MS6 Backfire question

Nice car..... looks like an Altered Customs FMIC kit.

There are actually 4 "tuning" options, most people don't like the latter 2. You already know of the AccessPort and the CP-E Standback, but there is also the Unichip and the Hypertech Sport Programmer.

As already stated, the AccessPort is only "married" to one car..... it's unlikely you have this, unless the AP was sold with the car (very doubtful). The Standback is a piggyback unit, and from my understanding it must be connected to control ECU, if not connected it reverts back to stock settings (I may be wrong on this).

The Unichip is more of what someone would refer to about the car being "chipped", it's likely if this is left on the car, and can only be tuned by a professional tuning shop that supports Unichip, however people refer to them as Unicrap and don't like them.

The last is the Hypertech, a very very basic tuning element, allows for a few changes by the using, but the maps can only be adjusted and are downloaded from Hypertech.

If you get the AccessPort it really won't be necessary to get the DashHawk, multiple people I know sell the DashHawk after getting the AP because it already shows them the info they want to see. The AP will also display the boost pressure for you AFAIK.

If you have all those mods and you get a tuning solution, an upgraded fuel pump is definitely recommended. You can shop on CP-E, Street Unit, and Protege Garage regarding an upgraded high pressure fuel pump.

Car looks nice man, have fun with it!!!

I have got to say I am truely jealous of how your speed6 came off the lot! It also looks like the top of the engine was painted as well, which makes the engine bay look a lot cleaner without the stock top mount. Gorgeous car, and nice color choice! :D

Nice car..... looks like an Altered Customs FMIC kit.

There are actually 4 "tuning" options, most people don't like the latter 2. You already know of the AccessPort and the CP-E Standback, but there is also the Unichip and the Hypertech Sport Programmer.

As already stated, the AccessPort is only "married" to one car..... it's unlikely you have this, unless the AP was sold with the car (very doubtful). The Standback is a piggyback unit, and from my understanding it must be connected to control ECU, if not connected it reverts back to stock settings (I may be wrong on this).

The Unichip is more of what someone would refer to about the car being "chipped", it's likely if this is left on the car, and can only be tuned by a professional tuning shop that supports Unichip, however people refer to them as Unicrap and don't like them.

The last is the Hypertech, a very very basic tuning element, allows for a few changes by the using, but the maps can only be adjusted and are downloaded from Hypertech.

If you get the AccessPort it really won't be necessary to get the DashHawk, multiple people I know sell the DashHawk after getting the AP because it already shows them the info they want to see. The AP will also display the boost pressure for you AFAIK.

If you have all those mods and you get a tuning solution, an upgraded fuel pump is definitely recommended. You can shop on CP-E, Street Unit, and Protege Garage regarding an upgraded high pressure fuel pump.

Car looks nice man, have fun with it!!!

I have got to say I am truely jealous of how your speed6 came off the lot! It also looks like the top of the engine was painted as well, which makes the engine bay look a lot cleaner without the stock top mount. Gorgeous car, and nice color choice! :D

Thanks for the Kind response.. I took the car on about a 400 mile trip this week end.. Car drives very nice on the road and very mild mannered until you need to pass or just want to scare the wife a little (pregnant wife so never did really open up). After more reading I think your right I'm going for the AP and skipping the DH. Another noob question.. My BOV I think is set to VTA, how do i verify that and is that the best open? Does the sound lessen when not set to VTA?

Also I noticed two red hoses that run to the front passenger side fender.. Any idea what that is?? almost looks like it could go to a remote oil filter?

Thanks for the Kind response.. I took the car on about a 400 mile trip this week end.. Car drives very nice on the road and very mild mannered until you need to pass or just want to scare the wife a little (pregnant wife so never did really open up). After more reading I think your right I'm going for the AP and skipping the DH. Another noob question.. My BOV I think is set to VTA, how do i verify that and is that the best open? Does the sound lessen when not set to VTA?

Unless you've got a MAP setup or an upstream MAF having the BOV set to VTA is actually worse for our cars. They're best in recirculation mode, though I have heard of some people running the 50/50 setting with the turbosmart BOV.

Running in VTA without the MAP or upstream MAF will cause you to run rich, as the air/fuel ratio gets messed up.

