MS3 becoming a gas guzzler?

BlackJack

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT (gone :()
I recently changed my own oil after 3k miles since stupid Mazda stealership was saying it was gonna be a week before they can do mine.

That's all I did for the tune up, besides installing new, better spark plugs. Much recently after 4.5k miles, I noticed that the MPG has been from ~27 to now, ~22. I have been driving spiritly with not alot of boost in it.

Did I forget something during the tune up or?

Check oil level and put the stock plugs back in, most people have realized the stock plugs in this car are fine. Probably either crappy plugs or wrong gapping.s. Some here like to run the cheap copper core plugs and change them more often, which is probably what I will do. The long life plugs and all that exotic stiff definetly make plugs last a very long time, but just plain old copper is still the best conductor. At last I read about plugs that's my take. Anyway.
Tom

Why are you changing your plugs already? Do you have more the 40k miles? The stock plugs are the best you can get, so if you didn't go with stock then you have downgraded your plugs.

hell, my car is bone stock with only 1800 miles and i only average around 220 miles per tank :( My driving is not slow but not balls to the walls either. Highway though is fantastic.

Officially

To be called a Gas Guzzler your car has to give less than 10 MPG. That is the official title.
Live and learn everyday.

I swear my gas tank has a hole in it. mabe if i get out of boost more often that should help.

My gas mileage is no worse than my focus's. Dunno what you guys are all complaining about.

CTGrey02 said:
My gas mileage is no worse than my focus's. Dunno what you guys are all complaining about.

LOL really my 3 hatch is n/a and it gets like 220-250 mi per full tank this little thing does tend to go threw gas fairly quick though...

In the cold months my car was getting 22mpg average. Now in the middle of summer I am getting 28mpg. Dunno if it's the fuel mixture or the temperature that is helping me.

BHOUST528 said:
LOL really my 3 hatch is n/a and it gets like 220-250 mi per full tank this little thing does tend to go threw gas fairly quick though...

I have to beat my Focus like it owes me money to drive the way I do. With the speed3 I barely touch the gas pedal. More often than not I keep it in 6th.. even on back roads. I've had it in 6th below 40 MPH. The car still has enough torque to do the speed limit and such.

i get about 300 miles out of a tank.. and i dont think ive gone a full tank without having fun with the car.. im not complaining.

What the hell I get like 270 if I am really easy on it but I am city driving 90% the time to patients homes.

I bet on the freeway I could get that sort of milage but not with mostly city.

Actually...

nonopr said:
To be called a Gas Guzzler your car has to give less than 10 MPG. That is the official title.
Live and learn everyday.

If you're talking about the United States, that's incorrect.

GAS GUZZLER TAX
Unadjusted MPG (combined)*

Tax
at least 22.5
No tax
at least 21.5, but less than 22.5
$1000
at least 20.5, but less than 21.5
$1300
at least 19.5, but less than 20.5
$1700
at least 18.5, but less than 19.5
$2100
at least 17.5, but less than 18.5
$2600
at least 16.5, but less than 17.5
$3000
at least 15.5, but less than 16.5
$3700
at least 14.5, but less than 15.5
$4500
at least 13.5, but less than 14.5
$5400
at least 12.5, but less than 13.5
$6400
less than 12.5
$7700

* The combined fuel economy MPG value (55% city, 45% highway) is used to determine tax liability. The MPG value is also adjusted slightly to account for differences in test procedures made since the base year, but it is not adjusted for in-use short fall. The unadjusted combined MPG of a vehicle can be approximated from the city and highway values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide and on this website by the following equation:

(1/(.495/City MPG + .351/Highway MPG)) + .15

Since this is an approximate calculation, the actual gas guzzler tax may be off by one tax bracket.

-cited from fueleconomy.gov

I get about 280 miles/ tank if I'm lucky. >_<

You wanna talk gas guzzler? Still getting my Haltech dialed in, but when your AFRS are constantly in the 11-12 range, I get about 200Km (~150mi?) to a tank...

I have been getting around 200 miles on a tank. I have been trying to take acceleration real easy the last few tanks but I don't get any farther on a fill up. It seems like my MPG went down after my first oil change. I was getting around 250 before and that was when I was driving it a lot harder. After a fill up it always says estimated miles left 350 and it makes me want to cry :(

Kosh said:
I have been getting around 200 miles on a tank. I have been trying to take acceleration real easy the last few tanks but I don't get any farther on a fill up. It seems like my MPG went down after my first oil change. I was getting around 250 before and that was when I was driving it a lot harder. After a fill up it always says estimated miles left 350 and it makes me want to cry :(

200?!? o_O Two words for ya = cruise control! keke

That's strange though because my ETM always says 380 something. I think it even said 407 at one point after a fill-up. :confused:

Hikaru9 said:
200?!? o_O Two words for ya = cruise control! keke

That's strange though because my ETM always says 380 something. I think it even said 407 at one point after a fill-up. :confused:

Ya I know what you mean, I tried that today, going about 65 in 6th gear in cruise control my average mpg was in the 40's :)

In about a week I'm going to start saving a s*** ton on gas. Moving back to the CNN Center which is right next to the train station (MARTA is SMARTA! (jerkit)). I live about a mile from a Marta station and with work giving out free passes it would be stupid not to ride. Filling up one a month will be a lot better than once a week :)

Latest posts

Back