MS6 Amp location tip

If you're installing an amp (or amps) in your mazdaspeed 6, I recommend checking to see if it will fit between the back of the rear seat and the extra brace the mazdaspeed has between the seat and the trunk.
(You will have to remove the rear panel of the trunk liner at least for the installation)

I just installed one of my Alpine V-12's yesterday and it fit perfectly in that space. I used 1/2" MDF as a mounting board. If you pull back on the edge of the fabric covering the back of the seat, you will see several holes in the seats metal frame. I used anchor screws to attach the mounting board to these holes, then with the seat folded back up I positioned the amp through the trunk and marked the mounting holes. The mount seems sturdy enough, but I padded the brace with foam packing sheet just in case.

Now I can still fold down the seats and use the pass-through, or I could reinstall the trunk liner and there would be no visible signs anywhere of an aftermarket amp.

i got some pics of mine. i'll try to post em up. prolly tommorrow.
they're were pics on here but who knows were they went.

Think that you'll run into any overheat issues with the amp enclosed in that space with liner placed back in to hide everything? It certainly sounds like a great mounting location though for a nice clean install.

i didnt cover mine up. no overheat problems here.

heres some crappy phone pics but you get the drift.
Photo0134.jpg

Photo0135.jpg

Nice work! Mine is set up almost exactly the same for the amp install, however, I have dual 12's in a closed box in front of it. I was real worried about too much heat, but I have never had a problem, and it's been in the car from day one!! I'll try and post some pics soon too so you can see how clean it comes out using a board across the brace. I still have the trunk full of crap from this summer.

thanks. do you have problems with your box sliding around. when i open the trunk its always in a different spot. gotta get that thing mounted

thanks. do you have problems with your box sliding around. when i open the trunk its always in a different spot. gotta get that thing mounted

Not in mine. I always have my golf clubs in the car, which sit in front of the box itself prevent it from tipping over or sliding forward. I usually wedge a football inbetween the box and the clubs to prevent anything from poking the subs. I will try and post a pic of what it looks like....totally ghetto!

My ghetto setup works, but even before I put all that crap back there, it didn't slide much at all. Much different having a dual 12 enclosure back there though. Not much room for it to slide anyway. I like you're idea of mounting tabs. Easy to install and remove if need be. That worked well in my Explorer. I just used 2 "L" shaped tabs on each side of the box and secured it to the floor.

My ghetto setup works, but even before I put all that crap back there, it didn't slide much at all. Much different having a dual 12 enclosure back there though. Not much room for it to slide anyway. I like you're idea of mounting tabs. Easy to install and remove if need be. That worked well in my Explorer. I just used 2 "L" shaped tabs on each side of the box and secured it to the floor.

yeah my lil singel ten just flops around back there. i often find it up against the trunk lid from accelerating.

so i just layed it face up against the lid. i'll mount it this summer like you said with the L brackets. but maybe use a wing nut so its easily removed.

yeah my lil singel ten just flops around back there. i often find it up against the trunk lid from accelerating.

so i just layed it face up against the lid. i'll mount it this summer like you said with the L brackets. but maybe use a wing nut so its easily removed.

That's a great idea with the wing nut. Do you have a noticeable sound difference with the speaker facing up? I played around with my setup, facing the seat, sitting up, and facing the rear. I have found that facing the rear gives the best sound quality. If I didn't get such a great deal on my dual 12 setup, I would have gone with a single sub. Mine's not there so everyone can hear me from a mile away, I can't stand that. Unless you are actually in the car, you can't really tell I have anything in there. Sounds sick in the car, but it's not an annoying system that everyone can hear.

yeah i've out grown the big bass thing myself. and i've had some hard core setups before that could blur your vision.
it sound best as far as output and clarity facing backward. facing up seems to give better low extension but gets muddy when the music gets complicated.
playing it to loud just seems to hammer the factory sub anyway. poor lil guy, back there gettin knocked around.

yeah i've out grown the big bass thing myself. and i've had some hard core setups before that could blur your vision.
it sound best as far as output and clarity facing backward. facing up seems to give better low extension but gets muddy when the music gets complicated.
playing it to loud just seems to hammer the factory sub anyway. poor lil guy, back there gettin knocked around.

Haha! Lol, I agree with all the above! I have my gains turned way down, and I dont go above a volume of around 18, so it all stays nice and clear, and not harsh on the factory speakers!

i would like a sub with better sound quality. i'm runnin a kicker comp VR, not exactly pro level sub.

what are you runnin?

I have a full Kenwood setup, both speakers and amp. I have had good experiences with Kenwood. Definitely not pro level either, but does the job very well. I was running Rockford Punch 10's in my Explorer, but surprisingly found the Kenwoods hit cleaner. A buddy of mine ran some Kicker Comps in his car and they were pretty good. He was going for pure loudness, not my style, but they did slam. The best sound I have heard from any of my buddies has been some JL W7's. Punchy, tight, and really clean with extended lows. Cost a boatload, but he was working for an audio shop and was looking to compete.

i like the w7's but they're pretty heavy. i'm trying to keep the weight down. infinitiy has a line up with neodyium magnets which are very light weight. two of those in a box made of poplar would be a really light weight system.
prolly under forty pounds. my one ten in box weighs 37 pounds.

Back