MPINick stage1 turbo upgrade

sweetlou69

:
2003.5 MSP
who has mpinicks stage 1 turbo upgrade done? im thinkin about possibly doin this .just wanted to see how people have like the results? and how is the turbo rebuilt? is it worth 650$ to have him beef up the t25 or should i just spend a grand and get a the gt28rs turbo?

well... what are your HP goals? Does your turbo need to be rebuilt? Mine needed a rebuild at 15k miles and it cost 250 bucks, so an extra 400 for a lot more HP potential isnt bad.

ya i have most of the bolt on mods and im gonna grab the mam manifold this winter so now im lookin for a more powerful turbo..i dont have the 3000$+ for a shortblock so i figured a grand maybe not even for some more power mite not be a bad idea..i just didnt know if the t25 beefed up would be a good way to go..what kind of hp could i notice w/a better t25? any idea?

I ran a 112mph pass and dyno'd 263whp below 4krpm. Best guess est. was around 320-330whp and 340wtrq. That was at 17-19psi. It spooled up just like stock. At around 6-7psi it felt like the stocker at 10.

Def. worth the money.

If your stock turbo is in good working order, then you don't need to upgrade it before building the motor. You can easily push enough power out of the stock turbo to blow even a well tuned stock motor. Most of us that are running upgraded turbos on the stock block are doing it because our stock turbos gave out.

Man this turbo kicks ass!!! i got it done to a msp kit i got then installed. I am just at 5 psi till I get my extra injectors, but this thing pulls really nice for 5 pounds. worth the money. You can check the compressor maps, it shares some the housing of a gt30. So this puppy can flow. blkZZ put down nice numbers, as did focus and dinospeed. Apoc has it done too, and his car was a rocket at 15 pounds.

But this thing needs a built block to feel the full umph of it.

Yeah right. My stock rods gave up on the stock turbo at around 280-285whp.

There is no point in spending the money to upgrade the turbo if you don't plan to build the motor too. You can make enough power with the stock turbo to blow the stock motor. There is a SLIGHT increase in spool time with the reworked turbo but its not worth the $600.

The MPI reworked stock turbo is kickass though. I've helped install 2 this past month, one on a MSP, one on a P5. At 10psi w/ 5 ppl in the MSP, it pulled noticably harder than my MSP tuned @ 12psi. That MSP cracked atleast one ring in all 4 cyl.'s the next week from overboosting... lots of fun huh?

BlkZoomZoom said:
Yeah right. My stock rods gave up on the stock turbo at around 280-285whp.

so, i'm a newb, so pardon me if this is a rediculous question... but, can you get 320whp just by getting new rods and getting this turbo mod?? Or does that figure include all sorts of other mods, as well??

jmv said:
so, i'm a newb, so pardon me if this is a rediculous question... but, can you get 320whp just by getting new rods and getting this turbo mod?? Or does that figure include all sorts of other mods, as well??

I wouldn't go for that without a few key mods. You'll need at least a full exhaust upgrade among other things. The stock IC will get blistering hot in no time at that level too. EMS of some sort will also be a MUST.

505zoom said:
Stock rods, stock turbo... and 285whp? How do you figure that one?

You tell me how I hit a 107.8mph run on the stock turbo, intercooler, engine without having around 280whp. I originally thought it was around 260whp but everybody keeps telling me it had to have more.

Still waiting to see what times you run.

Using a HP calculator (not super accurate), you are were making around 295 whp. How did you keep from detonating with the stock IC?

Spooled said:
Using a HP calculator (not super accurate), you are were making around 295 whp. How did you keep from detonating with the stock IC?

Lots of fuel, alot of timing retard and a ton of co2 dumped on it. 295whp seems alittle high. I still don't think it was much over 275.

Last edited:
mx3ownzj00 said:
There is no point in spending the money to upgrade the turbo if you don't plan to build the motor too. You can make enough power with the stock turbo to blow the stock motor. There is a SLIGHT increase in spool time with the reworked turbo but its not worth the $600.

The MPI reworked stock turbo is kickass though. I've helped install 2 this past month, one on a MSP, one on a P5. At 10psi w/ 5 ppl in the MSP, it pulled noticably harder than my MSP tuned @ 12psi. That MSP cracked atleast one ring in all 4 cyl.'s the next week from overboosting... lots of fun huh?

so ur sayin dont rebuild the turbo or upgrade the gt28rs until i do the motor?

definitely. stock motor is good to like 250 with an engine management and carefull driving. and stock turbo is good for that power

ya looks like ill have to bite the bullet and start savin for that beast...is there any other worthy mods i can do sides the mam manifold.im prob gonna get that this winter.ive got the (tbe,fmic,cai,mpi,bov,mbc and the intake mani soon on the way)

BlkZoomZoom said:
You tell me how I hit a 107.8mph run on the stock turbo, intercooler, engine without having around 280whp. I originally thought it was around 260whp but everybody keeps telling me it had to have more.

Yea man, I honestly don't trust those trap to HP calculators too much, but I don't doubt your time slips or your lack of mods. Still though, even you have to admit that you are an exception to the rule when it comes to getting good times out of the msp in stockish form. Most people will run out of motor long before they run out of turbo... or at least that seems to be the trend.

BlkZoomZoom said:
Still waiting to see what times you run.

The rain here has been nuts man. I honestly have been ready to go down to the track every Friday night (except for 1 when I was out of town) for the last 2 months, and it has been rained out every time. I thought this was the desert and all too.:( A 505timeslip is coming soon for sure.

Back