MS3 Engine blow up?

ALGiD

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
So I recently got a MS3 and started modding, I currently have a SURE Aeros SRI, Turbosmart BOV, and SURE RMM. I was wondering at what point will I absolutely need to get a new fuel pump? I am getting an AP to monitor the fuel situation but in the time being what should I look out for?

TIP, Racepipe or a full exhaust haven't decided yet, TMIC, FMIC, and that about does it as far as engine mods besides new fuel pump if necessary.

Well i am currently rebuilding my fuel pump and my mods are in my Sig. im not running anything crazy.....some pumps will be fine and some wont, you never now really until you see the signs, and hopefully you see the signs before its to late. from what i have been told and what i understand if your gonna start bumping up the boost your more likely to see more demand on the pump which may lead to stock pump failure, and if your running more boost you should really upgrade your pump anyway just to be safe.

From what I have read on here, if you're fully bolted, you need a fuel pump. Downpipe, FMIC, Race pipe, CAI...etc. You will also need the Ap (which you are getting). So, yes, a fuel pump upgrade would be in order, I think.

Every car is different, some cars need it after an intake and some can handle being fullt bolted until they need the new internals. It is good that you are getting an ap to monitor, that way you can see for sure if you need to. It seems that most of the scare comes with an upgraded downpipe tho.

So I recently got a MS3 and started modding, I currently have a SURE Aeros SRI, Turbosmart BOV, and SURE RMM. I was wondering at what point will I absolutely need to get a new fuel pump? I am getting an AP to monitor the fuel situation but in the time being what should I look out for?

When fuel pressure dips below, what is it? 1500 psi?

^ Yep, 1600-1700 is the norm. Most guys fuel psi drops into the hundreds when it cant keep up.

So far mine is quite healthy. But that's why I love my Dashhawk. I can monitor my progress while I monitor it's demise mod-by-mod. :D

Last edited:
Might want to stay away from manual or aftermarket electronic boost controllers. There are serious issues with using them on our cars. The reference to higher boost was regarding aftermarket ECU tuning, such as Access Port or Hypertech, which reprogram or reflash the ECU for modestly higher boost under controlled circumstances that manual controllers lack. You really should not consider more that 18 psi boost on our stock K04 turbo.

Also, increasing air flow by aftermarket intake and free flowing bigger downipipe and race pipe mods typically raise boost about 2 psi even on the stock ECU.

Do some searching and reading. Do your homework. Don't try to run out and put a bunch of mods on your car without researching carefully. The question you asked here is a good start.

The only way you'll really know if your fuel pump can handle your mods is if you have some monitoring scan tool or other monitoring device to give you accurate measurements of high pressure fuel pump pressure.

Last edited:
Back