MS3 or 3 w/HIBOOST Kit!!!

sillyMSP187

:
2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege
Wus up all I am gonna make the switch from MSP to a 3 and get the hiboost kit but with the new MS3 coming out in a few months (hopefully) I am stuck and wanna make best choice.I know mazda put alot of time in the making of the MS3 and it be less of a hasle cause I know that just the hiboost kit isnt all Id need for the 3.Warranty wont be a big issue for me on the regular 3 so with that said which one should I honestly go with...any info/help will be greatly appreciated..thnx

i'm gonna say IN here, just cuz about the time it's available, i should have about 18,000 miles on my car, and it'll be less than a year old

hard to say if i should trade in/up, or get the hiboost kit

I'd say mazda 3 and boost it. only because I see that modding and tunning the engine in the MS3(MS6) is going to be a pain I believe.

Think cWill...
I don't know much about Protege's but he has a non-MSP, and he's made it the fastest protege known :)

Am I incorrect?

Well that's my .02 :)
mz3 + boost, hiboost to be specific :)

I'd say go with the Hiboost Turbo kit..........but the MS3 will have the complete pakage. Turbo 2.3L engine, Sport Tuned Suspension, Larger Brakes, (Interior) Seating, LSD, 6-speed tranny, 18's, New Front Fascia, etc......and of course an Authentic Mazdaspeed vehicle. If you go with the basic Mazda3 w/Hiboost kit + Forged Motor.......thats all u will be (fast in a straight line). Dont get me wrong, you will be much faster than the MS3........but not have the "Complete Package".

And if your going to trade-in your MSP, why not spend another $4k and get the MS3???

Unless all u care about is speed like me........(thumb)

I think the kicker is going to be a 6-speed. I drove a v-dub 20th anaversary GTI with the 6 speed. They make a very nice difference.

Now, if the price difference is such that you could hi-boost it, get the LSD and 6-speed tranny from the MS3 for less than the price difference between the cars- go with the hiboost kit.

nealric said:
I think the kicker is going to be a 6-speed. I drove a v-dub 20th anaversary GTI with the 6 speed. They make a very nice difference.

Now, if the price difference is such that you could hi-boost it, get the LSD and 6-speed tranny from the MS3 for less than the price difference between the cars- go with the hiboost kit.

Not even close.......

A Mazda3 hatch with the 2.3L motor will set you back around $18-$19k........The new Mazdaspeed3 should be close to $24k. The Hiboost kit alone! is $3800 without install.......u do the math.

IF the speed3 is automatic as stated in other threads. Boost a manual 2.3 3 and enjoy insane power.

Id say I would go with the mazdaspeed w\out question. Reason = Warranty.

Other than that, yeah you get a bunch of little differences between a mazda3 w\ hiboost, but for me the fact that if something happens then I have recourse through mazda, (may not be the best, but better than nothing at all)

sillyMSP187 said:
Wus up all I am gonna make the switch from MSP to a 3 and get the hiboost kit but with the new MS3 coming out in a few months (hopefully) I am stuck and wanna make best choice.I know mazda put alot of time in the making of the MS3 and it be less of a hasle cause I know that just the hiboost kit isnt all Id need for the 3.Warranty wont be a big issue for me on the regular 3 so with that said which one should I honestly go with...any info/help will be greatly appreciated..thnx
2 Words...1 Question
Now OR Later?

WetsuitxNinja said:

Other than that, yeah you get a bunch of little differences between a mazda3 w\ hiboost, but for me the fact that if something happens then I have recourse through mazda, (may not be the best, but better than nothing at all)

Good point. But it will probably be hard for the owner not to mod the speed3.

i think that's the key thing. no matter what, if you mod, your gonna mod what you have. if it's a 3 or a speed3, you are still gonna spend money on it. the good thing about the base 3, is you can do it as you can. not have to worry about affording the monthly payments and down of a new car.

wanna start with the turbo, save up a bit and do it. then do little things in the mean time (suspension?). then when the speed is out, look at the cost of the tranny swap and do that in a year or so.

the key is you can spread it out if you want and give that "mod bug" the fix it needs. the speed, with it's new DISI, will have road blocks in tuning for a year or so at least, by then you're HiBoost 3 could be well into 400+ if you want with an LSD.

just my thoughts, but i don't do warranty, so that doesn't even factor in my head.

WetsuitxNinja said:

I hear what your sayin here...but theres alot of things that dealerships like to !@#$ you for if you know what I mean.

True, But you can always do reversible mods so if disaster does strike, a few bolts and you are back to warranty status. Many people dont venture too far from stock, ie: Intake, exhaust, rims etc... I have to keep my mod bug under a certain level of control. Im so god damn paronoid.

MrTea said:
i think that's the key thing. no matter what, if you mod, your gonna mod what you have. if it's a 3 or a speed3, you are still gonna spend money on it. the good thing about the base 3, is you can do it as you can. not have to worry about affording the monthly payments and down of a new car.

wanna start with the turbo, save up a bit and do it. then do little things in the mean time (suspension?). then when the speed is out, look at the cost of the tranny swap and do that in a year or so.

the key is you can spread it out if you want and give that "mod bug" the fix it needs. the speed, with it's new DISI, will have road blocks in tuning for a year or so at least, by then you're HiBoost 3 could be well into 400+ if you want with an LSD.

just my thoughts, but i don't do warranty, so that doesn't even factor in my head.

You make a good point here and who can tell as of now if the MS3 is gonna have any problems... by the way if the MS3 is gonna be practically the same as the MS6 will it have that cooling problem I saw on a couple of threads or is that just a rumor?

The main reason why Im considering the MZ3 is cause Id get the pride of building a little rocket instead of starting with one but if the MS3 is on the path that I'm gonna travel then why not get a head start. but thats just where my confusion begins!(eyeballs)

if you want all out power a normal mazda3 with a built engine and the Hiboost would be the way to go.
Once you max out the fuel system of the MS3 you are pretty much done unless you can find someone that knows how to tune a Direct injection engine (like bullydog or banks).

i think the key thing, is the speed isn't that much better than the 3 other than the engine. it's all stuff you can do on your own with new springs/coilovers and bracing. i KNOW i can outperform a speed6 in my reg. 6, both in a straight line and on the track, and i was able to spread it out over 2 years to get to that this point with only more room to go.

Back