MP5 speaker and head unit replacement

2003P55spd

:
Mazda Protege 5 5 spd N/A
Hi everyone. I am recently a proud owner of a 2003 MP5 with a CD player that skips everything. I was wandering if anyone has had luck replacing the factory Head unit with an after market one. Did you replace the speakers? My speakers seem to be doing just fine for now.
Questions:
Can you replace the head unit and speakers and keep the factory sub? Any suggestions? I have the 6 speaker system with factory tweeters in the door and a factory sub in the spare tire. Any insight would be much appreciated! I am excited about this car! Looking forward to the forum.
Rusty

You can do whatever you like. If you want to get a new head unit go for it, you don't need new speakers unless you want them. And nothing will effect the spare tire sub, the amp is internal, and the whole thing is just run off the rear speakers.

Thanks for the response! If i understand correctly, you are saying that the sub has its own amp, and that the audio signal to the amp is coming from the rear speakers?
so my questions are, if i replace just the HU it will essentially send out 4 channels, FR FL RR RL. The tweeters in the door will still work correct?

My next question: Since the factory HU will be replaced, is there usually a way to control the sub levels? I would hate to get an aftermarket HU and not be able to adjust the sub from the deck as there is no control on the sub itself. Also, what are the phase and gain functions on the Subwoofer itself? Phase and gain?

Thanks again! I am excited about my new little Hatchback!

That is correct. The tweeters run off the front speakers.

The only adjustablility you have with the sub would be done by adjusting what is sent to the rear speakers. If your hu has filters they are a big help. otherwise youve got just your fader. Along with the adjustments on the sub itself of course. Which there are lots of places to read about phase and gain.

Yep. Buy a wiring install kit and it will do what you need to keep the sub and door speakers ;)

Buy a double din 7" touchscreen and add a back up camera.
Buy a Pioneer AppRadio and use your phone for nav (Waze app) and wireless BT to the phone...

I am debating using an FM Transmitter with Bluetooth functionality for hands free streaming and calling. I just love CDs and MP3 cds though! I don't think there will be a ton of sound quality improvement unless i did a whole system with speakers. The P5 i just got has 215,000 miles on it, not sure how much i want to invest. I love this car though! So conflicted!(boom01)

I am debating using an FM Transmitter with Bluetooth functionality for hands free streaming and calling. I just love CDs and MP3 cds though! I don't think there will be a ton of sound quality improvement unless i did a whole system with speakers. The P5 i just got has 215,000 miles on it, not sure how much i want to invest. I love this car though! So conflicted!(boom01)

My buddies that used the FM transmitters always had trouble with them.

A good double din Bluetooth unit can be had for 200 bucks, and you might be surprised with the sound quality improvement.

I'm sure the hands free interface will be better as well.

Back