MS3 Front End Clunk

I had the dealer do it and the car is now noise and rattle free from underneath. Was about $230 which is a bit pricey

Ouch! That sure is pricey since the bushings are only $30. They charged you $200 in labor which is crazy since this job is simple when using a lift.

I am still waiting for the temps to raise a bit before I replace mine in my garage so I hear you on that one.

I want to do this myself. I bought the bushings last year and was going to attack it. But a couple of those bolts are under so much tourqe you'll need a impact and compressor to get them off. Then, how hard is it going to be to get them back on to the right spec tourqe?

I really want to do this myself, but not sure if it's possible without the correct tools... has anyone replaced the swaybar (front) with just ramps and hand tools?

Called Mazda and they said they'd do it for $125. So I'm going that route. Plus having the bushings already, that'll knock off like 30-40 dollars.

Ok, so I had it done today at 845am. Took about 1-1/2 hours. Cost with tax $105.

Clunk is now gone!!! I do however, now notice the rear more now. I'll do a progressive bar for that though... or maybe jborne... another topic ;-)

So I want to apologize now for all the post that I will be doing about this. Just want to spread the word that I feel this is "extremely" common with our cars.

thx for posting that vid, its almost the same thump im getting on my car. What dealer did you go to in CT?

Just another thanks for that vid. I was searching specifically for someone having the same sound and issues and that nailed it. I'll be lining this up soon here in North Carolina.

This thread gives me hope. I have a bad clunk... I checked the endlinks and they were tight... I'm hoping its the bushings. I'll probably just replace with OEM since theyre pretty cheap.

Do it! I replaced the rear bushings with stock bushings. So funny to me. Everyone has this issue. The car feels like a new car with just the bushings replaced :)

So happy right now.

I just replaced my FSB bushings in my garage and have some tips that helped me since all of the instructions I have found focus on installations with a lift.

1. Raise the front of your car as high as you can for better access.

2. Remove the brace right behind the sub frame as shown in the following pic.

FSBBushingInstall2.jpg

This brace is removed with 5 bolts.

3. With just the front of the car up in the air, the sub frame doesn't hang the way you need it to. I used a ratchet extension to wedge between the back of the sub frame and the frame of the car as shown in the pic below.

FSBBushingInstall1.jpg

As you can see, the Sway Bar bolts are pretty easy to get to in this configuration.

With these tips, your bushing replacement or FSB installation should go a little smoother.

Last edited:
Thanks for the "how-to"

One question, did you guys who installed new factory bushings grease them? Were the oem bushings greased?

Can the same problem happen to the rear? I have a nasty bang/clank when going over speedbumps in the right rear. I got pissed and got some BC coilovers installed and the noise is still there >.<

Yup! You have a bad endlink. They cost like $30 each to replace and they go bad all of the time. I actually have a bad one right now and it is pretty easy to diagnose. All you have to do is get under your car and hit your rear sway bar on each side. The side the rattles has the bad link. Good luck.

Well, I changed mine out tonight. There is a lot less noise, but still a little knocking coming from the driver's side. I'm hoping it's a bad endlink...

Overall though, a lot of my noise did go away with the new bushings!

I wanted to replace my front sway bushings with a Prothane type, do you guys know if the spacing between the bushing bracket bolt holes is 2" or 2 5/8"??? It'll matter on the part number that I have to order, also getting mine with a greasable fitting to make it easier to regrease too. Or does anyone have a part number off hand of a greasble urethane front sway bushing with the bracket?

Well, I changed mine out tonight. There is a lot less noise, but still a little knocking coming from the driver's side. I'm hoping it's a bad endlink...

Overall though, a lot of my noise did go away with the new bushings!

I had the same result. It got quieter and the steering got tighter but still some knocking. I changed my endlinks and it got even quieter but still there. I just ordered a new LCA because I'm thinking it may be the ball joint. We'll see what happens when I replace it.

Last edited:
Well, the noise is still there with new LCA and balljoint.

Up next, top hats.

Latest posts

Back