do is unbolt the two bolts holding each bracket on the swaybar. I replaced the bushings with polyurethane and used marine grease on the front and rear and haven't had any clunking or squeaking ever since, that's a few months now.

I don't think the sway bar actually hits the car, but to grease or replace the bushings all you have to do is unbolt the two bolts holding each bracket on the swaybar. I replaced the bushings with polyurethane and used marine grease on the front and rear and haven't had any clunking or squeaking ever since, that's a few months now.

Interesting... I figured it was and that is the clunk sound. I am looking at ordering the red poly bushings I just have to find best price. Which bushing did you pick up?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that they don't hit the body. I only get a clunk when I go over a speed bump, when both wheels are translating. There should be no torque on the sway bar at that time just pure rotation. I noted that it doesn't make noise when I hit a speed bump with only one wheel, so I think that confirms it. Although I may be talking out my a$$ since I haven't gotten in there to replace them yet. I'm going with the Poly bushings with the grease fittings.

I'm guessing that they don't hit the body. I only get a clunk when I go over a speed bump, when both wheels are translating. There should be no torque on the sway bar at that time just pure rotation. I noted that it doesn't make noise when I hit a speed bump with only one wheel, so I think that confirms it. Although I may be talking out my a$$ since I haven't gotten in there to replace them yet. I'm going with the Poly bushings with the grease fittings.

Where have you seen the poly bushings with grease fittings?

idk! iv never heard any clunk! when my car was bone stock??? just make sure verything is tighted

Only MSPs and MP3s have the clunk due to the larger/stiffer sway bar. If you upgrade to it and let your bushings wear out you will have it too.

Back