MSCAI + TIP....Which Turbo Inlet is Best?

joelgas

:
2009 Mazdaspeed3
So I am looking to add a Turbo Inlet with my MSCAI. I have read through some past threads trying to find the best turbo inlet pipe to use with the MSCAI, and it seems to be the PG.

Is there anyone that thinks otherwise?

COBB! i have one though so that may be biased. but you cant go wrong with cobb or PG in my opinion. any of the aftermarket ones would be an upgrade though just because the stock inlet is so ridiculous. only problem with the cobb though is the metal pieces might come out of the inlet itself. the coupler for my injen cai actually melted onto the cobb and when i tried to pull it off, the metal piece came out with it, but it goes back in. i think the injen coupler is to blame though cus it shouldn't melt at all otherwise it doesn't belong under the hood

Thanks all! I think that I am going to go with the PG powder coated in black...try to keep it a little more stealth. Good recommendation by Kryosfactor.

I sent an email to PG about a silicone hose that is not included with the TIP from what I hear. Do you guys know the dimensions of this hose?

I got the silicone hose the very next day after the tip came in. They ship them separate for some reason, should be no biggie!

Thanks all! I think that I am going to go with the PG powder coated in black...try to keep it a little more stealth. Good recommendation by Kryosfactor.

I sent an email to PG about a silicone hose that is not included with the TIP from what I hear. Do you guys know the dimensions of this hose?

cp-e 3" seems to get the mostest coolest air to the inlet

The best TIP to go with the MSCAI (see sig below) or with any intake, IMHO, is the stock one. It is free. It does not need to be installed. There is no good evidence that any of the aftermarket TIP's actually produce any more power. Despite its odd shape, the stock TIP seems to flow at a higher air mass rate than the turbo is capable of handling, so one that "flows better" will not produce any measurable gain.

So, for appearances or bragging rights go with the TIP that you think best suits your personal preference. Until I see before and after dyno runs showing a gain, I'll put my money where true power can be made.

And don't tell me that the stock one leaks. They all will leak if you let the clamps get loose. I'm at 38,000 miles and with my mods am holding 18 psi in the higher gears to my shift point, 5,500-5,800 rpm.

Same thing with the stock BPV. Works like a charm. Holds boost great.

13.4 quarters at 106 on stock tires. 40-120 12.5 seconds.

The intake restrictions are in the stock air box, not aft of the MAF. The exhaust restrictions are upstream of the stock CBE. The stock BPV does not leak any more frequently than any of the aftermarket ones. Mods that help other cars do not necessarily produce more power on this platform. Target the known weaknesses.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback MSMS3. The reason I am installing a TIP is not for appearance. In fact, I ordered the powder coated black so it is harder to see. I also am not installing to get any remarkable power gains. Realistically I do not expect any. What I do expect though is the ability to moderate and lay down the power better and smoother. Almost everyone who has installed a TIP can claim that the engine runs and shifts smoother, and that the turbo spools quicker. For a little over a hundred bucks, this sounds like a great mod for me! Sure the car runs fine with the stocker, but Im sure even better with a cleaner, straighter TIP.

If you plan on upgrading the turbo at some point, get a 3" inlet. If not, go with the cheaper PG option.

IMO How can you say the stock inlet is fine ,Looks like someone stepped on it,,LOL I just installed my Cobb this morning to match my Cobb SRI LOVE IT..

No factual testing here other than whats been proven over the years on other engines.....

But... A larger volume TIP will allow the turbo to spin up faster than one having to draw from a flat or less volume TIP. Then when you add a restricted OEM filtering system in the mix, the OEM TIP will work just fine. It's when the intake track becomes freer breathing as well as a better flowing exhaust track, that a improvement like a larger TIP comes into play.

Also even if you don't gain 1 horse, you can still achieve quicker spool up and get into the meat of the boost pressures quicker than a pancaked TIP.

PG TP best bang for the buck and ease of install, check my posts for my thread reviewing the PG it may help you guys when installing. :) Just wait until you get it, I have not turned on my radio in a full week. i cant get enough. With my fujita and XS RFL BOV it sounds like a BT :)

When I was researching TIPs I came across information that showed either a Cobb TIP or PG TIP keeps intake temperatures 5-10 degrees cooler. A TIP may not jack up the peak power, but it makes more power available over a wider range, which makes the car more fun to drive.

I went with a Cobb TIP because it allows for a little flex with the MSCAI and I believe that it has a slightly smoother transition than the PG TIP. These are subtle differences that I chose mainly on principle rather than quantifiable performance.

So I think that two of the biggest differences between the PG and the Cobb is metal vs silicone, and the different sounds and volume of sound that they make. The Cobb will be louder with the silicone material than the PG TIP, and I did not want to increase the noise factor.

As for the air that passes through the pipes, Im sure that they are both very comparable. The silicone may keep the air coming into the turbo just fractionally cooler than the metal pipe, but because the air passes through the TIP so quickly, this would have a very minimal effect.

Zero fitment issues with the PG TIP mating with the MSCAI. Just takes a couple minutes to properly align before tightening everything down.

I have a Cobb SRI into a RPMC inlet, love it. Great sound, install was sort of a pain, but the instructions were great. I think it's the same idea as the PG inlet.

Back