MPT (Miles Per Tank)

All I know is that I can get from Tulsa, OK to Dallas, Tx which normally a 4.5 hr drive in 3.5 hrs going 120 mph for about half the way.

EVERYONE CHANGE YOUR PLUGS! if you haven't in atleast 15k miles, do it! WOW the difference. my mileage has been slowly getting worse, and i didn't evne think aobu tit, but I've never change my plugs at 35k. Haven't evneput a full tank through yet, but looks like I'll be getting atleast 50more per tank. Not bad for $8. PLUS my car runs smooth again. not that I ever noticed much that it didn't, but I notice how much smoother it once was now. those getting knocking and thus using higher octane, this goes especially for you.

Poseur said:
EVERYONE CHANGE YOUR PLUGS! if you haven't in atleast 15k miles, do it! WOW the difference. my mileage has been slowly getting worse, and i didn't evne think aobu tit, but I've never change my plugs at 35k. Haven't evneput a full tank through yet, but looks like I'll be getting atleast 50more per tank. Not bad for $8. PLUS my car runs smooth again. not that I ever noticed much that it didn't, but I notice how much smoother it once was now. those getting knocking and thus using higher octane, this goes especially for you.

He's 100% correct. I changed my plugs last week and idle became glass-smooth and there was a good bump in mileage.

If you run higher than 87 octane on a nearly stock (this means I/E/H) normally aspirated FS-DE, you're wasting gas and money, while at the same time hurting your gas mileage. Higher octane fuel takes more pressure/heat to burn that regular gas, so in a normal, 130-150 hp protege, it's just spraying in and not getting burned, resulting in power and mileage loss, and eventually it'll eat away at your cat.

How are ya'll getting such insane gas mileage. I'm lucky if I can get 325 on a tank. You have to driving a lot of highway miles. City traffic does me in, (especially now since Baton Rouge has doubled in population in the last 2 weeks.) On long trips, I never let it get below 1/2 a tank, which is usually around 200 miles, so I guess it would be upwards of 400mpg if all I drove were highway miles.

I think the climate and regional blend of gas play a big role in mileage. So really, comparing this s*** from region to region is pretty useless in my eyes. I've been trending my mileage since I bought the car (approx. 1 year ago) and am averaging 26mpg over every mile and ounce of gas I have used.

It's the 70mph speed limit and the mountains. And the load. The funny thing is that my big ole wagon stock got 19mpg doing the same trip. With modification it'll get 22-24 or better on the highway.

Would a SRI improve mpg? Proof, if possible lol. I'm trying to justify buying one lol.

aMaff said:
Would a SRI improve mpg? Proof, if possible lol. I'm trying to justify buying one lol.

it would but i bet that yours would go down because you would drive harder.........

What are you trying to say? No, I'd drive the same on the road, but I still dunno if it's worth it tho, cuz to race H-Stock u have to have original intake plumbing, which, if I'm not mistaken, means no intake kits, and I'd have to keep changing back and forth...probably not such a good idea, huh?

Last edited:
PITA if you have to change it all the time......

it sounds much better over the factory intake and sounds very good keeping the engine in the upper PRM's.......i sure keep mine in the upper RPM's and get good milage.....i can get 30-33 going 70-75 mph on the highway taking it easy on the throttle......better going slower....!!!!!

Well, I've got an Injen CAI, OBX header, HKS Hiper axleback, VTCS removal, and I still average 32-34 mpg.

Mike R said:
Well, I've got an Injen CAI, OBX header, HKS Hiper axleback, VTCS removal, and I still average 32-34 mpg.

So I guess you don't drive your P5 as hard as I do(burnout)!

Phoenix5 said:
So I guess you don't drive your P5 as hard as I do(burnout)!

he probably takes it easy while cruising on the highway.......i have been driving my car easy becasue i really want it to last a long time!

Per tank? Meaning you're calculating from the supposed total fuel capacity? Or are you actually calculating from when you fill up the gas? I get 330 miles on the amount of gas filled from when the needle is just above the lowest mark on the gas gauge. And I drive pretty slow usually, so I'm a bit disappointed with my current milage.

is that using a full tank (around 14 gallons) becasue that is like mid 20's MPG which is not bad......

i usually fill up when my light comes on and i take around 12 gallons. i uaually get around 300 miles (my normal driving) before the light comes on which is around 25 MPG.

i am happy with that......

I get about 310-320 before the idiot light comes on. I then put about 12 to 12.5 gallons in, meaning that I have at least another 75 miles before empty.

Sorry if this post makes no sense, I came into this game a bit late, and haven't read the other posts. :)

^^^^

thats like mid 20's for an average which is normal for our cars with a mix of highway/city driving.......

Back