Ms6 Valve Tap...Normal??

kev

I own a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6. I've owned the car for a few months now...however I popped the hood while the car was running today and heard a fairly noticable 'tapping' noise coming from the top LH side of the engine (near throttlebody). Kinda sounds like a valve tap but may be just a strong injector pulsing noise? Is this normal? I figured I'd ask you guys before bugging the dealer again.

kev

It may be. The tap goes away (or is overshadowed) when I hit the gas. It's only at idle and I can't hear it in the car. But is very noticable when the hood is open.

kev

thats the same side as the timing change. i hear theres problems with the tensioner and it makes this noise. get this checked out right away.

No it's coming from the LH side of the car (left as in sitting in the car, left). So it's opposite from the serp belt, its on the tranny side.

kev

i lost mine, but only time i would hear it is when i first start the car, it would make a nice loud rattle lol

thats the same side as the timing change. i hear theres problems with the tensioner and it makes this noise. get this checked out right away.

i lost mine, but only time i would hear it is when i first start the car, it would make a nice loud rattle lol

Drover:

Did this get a LITTLE quieter as the car warmed up???? I have the EXACT same sound - most noticible at cold starts. I would consider it a rattle or "ringing" sound.

M.

No it's coming from the LH side of the car (left as in sitting in the car, left). So it's opposite from the serp belt, its on the tranny side.

kev

kev:

It could be the high-pressure fuel pump for the direct injection. At least that is what Mazda will tell you.....

M.

its most likely the fuel pump. since it is high pressure it will make a clicking noise. your car is functioning normally.

it could be a faulty intake as well with loose valves in the intake for the intake manifold runners, also could be a high pressure fuel pump, or could even be a purge solenoid, take it to the dealer if its under waranty or pm me and i can check your waranty coverage

Back