MP3 in the 08.5

Trader

:
2008.5 MS3 - MSCAI2 as SRI,Cobb AP, CPE MM
I am looking to pick up a 08 speed 3 and would like to know more about the MP3 player. I am assuming that the stereo has flash memory so you can download mp3's directly to the stereo? What is the interface like with the mp3's is it a pain in the arse to find the song you want?

Could somebody elaborate on the usability of the MP3 player.

Also could somebody take pics of the 08.5 sport seats.

If the 08.5's seats and MP3 is worth it, I will definately wait to find the 08.5 in the color I want.

Thanks

There is a mini-stereo input jack below the armrest, along with a 12v power source (in addition to the one on the dashboard) but you can't seem to charge your mp3 player while playing via the aux input jack. I don't think there's anyway way to synchronize your mp3 player with the stereo without spending more money...

The mp3 feature on the stereo is for playing mp3 files burned onto a cdr, At first I was dumping all the files into one big root directory on the discs, but to make it easier to sort them out I tried folders, then I was cussing the folders since I couldn't easily figure out how to fast forward through them, then recently I discovered that holding down the cd up or cd down button allows you to cycle up and down through the folders without waiting for it to do it on it's own during playback. Now I am very happy with the mp3 playback :)

6 discs x 150 per disc = 900 songs total, or just a HELL of a lot of music before repeating.

you can charge your player using the acc. plug in the armrest no problem. just hook up this: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...0&i=127SNI135&tp=2653&tab=review&rvm=ShowAllt

and you'll eliminate 100% of the noise/static due to interference.

I have it integrated with my iPod and the excellent Creative xMod. Pics here
http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/20085_mazdaspeed_3

There is a mini-stereo input jack below the armrest, along with a 12v power source (in addition to the one on the dashboard) but you can't seem to charge your mp3 player while playing via the aux input jack. I don't think there's anyway way to synchronize your mp3 player with the stereo without spending more money...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '08.5 and do have some complaints with the MP3 capabilities.

- I have not yet figured out how to quickly skip to the next song when using the random feature. Most MP3 players assume when you hit 'next' you want the next random song -- the MS3's unit (at least my Bose) jumps to the next file in order; for example, you're listening to file 23 and hitting 'next' takes you to 24 and subsequently disables random. You can simply hit the random button twice which disables random, re-enables random and jumps to a new random song. Eh...
- I have found the MP3 system (again, at least on my Bose) to be very particular about the ID3 tags on MP3s. I've used two different ripping programs (and did some testing), and at least for me, ID3v2 tags work... but if I EVER edit the ID3v2 tag, neither the ID3v1 or the ID3v2 can be read by the system -- and subsequently no song information will be displayed inside the car. I am using WinAMP to edit the ID3v2 tags -- which could certainly be the problem. All that said... if you rip MP3s with ONLY ID3v1 tags, you don't have anything to worry about.
- Similar to the previous point... the LCD display can only display 12 characters which limits how much of an Artist/Album/Song Title can be displayed without 'scrolling' but this isn't ultimately a problem with the MP3 capabilities.

In the end, however, having MP3 capabilities is a very nice thing to have and these issues wouldn't keep me from deciding between having and not having the MP3. Of course, with the Aux jack with the addition of an iPod, etc... MP3 capability isn't as necessary. Hope this helps...

I am looking to pick up a 08 speed 3 and would like to know more about the MP3 player. I am assuming that the stereo has flash memory so you can download mp3's directly to the stereo? What is the interface like with the mp3's is it a pain in the arse to find the song you want?

Could somebody elaborate on the usability of the MP3 player.

Also could somebody take pics of the 08.5 sport seats.

If the 08.5's seats and MP3 is worth it, I will definately wait to find the 08.5 in the color I want.

Thanks

The other's have said what you need to know about the mp3-cdr playing capabilities of the Bose stereo.

And about the seats, I'm assuming you're talking about the leather/alacantra seats of the "GT" model, and not the seats of the "sport" model. I think you'll find a lot of opinions of those seats. There are those of us who love them. I find them supremely comfortable and considering the seating surface is alacantra suede, it works wonders for places with really hot climates where leather in a boiling hot car is rather unplesant. I do not regret getting them. But you'll find people who don't like them. And if seat heaters are important for you, they are nowhere to be had in the MS3.

The seats get my recomendation, but it's one of those things you need to feel for yourself to be sure.

you can charge your player using the acc. plug in the armrest no problem. just hook up this: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...0&i=127SNI135&tp=2653&tab=review&rvm=ShowAllt

and you'll eliminate 100% of the noise/static due to interference.

Sweeet!! *runs out to try and find one*

Latest posts

Back