Disadvantages
In the case where a mass airflow sensor is used and must be located prior to the blowoff valve, the engine control unit (ECU) will meter out excess fuel because the atmospherically vented air is not subtracted from the intake charge measurements. The engine then briefly operates with a fuel-rich mixture after each valve actuation.
The rich mixing can lead to hesitation or even stalling of the engine when the throttle is closed, a situation that worsens with higher boost pressures. Occasional events of this type may be only a nuisance, but frequent events can eventually foul the spark plugs and destroy the catalytic converter, as the inefficiently combusted fuel produces soot (excess carbon) and unburned fuel in the exhaust flow can produce soot in the converter and drive the converter beyond its normal operating temperature range.
One way to mitigate the problem is to reduce the boost pressure, which reduces the required venting volume and yields less charge over-calculation by the ECU. The air can also be recirculated back into the intake, a typical stock setup for cars with an upstream MAF sensor. The situation can also be corrected by switching the fuel metering system over to a manifold absolute pressure sensor, a conversion that usually requires a compatible aftermarket ECU or piggy-back fuel controller. The MAP sensor monitors the absolute pressure in the manifold at all times and will correctly detect the change that occurs when the valve vents, allowing the ECU to reduce fuel metering accordingly

Nice pickup. I find it very peculiar to find a speed 6 fully bolted for sale with only 6400 miles. You would think it would be parted out. Love the powdercoating and wheels though.

Anyway as others have mentioned I would get some type of gauge where you can monitor whats going on. I wouldn't go beating too hard on the car until you see what your engine is going.

Hey man, are you located in NM? If so, I kinda know the guy who owned it. Never met him but know people who still know him and stuff. He used to have a GT30 turbo in there and parted that out along with some other stuff. But I'm not sure if that's his car just yet. I know he had that many miles on it.

Hey man, are you located in NM? If so, I kinda know the guy who owned it. Never met him but know people who still know him and stuff. He used to have a GT30 turbo in there and parted that out along with some other stuff. But I'm not sure if that's his car just yet. I know he had that many miles on it.

Yea man picked up the car at University Mazda off the 25.

Haha cool. Yeah, me and a couple of ms6 buddies last night were wondering who bought his ms6. Pretty cool. We were planning on doing a meet sometime once my other buddy gets his build done with. The guys at University Mazda are pretty cool, I got my car worked on over there when I had an oil leak and I had mods on my car then.

Haha cool. Yeah, me and a couple of ms6 buddies last night were wondering who bought his ms6. Pretty cool. We were planning on doing a meet sometime once my other buddy gets his build done with. The guys at University Mazda are pretty cool, I got my car worked on over there when I had an oil leak and I had mods on my car then.

Thats wild bro LOL.. So has this thing been beat to s***?? Maybe I don't want to know!! I figured I would come across someone that new the prior owner, there isnt a lot of MS6/3 out here in NM.

Haha, no it actually hasnt been beat to s***. It's been well taken care of. You could tell he hardly ever drove it because of the low milage. The last owner was an Abq cop btw and he now owns an SS2 Camaro. There are a few ms3's and ms6's out here. So far I know about 6 of them and like 3 with ms3's

OK that make sense I was told the guy traded up for a V8, Camaro/Mustang I just couldn't remember. I was told about the car from the owner of that Mazda dealership "Randy" Hell of nice guy, and seems to know a good amount about the MS6. The car seemed to be some one's baby, maybe just a weekend toy. If you Guy's ever meet up let me know I would like to check out your rides.

Also I noticed two red hoses that run to the front passenger side fender.. Any idea what that is?? almost looks like it could go to a remote oil filter?

That sounds like an oil catch can, have to have some pictures to confirm exactly what it is though.

We can tell you everything you need to know about that car in the right place. That is not the altered customs kit. It is the 3rd of the original kits that they completely stole their ideas from and wouldn't own up to. That car has been babied like you wouldn't believe.

You bought a very well taken care of car mile high!

AFAIK, it's already got most the needed mods, like oil catch can, diff mounts, bsd, etc etc. Super clean and healthy. And comes with custom fmic as well :)

I'm albuquerque too. I'll pm you my number. We've got quite a decent ms6 scene here :)

Back